SiouxSports.com Forum

Dogs and Gophers

dagies

I would expect to see MN looking completely differently tonite. They seem to have put the first half of the season behind them. If true, it should be a tight game tonite. That said, I'm really impressed with Duluth right now. They look to be one excellent team that is playing well.

If MN gets handled tonite, maybe they had a nice peak mid-season but the first half form is who they are. Doubtful that's the case though. Would be a great game to watch tonite. Wish I could.

It would not surprise me at all to see the Gophs get a victory tonight. A good old fashioned butt kicking is not always such a bad thing for a team to take. Helps re-align the attitudes.

As much as it sickens me to watch the gopher celebrate any victory, I would like to see that tonight. My heart is with Duluth, but not when they come between the Sioux and a Cup. To that, I say, Go 'Dogs! Beat the he|_|_ out of the gopher for 60 minutes and then lose by a controversial goal in overtime.

taz

I'd expect more effort from the Gophs tonight also, although playing keepaway on a small ice surface doesn't work the way it does on a big surface. Still they shouldn't be losing those races down the ice at all positions the way they did last night.

I thought the Goph PP was fairly good, except for getting the puck by Reichmuth.

Look for the gophers to comeback tonight, atleast making it a game. Last nights game was embarrassing! G-Potulny should be back either next week or the following....R-Potulny is unsure if he will redshirt or skate again this season....read in paper (G-Potulny) is ahead of schedule

Look for the gophers to comeback tonight, atleast making it a game. Last nights game was embarrassing! G-Potulny should be back either next week or the following....R-Potulny is unsure if he will redshirt or skate again this season....read in paper (G-Potulny) is ahead of schedule

A few notes:

1. Didn't the Sioux win Friday night in Minneapolis and then lose on Saturday? This UMD vs UMN series, thus far, has reminded me of that weekend. I suspect that UMN will win 2-1 or at most by 2 goals.

2. R Potulny should already have redshirted. His injury was serious and even if it was possible for him to come back during the playoffs, how much is the risk worth? The Gophers are a deep team if they can remain focused. If I were Ryan, I'd have redshirted already and focused on next season. Heck, he'd probably have the corner market on WCHA ROTY if not NCAA ROTY award that way. However, if he does redshirt, don't tell Golden Goph. It'd break his heart. :D

"Oh Lord, we beg thee that our bitter rivals do their job tonight and beat the mangy mutts of Duloot. We realize that this is a bizarre request oh Lord, but we need the vermin to win in order to benefit our beloved Sioux. As well, oh Lord, we pray that you grant your anointed son, Zach Christo, more divine powers so that he may smite the flea-bitten felines tonight. Please bless and keep Saint Bucks and help him to destroy the enemy tonight with his divine Easton staff and make his line Money. We thank you dear Lord for our Temple of Hockey, and pray that it will soon see another Title banner raised. In the name of Toe Blake, Maurice Richard and Tiger Williams (even though he's not dead yet), Amen."

You guys shouldn't be reduced to rooting for the Gophers.

If the Gophers are going to have any chance against UMD or UND in the post season they are going to have to figure out a way to win the special teams battle.

UMD is putting a clinic on with their PP.

Even if UMD takes the McNaughton, unless UND loses three straight to UMD, UND will be the #1 out west. That is FAR more important.

I don't see how the Gophers are going to get two by Reichmuth in the third. I'm calling a 2-2 tie.

UMD is clearly in the drivers seat now and the McNaughton is their's to lose. They looked absolutely fantastic the little bit I saw of them this weekend. They remind me a little of the 96-97 Sioux team.

On a positive note, when UND goes to Duluth in a couple weeks, at least they'll be the underdog for a change. If UND can play UMD tough and get some points, it could be the momentum they need going into the playoffs.

And the Gophers defensive effort looks MUCH better with Vanek in the pressbox.

You hit the nail on the head there. They were always trying to spring Vanek out of the zone, to the point where he was leaving as soon as the Gophs even got a sniff of the puck.

UMD the better team this weekend. Much better speed and goal tending., UND better watch out. The Gophs had a HUGE time adapting to the smaller ice sheet (misqued passes, bad positional choices, etc.)...does not bode well if that trend continues. On Saturday (yes, prolly all discussed, but I am not going to read all that) Gophers definitely played a more dominant role in the game, but Riech...(sp) played excellent. UMD a very fast, quick team that stifled many attempts at binging 2 points home for us. New prediction from me is UMD will get WCHA regular season. They are real this year and are fired up (but still only have WOMEN'S hockey banners! :) )

WPoS

You hit the nail on the head there. They were always trying to spring Vanek out of the zone, to the point where he was leaving as soon as the Gophs even got a sniff of the puck.

AND ... to finish the thought ... UMD gave UM-TC no time to float the long pass.

Plus, UMD's defensemen jump into the play SO WELL, that the Dogs create a lot of 3-on-2's down low ... that's something that the Sioux have definitely changed style since Sandy left. (Nick Fuher will pinch effectively, otherwise our D plays conservatively at the point ...)

I though it was very fitting, with the way some Gophs fans were downplaying the earlier sweep (it was a different Gophs team...etc.), that the series was not even close this time!! 4-3 (ot), 4-2 at Mariucci, 6-1, 4-1 at DECC. I guess it IS a different Gophs team (last time they had some offense) :) .

All fun aside, the Gophers looked dangerous at times, but never seemed to get in rythm with their offensive attack.

Outstanding PK and defense by the Dogs this season.