SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Stats

darell1976

I think we will see about 10 defensive backs added through jucu, fbs drop downs, and high school kids, and see who pans out on the roster. This is a passing league........ I guess the silver lining with some of the pass yardage is we can improve on ball skills and mental mistakes and that will go a long ways with the current guys we have.

Seeing how our rushing improved from last year says a lot with the OL we had. Usually an OL that has a passing offense will struggle with a rushing offense and vise versa. Having a balanced lineman would be ideal and hopefully Bubba will get those guys plus some that favor the run game. Too bad we gave up more passing yards this season, I thought Tillman was a beast and wished he had more time with us. I am very excited for next year to get here and see what recruits will start and see how improved this team has gotten since the last game played.

I think we will see about 10 defensive backs added through jucu, fbs drop downs, and high school kids, and see who pans out on the roster. This is a passing league........ I guess the silver lining with some of the pass yardage is we can improve on ball skills and mental mistakes and that will go a long ways with the current guys we have.

We do have some good talent in the secondary that is young (Reyes, C.Carter, D. Harris, etc.), but I do agree with you; need to add some more talent in the back end.

10?

Seeing how our rushing improved from last year says a lot with the OL we had. Usually an OL that has a passing offense will struggle with a rushing offense and vise versa. Having a balanced lineman would be ideal and hopefully Bubba will get those guys plus some that favor the run game. Too bad we gave up more passing yards this season, I thought Tillman was a beast and wished he had more time with us. I am very excited for next year to get here and see what recruits will start and see how improved this team has gotten since the last game played.

Those stats are a bit skewed. First off, games like SJSU and EWU kill stats like these, but most importantly, teams were forced to throw and abandon the run. That's part of the reason sack numbers and TFL's went way up; QBs were throwing more with more 3rd and long situations forced. Personally, I think the passing defense will improve quite nicely next year with a combination of young talent returning and some transfers brought it.
  • Upvote 1

10?

With nickel and dime packages and a few injuries we will need to be 8 deep in the secondary to be solid all season. We are 3-4 deep with Reyes being the only stud? We lost 2 starters, so if we bring in 10, 2-3 of those don't pan out and 2-3 on the current roster are buried on the depth chart, maybe quit, the net net net 10 number isn't unreasonable.

With nickel and dime packages and a few injuries we will need to be 8 deep in the secondary to be solid all season. We are 3-4 deep with Reyes being the only stud? We lost 2 starters, so if we bring in 10, 2-3 of those don't pan out and 2-3 on the current roster are buried on the depth chart, maybe quit, the net net net 10 number isn't unreasonable.

What about Flowers? Does he count? And remember how many secondary players were true FR this year. We can't afford use 1/3 of our recruiting class on the secondary. We have too many other needs.

I'm thinking real good this season!!  Why not the best in the Big Sky this year?  Some of those Freshman are playing like vets now.   Some help from the offense NO TO and give the Defense some rest and they are tough.

Good call. They finished first in total defense and first in rushing defense. If you think the QB's and QB's mothers were mad this year,...................

What about Flowers? Does he count? And remember how many secondary players were true FR this year. We can't afford use 1/3 of our recruiting class on the secondary. We have too many other needs.

Jury is still out on Flowers. To your point, we do need to balance out the numbers based on 'needs'. Do transfers this winter count for the total number of players next fall?

Yup. I think Bubba had said 30 total is the max.

I guess Hannible and Sleight didn't count because they never were on the team and those spots are available now. So we have 32 spots open and given the complexity of our defense at the safety position, we would like a transfer now that can begin learning the calls and get a spring ball under his belt.

I guess Hannible and Sleight didn't count because they never were on the team and those spots are available now. So we have 32 spots open and given the complexity of our defense at the safety position, we would like a transfer now that can begin learning the calls and get a spring ball under his belt.

30 per year is an NCAA limit for FCS schools. I believe it's to eliminate over signing and discourage running players off.