SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. British Columbia & Simon Fraser

AZSIOUX

“The University of North Dakota is to (NCAA) hockey, what Duke is to basketball and what Alabama is to football,” says Simon Fraser hockey coach Mark Coletta, whose university-based club program will play the role of the little engine that could Friday and Saturday (Jan. 3-4), when it hosts the 2014 Great Northwest Showcase, a four-team holiday tournament which will include not only the UBC Thunderbirds, but the Fighting Sioux and the Princeton Tigers.

Fighting Sioux :)

Awesome words... This guys knows his hockey! :) Unfortunately said we only had 5 NHL draft picks on our roster.... I commented and let him know that we have 15... don't worry, guys

Any chance we see Hyrnkiw?

I think it'd have to be in mop up fashion against the Thunderbirds, if we get to that point. This is a recruiting tool. Not like the exhibitions against the U.S. Under-18 team... Sure we'll be guarded against getting a player hurt or playing a top-line too much, but I have a feeling this is a couple of games that Hak and Co. really want to win.

So, this international showcase event -- hosted in a truly global city like Vancouver -- is important enough to bring two schools from the states (1,636 and 2,987 miles away, respectively) but is not important enough to televise? Not even a single game? Didn't make sense when they announced the TV schedule, and makes even less sense here on the eve of the tourney. A million degrees below zero out, nothing else on TV...I'd watch the ads at twice the volume and not even complain.

Bottom line: we need more of these games on TV. Even conceding that regular season, conference road games not picked up by the big boys are typically beyond our reach (a different debate altogether), why not the occasional special event?

So, this international showcase event -- hosted in a truly global city like Vancouver -- is important enough to bring two schools from the states (1,636 and 2,987 miles away, respectively) but is not important enough to televise? Not even a single game? Didn't make sense when they announced the TV schedule, and makes even less sense here on the eve of the tourney. A million degrees below zero out, nothing else on TV...I'd watch the ads at twice the volume and not even complain.

Bottom line: we need more of these games on TV. Even conceding that regular season, conference road games not picked up by the big boys are typically beyond our reach (a different debate altogether), why not the occasional special event?

fasthockey.com is a way to watch the games……around $8.00 game….have to login and set up an account