SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs MICHIGAN TECH - Saturday Game 2

AZSIOUX

Wow bunch of pansies coming out of the woodwork after last night. I for one am glad they lost last night. A nice kick to the balls is a good thing right before the final five and national tourney. I'd rather have this than be riding a 20 game winning streak just waiting for them to have an off night in the frozen four. I think we can look back to last nights game as a positive for the team as they get on a seven game winning streak.

And to all you people who only post when the team loses when they shouldn't, gfy.

I agree a little bit. However, it'd be nice to have swept because it would have locked up our spot in the NCAA. A loss tonight puts that in jeopardy now. Also, having Final Five tickets makes me nervous as well. :D

I agree a little bit. However, it'd be nice to have swept because it would have locked up our spot in the NCAA. A loss tonight puts that in jeopardy now. Also, having Final Five tickets makes me nervous as well. :D

Jim just posted they would be around 11/12 if they lost. NCAA probably is there no matter what. That being said they aren't losing tonight! Go sioux

Jim just posted they would be around 11/12 if they lost. NCAA probably is there no matter what. That being said they aren't losing tonight! Go sioux

Haha, yeah, just read that right after I posted. Good to know.

The Final Five tickets still are a factor! :lol:

I'll try to give some perspective as a Gopher fan without being biased or troll-like. Championships are constantly determined by a couple of factors:

1) Great goal-tending.

2) Solid Defense

3) Getting hot at the right time.

4) Depth

It's not hard to see...that at least at this moment...UND is not firing on all four of these factors. There's no clear number #1 goalie that is playing well, the D has had a lot of let down moments, their energy/effort is not as good as it has been at other points, and they are getting most of their production from about 3 guys. I don't see 1 or 4 changing anytime soon; unless of course a goalie just gets hot...it can happen. When you're still debating line combos and who should dress that suggests there's not great depth. Saying the role players suck or can't help is going too far. All the players on a team like MN or UND are talented...but not all are high-end game changers. Regarding #2; the defense has some talent but hasn't seemed to gel. I always remember a Sioux D-core having big, tough guys to play against...not sure that edge is there this year...IDK though because I obviously don't follow it that closely. I know from our perspective we expect a hard hitting (cheap vs tough-nosed depending on your bias) effort from the Sioux and this years series there were hardly many scrums or penalties...they were way more tame than I remember them. Hell UMD played us with way more physicality. Seems there's a lot of concern they fired the wrong assistant. MN certainly did this with Hill and Guentzel and the squad went from very mediocre to very good pretty quickly once it was rectified.

I'd say the Sioux's best shot a a run lies with #3. They have historically been a team that plays very well at crunch time and they certainly can play with a lot of heart and pride; even if it's not happening right now. For this years squad to win...I think they need to get hot, play with passion, and probably get some good fortune to overcome some atypical shortcomings that they wouldn't normally have to worry about. I wouldn't bet on them because when your wondering if you'll even make the tourney that doesn't usually bode well for your chances. That said, I'd rather not face them and they will certainly be a tough out if they do get in...which I think they will.

Serious question...what point in the season would you cite that would give you faith that this team had the winning formula? In other words, what is their high mark you want them to get back to? With MN I could certainly point to efforts against BC, Notre Dame, UND Friday night, even a blowout against a lesser Mich St. What is the Sioux top end effort and, if they could get there, would that be good enough to consistently beat the best in the nation? Time will tell I guess. I'd wish you luck but I'd be lying. :)

I think they're afraid to hit to hard in fear of getting a penalty, seems like when a guy gets hit hard he lays on the ice and than the refs call a penalty IMO

Me too. My first FF better include my favorite team!

Go FIGHTING SIOUX!

11/12 this week and not playing next week could eliminate them, however. Don't take that chance.

8 wins in a row coming up starting tonight!!

I just require five more wins this season. Thats it. They can win tonight and take a huge crap right in the middle of the ice in St. Paul......Just find a way to win this game....then four more. :lol:

I just require five more wins this season. Thats it. They can win tonight and take a huge crap right in the middle of the ice in St. Paul......Just find a way to win this game....then four more. :lol:

Either road works for me :) ha