SiouxSports.com Forum

2nd Annual POI vs SS.com Hockey Game

bertibm

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either that or coaching. I'll bet forecheck didn't drop enough F-bombs this year. :angry:

Sadly no, I think I was more timid this year. Maybe it was the beer WPoS (who somebody mistook for my husband ;) ) gave me midway through the game. :angry: I don't know, I think having only 7 skaters last year and a beefy POI guy to goon it up made the Sioux players want it more. The game this year was much more friendly. Anyway, I blame the score on the reffing. :angry: Actually, and this may be my own biased thinking, but I'm sure if the Sioux players all lived in the same area and could practice on a regular basis like the POI team, the game would be much much closer. It's hard to throw a bunch of guys together who don't even know each other's names.

It was a good time though. Fire Chartreuse Musky Killer had a hat trick for SiouxSports, and a bunch of us went out to Old Chicago afterward for a beer and to watch the NCAA selection. I heard it tossed around a bit, but there needs to be some sort of trophy for this game if we keep doing it. If my team was playing for a rusty beer mug or something, I'd start training in May. :angry:

I tried taking a few pictures during the game, but I don't have a digital camera so who knows when I'll get them developed or if they'll turn out. PCM needs to go to these games and cover the media aspect so I can focus my talents on opening and closing the door on the bench. :D And no team picture this year.

Seeing as how the (real) Sioux only play the (real) Gophers in Grand Forks next year, it would be fun to have a warm up game that weekend in Grand Forks if enough people come to the game.

Thanks to all the guys who played in the game! Even though I don't actually play, it's still fun to watch.

Sadly no, I think I was more timid this year. Maybe it was the beer WPoS (who somebody mistook for my husband ;) ) gave me midway through the game. ;) I don't know, I think having only 7 skaters last year and a beefy POI guy to goon it up made the Sioux players want it more. The game this year was much more friendly. Anyway, I blame the score on the reffing. ;) Actually, and this may be my own biased thinking, but I'm sure if the Sioux players all lived in the same area and could practice on a regular basis like the POI team, the game would be much much closer. It's hard to throw a bunch of guys together who don't even know each other's names.

It was a good time though. Fire Chartreuse Musky Killer had a hat trick for SiouxSports, and a bunch of us went out to Old Chicago afterward for a beer and to watch the NCAA selection. I heard it tossed around a bit, but there needs to be some sort of trophy for this game if we keep doing it. If my team was playing for a rusty beer mug or something, I'd start training in May. ;)

I tried taking a few pictures during the game, but I don't have a digital camera so who knows when I'll get them developed or if they'll turn out. PCM needs to go to these games and cover the media aspect so I can focus my talents on opening and closing the door on the bench. ;) And no team picture this year.

Seeing as how the (real) Sioux only play the (real) Gophers in Grand Forks next year, it would be fun to have a warm up game that weekend in Grand Forks if enough people come to the game.

Thanks to all the guys who played in the game! Even though I don't actually play, it's still fun to watch.

I think we were a little like the 1980 US team when they played the Soviets at Madison Square Garden shortly before the Olympics. Not that I'm necessarily drawing parallels to POI and communists ;), but like the US team, we were just kind of thrown together from all parts of the country and didn't really know each other. Whereas POI, like the Soviets, had skated together for decades. They jumped out to an early lead, but we fought back only to lose momentum at the end.

In all seriousness, it was a very fun game. Aside from POI's obvious advantage of having played together (for decades, like the Soviets), SS.com also was saddled with a couple of "fillers," like myself who served no real useful purpose other than to give the core talent a breather and maybe clog up the slot a bit on D. But maybe if Forecheck can find a way to bring us all together as a unit, we can ultimately prevail against The Evil Empire when there's some actual hardware on the line, much the 1980 US team did.