SiouxSports.com Forum

Digesting the crazy weekend

01grad

I think the gophers played very tough this weekend. This is the first time in a long time I can remember us getting outshot for two games in a row. On Saturday it looked like we were already happy that we had won the night before and the fact that we had already earned at least a split. I also think that a loss to a tough team might just help bring us back down to earth, so we can start a new mean streak at home against Denver.

Hopefully the team takes this loss better than some of the Sioux fans I am reading about. This isn't the end of the world and we need to move on. There aren't any excuses for the outcome and many things that happen in a game determine the outcome. I don't agree with everybody that is putting the blame on referees. It isn't solely their fault, though sometimes they make it a tough go. A good team will not use these excuses but rather fight their way through tough situations and succeed somehow as we have done thus far.

As some others have said, it is very good to see that our goaltending gave us a chance both nights, hats off to Brandt and Parise who made some spectacular saves. We need to play a little more disciplined still, but I really like our composure. There is no need to panic, we split with a good team that worked very hard both nights.

We needed a little swift kick in the behind from the gophers to keep us focused and ready for anything.

I just feel bad for the Pioneers who come to town next weekend for we are going to take out our frustrations on them and swiftly kick them in the behind Friday and Saturday!

:silly:;):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hopefully the team takes this loss better than some of the Sioux fans I am reading about. This isn't the end of the world and we need to move on.

Your right I predicted a split for this weekend and that is what happened. UND too 3 of 4 games from the Gophers this season and this is only our 3 loss. UND has the least amount of losses in the WCHA this season and has only lost 6 points all season. Look at the silver lining folks its not the end of the world. We got decent goaltending all weekend and I think UND limited Vanek to 2 points over 4 games not too if you ask me. Now I hope UND moves on and continues with the fine season. I predict they will. UND lost 10 games in 1997 so I think we are doing quite a bit better this season.

There isn't any reason to start mudslinging the gophers and their fans. I think both teams took some dirty or perhaps extra little shots at each other, but that's what happens in a heated rivalry. I am pretty sure that we will meet up with the gophers again this season whether it be in the final five or NCAA's and we will prove who is the better team at seasons end. Our teams actions then will determine who is best, not our words.

The end result was about what I expected, a split. Both teams played hard for the most part and did what they had to in order to notch 2 pts each. It was actually a nice demonstration of what hockey should be, fast paced and end-to-end, a concept which some programs fail to grasp. Of course it got chippy and tough at times, the best hockey rivalries are physical and this is no different. Minnesota played hard and they played to win both nights, and so did we. This series was no different from any other hard-fought Sioux-Gopher series: tough, physical and a great test for both programs.

The results are what they are, and it's time to move on and look toward the next series. So quit your bitching about refs, calls, fans, ice, etc. ;):silly:

I put this on POI, but it applies here as well:

------------------------

As a Sioux fan, here is what I wondered going into the weekend: how would UND handle the heat when a really good team poured on the pressure? Would they melt or stay composed?

I have had the question answered to my satisfaction, and I leave the weekend pleased, and with two points. MN played great. I would grade the periods: Even, MN, Sioux, Even, MN, MN. The Gophers brought the heat in the last two periods tonight, and despite the shot totals, UND actually played pretty well in their own end. They let the goalie see the first shot, then they picked up their guys and cleared rebounds. It was a good defensive effort on the road against a great team, including having quite a lot of penalty-killing to do.

This might sound funny to you guys since MN played so well tonight in getting the win, but for the first time I'm OK if UND has to play MN again later this year. I'm not saying they'll win, but I am confident now that they measure up. I am confident that all the ingredients are in place for a run, dangerous top-end offensive players, good depth, tough defensive defensemen, and goaltending. If there is still an Achilles heel, it is goaltending.

As for MN, you guys will miss Koalska and Riddle. Sertich has sure gotten better. I really like that hack Taylor, but I appreciate the finer points of brutality on defense (of course I would as a Sioux fan).

I fully expect to see these two teams at the end of the year. I thought the hockey this weekend was awesome, including tonight's game, which I thought was more closely contested than the shots indicate. I told my wife about two-thirds through the third that this period is just fantastic hockey - the kind of intensity only the college game provides.

Good luck the rest of the way, except when you're playing anybody.

------------------------------

The Sioux goaltending has been outstanding, especially this weekend, so I guess when I say I still have a question about it I mean in comparison to the rest of the team. I think UND's offense and defense will be dangerous and stifling, respectively, the rest of the way. Because it is so crucial, I worry more about the goaltending than those other aspects of the team.

I think this was the best I have seen ZPar play, and I thought it was Schneider's best weekend as well. Ryan Hale also earned himself a spot in the lineup next weekend, IMO.

what a weekend of Hockey! IMO the best I will see all season till playoffs! Forecheck said some pertinant things in another thread, both teams played hard and ended up with a split, both well deserved points. If anyone wants to agrue that go ahead, you will lose. I THOROUGHLY enjoyed this series, what a bunch of great hockey...can anymore be said?

Shooting a short shot at cfm..I will be sitting in MY BMW in the third stall of my garage tomorrow (why would anyone drive a BMW in the winter in MN?!?!?) listening to the radio as I make sure the battery is up to snuff, listening to the Rouser a few times, just for you! 2 points from UND this year is good points, period!

Again, what a weekend, i look forward to the Final Five even more now!

WPoS

what a weekend of Hockey! IMO the best I will see all season till playoffs! Forecheck said some pertinant things in another thread, both teams played hard and ended up with a split, both well deserved points. If anyone wants to agrue that go ahead, you will lose. I THOROUGHLY enjoyed this series, what a bunch of great hockey...can anymore be said?

Shooting a short shot at cfm..I will be sitting in MY BMW in the third stall of my garage tomorrow (why would anyone drive a BMW in the winter in MN?!?!?) listening to the radio as I make sure the battery is up to snuff, listening to the Rouser a few times, just for you! 2 points from UND this year is good points, period!

Again, what a weekend, i look forward to the Final Five even more now!

WPoS

Hey Pos...enough on the BMW....I have been driving one for 6 years now...why would you drive anything else.

American cars are JUNK. Yep drive it in the winter and never lets me down. Good weekend of hockey. Good win for the Gophers this weekend. I'm on my way to POI to see how much boasting is going on. I will take 3 of 4 any year.

IIf there is still an Achilles heel, it is goaltending.

That's the one thing you said that I really can't agree with. The reason the Sioux penalty kill was so great against the Gophers was because of the goaltending. Both Jordan and Jake had strong games on the road in a high-pressure situation against one of the best offensive teams in the country. UND has two solid goalies. Minnesota has one. I like our situation much better than theirs.

WPoS . . . .

Sorry I missed you at the game last night. I was in the end where all three goals were scored. That was a break, and fun.

Huge win for the Gophers, but as I said elsewhere, because the Sioux will most likely lose a few between now and April, this one was a good one to lose.

Gophers played a solid game. Took Sioux out of theirs. Gophers outshoot Sioux by a wide margin. Gophers come away with a W by the skin of their chin.

I think the end result of the weekend is that the Sioux will have the upper hand, from a confidence factor, should the teams meet anytime between now and next October.

Geez, was that your Beemer that I saw down by the railroad tracks, and that liquor still that some of the POI'ers operate illegally within the city limits?

NDH, yah never really ventured around the areana last night...WAY to busy and full of people, I would have never made it back in time for puck drops, I Barely did on Friday.

Nope, not my Beemer at the RR tracks, she is nice and snug in the garage for winters...that is what I have my rusty American car for. And shhhh, the fed's don't know about the still! :silly:

Good game as I said earlier, UND sure can play and play with intensity. I have every faith we will see each other again before the end of the season, maybe 2x. UND sure shut down the Gophers PP last night, was amazing to watch that happen, not many teams can do that. Our end didn't get to see any goals, so it was tough last night, but I'll still take the 2pts.

WPoS

Take care of BMW.....salt no problem.....528I.......M3 next up.

ahhh, M3 nice car...I won't upgrade till I have mine paid off and driven for a few years...but whatever is out in 4-5 years along the lines of the M3 would look good in the garage!

WPoS

Have you seen the weather forecast? I'm not sure the sun will be around for a week. :silly:

Figuratively meaning that tomorrows another day and this is not the end of the season. Actually I was just out blowing sunshine all over the place that was sitting in my driveway...

I will be sitting in MY BMW in the third stall of my garage tomorrow (why would anyone drive a BMW in the winter in MN?!?!?)

Having lived in Stuttgart Germany for 26 mounths when I was in the Army( I lived next door to the BMW factory) I think BMW are nice car but nothing close to a Mercedes, you can drive 100 miles an hour and it seem like your going 50. After Germany's actions during the last years I would never buy a german vehicle. Chevy all the way Like a Rock...

as much fun as I COULD have driving it in the snow...I'll stick to my Trusty Rusty Sunbird till it dies for winter...I just don't trust the other yahoos that much in winter...the 'bird is ok if it gets dinged! It would just add (at this point) to it's character!

for car care I follow the Audi Clubs guidlines for car care with the BMW...

Audi insane car care

WPoS

as much fun as I COULD have driving it in the snow...I'll stick to my Trusty Rusty Sunbird till it dies for winter...I just don't trust the other yahoos that much in winter...the 'bird is ok if it gets dinged! It would just add (at this point) to it's character!

for car care I follow the Audi Clubs guidlines for car care with the BMW...

Audi insane car care

WPoS

I'm starting to wonder if you are as neurotic about your car as my friend is about his.

He has a Pontiac Grand Prix (yeah, a Grand stinking Prix) that he goes nuts over if someone, oh, touches the windows from the inside when there is condensation on the windows, heaven forbit you playce something on the roof, even if it is a drink from McDonalds.