SiouxSports.com Forum

Penelties

Fifth Line

I was watching the game on FOX last night and I would like to know if anyone was as confused as me as to the penelties called against the Sioux especially in the third. Even the Ass Clown broadcasting team noticed the same thing when Bochenski got speared. Same thing with about three minutes to go. .

Saw replays and it was interesting. Genoway gets called for slashing the stick behind the play and Bochenski gets speared. What probably happened is that Taylor noticed that none of the officiating crew was looking their way and so he got to take a cheap shot. Just like when Ballard ran Bochenski down after he shot the puck over the boards. The rule of the WCHA states that if you can get away with a cheap shot without fear of official retaliation, you can do it. Parise was the subject in the first period, Bochenski and Murray for the rest of the game.

The real questionable call stemmed from Taylor (Gosh he seems awfully involved don't you think?) beating Murray in the corner. He rightfully drew a double minor for his part, but Murray somehow managed to get penalized. How? Equity I'm sure. Schneider was penalized rightfully for retaliating on behalf of Murray.

Now the murky part is that there should have been a Gopher power play (4x3) resulting from this and then, after two minutes, a Sioux 5x4 penalty (which would have resulted in a 5x3 for a little over 1.5 minutes thanks to Guyer's cheap shot on Brandt). Instead they started out 5x5 and served all the penalties anyways. Very odd. My explanation that I thought of only would explain the first two minutes and even that would be wrong. I said it was coincidental penalities, which would put the teams both at full strength, but how can a double minor be coincidental? And how can Schneider's retaliation be coincidental?

I've seen worse officiating but Parise, Murray, and BOchenski need to be careful tonight.

The penalties we took, we deserved with maybe the expception of Greene in the end. Never saw a replay of that one, but a ballsy call by an AR when the other team is down by one goal.

The two calls that really bugged me were the no call Taylor spear and the no call Gopher stick slash after Genoway was called for one just three minutes before. I also think that Prpichs high stick (which lead to the 5x3) could have used a dive call as well. I do need to see some replays on that however.

The penalties we took, we deserved with maybe the expception of Greene in the end. Never saw a replay of that one, but a ballsy call by an AR when the other team is down by one goal.

The two calls that really bugged me were the no call Taylor spear and the no call Gopher stick slash after Genoway was called for one just three minutes before. I also think that Prpichs high stick (which lead to the 5x3) could have used a dive call as well. I do need to see some replays on that however.

The make up late PP was so predictable it made me laugh. It happens all the time in the WCHA, the refs felt guilty about the Sioux PP goals, so they try to make it up. I don't think they do it intentionally, but they do it. No other league in the world does the team trailing by a goal get a "last" PP chance to tie it up.

Bochenski makes it tough on the refs. He goes down in a heep so frequently (at least he did last night), they don't know when he is diving and when he is not. Parise was the complete opposite, hardly ever went down, despite the attention he receives.

The Gopher slash with 3 minutes left is what really annoyed me. If that was a slash on Genoway, it sure was a slash on Ballard (?). He brought his stick up to his shoulders to make the slash. Whatever though. To expect consistant officiating is a pipe dream. For the Bochenski spear, how did Sheppard miss it? He saw the Genoway slash that was right next to the Taylor spear. Was he 50% blind or what? Whether or not Bochenski was diving all over the ice, a spear is a spear and Sheppard had to have seen it.

The point isn't if UND deserved all the penalties, but if the calls were being made both ways. They were not, therefore the officiating sucked. It was very obvious that every zebra was trying to help the goofers, so I know exactly why the spear wasn't called. Bochenski coming down with a chance to score, Shepherd isn't going to watch him to see if anyone does anything to prevent him scoring. Rather, he was looking at the other Sioux players to do his best to make sure Bochenski couldn't score. Bochenski doesn't dive, and I offer to spear you sagard, to see if you can skate through it. :D

no fan is ever happy with the reffing, there were PLENTY of noncalls in both directions, so to say UND got anything but the same treatment is a pipe dream. I could name penaties NOT called on UND for every one NOT called on the Gophers.

that is the case with so-so reffing, one must learn to deal with it.

WPoS

Bochenski doesn't dive, and I offer to spear you sagard, to see if you can skate through it. :D

Bochenski was diving in the third, before and after the spear. The spear was probably the only thing on camera. Maybe diving isn't right, embellishing perhaps?

I'll take a pass on the spear, thanks.

The Gopher slash with 3 minutes left is what really annoyed me.

Ballard slashed clean through the guys stick right? Usually called, but the WCHA refs wanted a tie game, and to put the Gophs short there would not have helped the cause.

Hopefully we will get the real test tonight, with the Gophers up a goal late!

no fan is ever happy with the reffing, there were PLENTY of noncalls in both directions, so to say UND got anything but the same treatment is a pipe dream. I could name penaties NOT called on UND for every one NOT called on the Gophers.

that is the case with so-so reffing, one must learn to deal with it.

WPoS

The penalties were not even UND got three less. Bochenski was speared and they gave Genoway a penalty for what I have not idea. Biased probably but UofM was getting the better of the calls and UND still found a way to win. The spear should have been a 5 minute major and Bochenski was not diving.

Goofer fans knock his skating ability all the time, yet now it is an excuse to not call a spear? How do you know he didn't fall because of the ice? You know that your ice sucks, right? :D

I would say for a guy that some think is a hack and can't skate he is sure doing a good job leading the nation in goals...

Bochenski was diving in the third, before and after the spear. The spear was probably the only thing on camera. Maybe diving isn't right, embellishing perhaps?

If he was diving in the third it wasn't on TV. I've seen plenty of UND games and never known Bo to dive/embellish. Though I don't look for it, and I think most of the time he falls on his own. :D

Because a player dives is no reason not to call a spear. Give him a diving penalty if that's the case. Diving is the one thing wrecking hockey at all levels.

What irks so many UND fans is that Parise will skate through it and fall here or there and get right back up. Whereas other teams (not saying the Sioux don't do it) players will fall at the touch of a stick and not get up.

Bochenski doesn't dive and there's no excuse for not calling spearing.

No doubt!

Lets not call the stuff that leads to season ending injury. :p

Goofer fans can deny Bo's ability and claim BS like he dives, but I am damn happy that he is a Fighting Sioux. Thanks Coach LuChia Pet!

Oh and the Gophers had some non-calls against them.....please!!!! :D

What did the AR's miss one there!

By the way what does that say when you walk in to the dump Marriucci...

Worst Damn Ice; Ice is not our our pride or something?

Bochenski doesn't dive and there's no excuse for not calling spearing.

Pat's right If you get hit in the stomach with a spear your ussually going to fall down. There is no excuse for that blatant spear not being called Sioux fans its time to email the league office again, I say we flood their email system with valid emails bringing to their attention of the horrible officating. This time I am sending in an email. What are those email addresses again.

Pat's right If you get hit in the stomach with a spear your ussually going to fall down. There is no excuse for that blatant spear not being called Sioux fans its time to email the league office again, I say we flood their email system with valid emails bringing to their attention of the horrible officating. This time I am sending in an email. What are those email addresses again.

I think it would be funny if Sioux fans through Official USA Hockey rulebooks onto the ice at Sheperd at Mariucci :D

Spearing is spearing is spearing is spearing. Period.

if Bo was diving, and I don't believe he was, then Sheperd should have given Bo a penalty for unsportsmanlike (2 minutes) and Taylor a 5 minute major (maybe a misconduct) for spearing.

However, I think we did get away with a minor call on Canady earlier in the game, so WPoS is half right. Canady should have gotten at least a double minor for either checking from behind or boarding. This is why I would suspect Massen will play and Hale will play for Canady.

I think it would be funny if Sioux fans through Official USA Hockey rulebooks onto the ice at Sheperd at Mariucci :D

Spearing is spearing is spearing is spearing. Period.

if Bo was diving, and I don't believe he was, then Sheperd should have given Bo a penalty for unsportsmanlike (2 minutes) and Taylor a 5 minute major (maybe a misconduct) for spearing.

However, I think we did get away with a minor call on Canady earlier in the game, so WPoS is half right. Canady should have gotten at least a double minor for either checking from behind or boarding. This is why I would suspect Massen will play and Hale will play for Canady.

If I am not mistake Brian got a checking from behind penalty and a unsportsmanlike conduct penatly when he boarded the UofM player.

If I am not mistake Brian got a checking from behind penalty and a unsportsmanlike conduct penatly when he boarded the UofM player.

The unsportsmanlike was to offset the penalty lil' Shep had called on Tallackson for giving Canady 'socko' (sounds better than glove-o).

The unsportsmanlike was to offset the penalty lil' Shep had called on Tallackson for giving Canady 'socko' (sounds better than glove-o).

That makes sense... You wouldn't want UND not having to kill a 5-3 penalty...

How many games in a row does that make. It seems like UND has to kill one off every game... :D

I agree there were bad calls on both sides, but I would say that more went our way. What I would like to see the league office review is that on the non-spear call from the camera angle on FOX, you can see the official on the lower left part of the screens arm come up right after spearing incident, that is what drew Brandt off the ice. Then when the Gophers controlled the puck and play was not blown Briggs made his way towards the bench. The tape will show that the call was coming on the spearing, but somehow got lost in translation.

Did they ever figure out why there was a huge hole in the ice, and why the officials missed it in their pre-game inspection? If the hole was as big as some were saying in the friday game thread, then you would think someone would have noticed it before most of the first period had gone by, with the risk to player injury and such.

Comment about that penalty to Greene.....I believe there was a 1:38 left and the Gophs had a face-off in the Sioux zone with a one man advantage - down one goal. I was standing at the center ice rail in section 7 and "a bunch" of Gopher fans were streaming past me heading for the exits. I believe we took the face-off (one of very few that night) and scored the ENG :20 second later. I was floored that fans would head for the exits like that with that much time remaining and them being on the power play.

I was standing at the center ice rail in section 7 and "a bunch" of Gopher fans were streaming past me heading for the exits. I believe we took the face-off (one of very few that night) and scored the ENG :20 second later. I was floored that fans would head for the exits like that with that much time remaining and them being on the power play.

well, the "beat the traffic" crowd is pretty bad at Mecca. :silly:

I on the other hand would rather stay and see the end of the game and do the game end cheers and wait for traffic to die down before heading out to sit in a car for 20 minutes to get out of the lot!

WPoS