SiouxSports.com Forum

Summer hockey thoughts.... chances of a regional in Sioux Falls?

nodak651

I know it's been talked about before, but it's summer and I don't feel like reading about Rocco's departure. The arena below has been built in Sioux Falls.

How soon until a regional gets played here, assuming the playoff structure remains the same?

Would Omaha put a bid in to host here?

Would you rather host a regional here, instead of Fargo?

Likelihood of a sell-out?

Will an exhibition game ever be played here?

sanford.png

I know it's been talked about before, but it's summer and I don't feel like reading about Rocco's departure. The arena below has been built in Sioux Falls.

How soon until a regional gets played here, assuming the playoff structure remains the same?

Would Omaha put a bid in to host here?

Would you rather host a regional here, instead of Fargo?

Likelihood of a sell-out?

Will an exhibition game ever be played here?

sanford.png

I don't see Omaha wanting to host a regional there. It's more likely that after Omaha builds their new arena that they would put in a bid for the Century Link Center to host a regional.

Here's an idea I floated to the SCSU athletic director: St. Cloud State plays host to the west regional at the Target Center the same year the Gophers play host to the midwest regional at the Xcel. There are several reasons why I think this would work out really well...

• The Twin Cities is a great college hockey market. The NCAA makes bank here.

• It doesn't matter who gets placed at the Xcel, the Gophers will draw.

• The Huskies would draw better than Cinncinnati or Toledo has in the past couple of years, especially if UMD, UW, MSUM, or UND was placed here.

• If the Huskies missed the tounament, the NCAA Tournament selection committee would bend over backwards to get UND into this regional

It's the last two points I think would appeal to UND fans. It'd be your best opportunity to appear in front of a very UND friendly crowd WITHOUT the Gopher fans in attendance.

Weems and Teague would have to coordinate. I assume Faison and (UMD's) Berlo would at least endorse the plan.

Thoughts?