SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. CC

AZSIOUX

That can vary from person to person.  One of the main side-effects of mono is an enlarged spleen.  Once enlarged it can burst much more easily.  If Olson had that issue, they wouldn't allow him to have contact until the swelling goes down.  It's possible you didn't have to go through that.

I had mono after my senior year of high school and I won't only really down for a couple days, but you really do have to be careful about making sure you get enough sleep.  If you push yourself too hard too soon it definitely can relapse.

Just saw this.

Agree that it varies and you do have to be careful not to push yourself too hard. I haven't personally had it, but I've seen cases with athletes missing a couple weeks to a whole season. One of my cross country teammates in high school was never the same after contracting mono. (He actually got it twice in one year. Poor guy). Depending how it affects you, you could go from star athlete to depth guy when you eventually make it back.

Just saw this.

Agree that it varies and you do have to be careful not to push yourself too hard. I haven't personally had it, but I've seen cases with athletes missing a couple weeks to a whole season. One of my cross country teammates in high school was never the same after contracting mono. (He actually got it twice in one year. Poor guy). Depending how it affects you, you could go from star athlete to depth guy when you eventually make it back.

My brother got it at the tail end of football season and was fine for the start of the basketball season about four weeks later.  He still felt tired for the first half of the season.