SiouxSports.com Forum

Should Hakstol Change Recruiting Philosophy?

werewolfoflondon

Clearinghouse can be a nightmare.

Hasn't there been issues with women hockey players from Europe with eligibility? Does it have something to do with a completely different education system? NCAA rules are modeled on North American education systems and Europe throws a wrench into the gears.

Hasn't there been issues with women hockey players from Europe with eligibility? Does it have something to do with a completely different education system? NCAA rules are modeled on North American education systems and Europe throws a wrench into the gears.

Correct, women's hockey has had an issue with it more than once. I don't know off the top of my head, but guessing it has to do with a different education system and the equivalencies to ensure that they meet minimum standards.

I've been wondering why the coaching staff doesn't try to recruit European players.

I heard a while back after Spirko left that they wanted to get away from the European recruits(not like we've had many as Spirko is the only one I recall) even though Spirko was a good player here. I believe he got homesick and left after only two seasons. I am not sure exactly why but I would guess clearinghouse issues and other difficulties.