SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. LSSU - Saturday Gameday

AZSIOUX

That was odd - I was watching and wondering what might be going on.

I'll give you that they did play better on Saturday, but I never felt like LSSU was really a threat during the game.  A big change was that we actually won face-offs in the first half of the game on Saturday.  It seemed like we lost most of the early ones on Friday, which lead directly to their scoring chances.  Simonson did a great job in that respect, especially considering how outsized/outmuscled he appeared to be at time, only to win the puck cleanly.

I felt that way too about the outcome. The difference in team speed was obvious.

I felt that way too about the outcome. The difference in team speed was obvious.

I think that when UND is on top of it's game, they're as fast as any team they've played this season. I also don't see any reason UND should't be in the Frozen Four this season. UND's top line is flat out hard to beat down the ice, they're straight line speed is awesome. I know some fans are butt hurt that UND is ranked number one in the USCHO Poll and that Harvard or UMD should be number one instead. 

I think that when UND is on top of it's game, they're as fast as any team they've played this season. I also don't see any reason UND should't be in the Frozen Four this season. UND's top line is flat out hard to beat down the ice, they're straight line speed is awesome. I know some fans are butt hurt that UND is ranked number one in the USCHO Poll and that Harvard or UMD should be number one instead.

Miami's forwards could motor. Speed in hockey is a funny thing. So much depends on rhythm and anticipation. A good passing team will look fast.

But this year's team has real nice speed up and down the lineup, and they can play the greasy game too. Not a lot of elite level ability but a real nice mix of character and skill. Another thing I like is the fact that they are not soft but most of the boys seem to have learned to keep their composure pretty well when someone is trying to egg them into the box.

One-and-done playoffs are impossible to predict, but I like this team's chances.

Thought I'd chime on on this:

Those butt hurt fans crack me up. 

UND is number one because they've been the most consistent team among those that were highly ranked since the start of the season. UND is the only team that has been ranked in the top 5 all season long by the polls.  People want to take the pairwise into consideration with the polls and it's like, that's not the point of the polls. The polls want to know who the voters think is the best team in the country, not who is the best team that has played the toughest schedule in the toughest conference, etc. The polls are an opinion ranking and the Pairwise is a statistical ranking. By the end of the season the two will start to look a bit more similar. Right now it's just a crap shoot. That's why people say the polls don't matter. (But yet a lot of those people are the same ones getting mad about the polls)

Harvard ( :silly:)

(I only like being ranked #1 because I can go into work in Minneapolis and don't even get chirped anymore. It's so peaceful!)