SiouxSports.com Forum

Two Players Have Left The Team

Sioux04

Developing the UND women's basketball tradition started with great leadership and having the ability to work with players that all had different expectations and abilities. It is sad to see that disappear in one year - - and it is also sad to hear that entering the Big Sky Conference is an excuse. The players and coaches today should of had to play in the North Central Conference with the great competition it had year in and year out. Playing back to back nights weekend after weekend was a challenge and if you slipped up even once, you lost the luxury of hosting a conference or regional tourney which had implications of a possible national championship opportunity. The competitiveness of this conference was unbelievable.

I suppose I could be guilty of using the Big Sky conference partly as an excuse for the misfortune of this year's team. It seems there is a lot wrong with the women's team right now, but I don't think one should overlook the competetiveness of the Big Sky. While I recognize that the NCC in its glory days was a great league, probably the best in DII, I don't feel that it would have come close to the Big Sky. The Big Sky is a legitimate mid-major conference at the DI level for women's basketball. It is a huge step up from the Great West conference, where we did fairly well. But when you go from the worst league out of 32 in the country, to about the 15th best, you have to expect some growing pains along the way. I would not have guessed that the team would struggle like it has, but I also think it would have been unrealistic to assume they'd challenge for a title in year one. A season long injury to the best player on the team did not help matters either. At any rate, Brewster now knows the level of play of the Big Sky, and hopefully can address roster and talent needs going forward to improve.

• Upvote 1

Every coach on campus, minus the hockey coach said the Sioux nickname was affecting their recruiting prior to last season. We are now over half way through the athletic year and at some point during each of the respective seasons have complained about the talent level, either as a whole or at specific positions of the major programs, minus hockey. I don't know if its a coincidence or not.

All I know is that when Roebuck left, he didn't exactly leave the cupboards full for his replacement.

Tough to understand how some want to put a first year coach on the "hot seat". Mike Krzyzewski would have been gone after his first year with that standard.

I don't think anybody is really saying that Brewster's job should be in jeopardy after one year. I believe it's more a case of pointing out that as the primary recruiter the past several years, he should be held somewhat responsible for the fact that, by his own admission, the talent level is not where it needs to be. It's not like when Jones took over on the men's side, where he inherited a team he had no part in recruiting.

As a long-time fan, I am struggling to understand why the hurdles of the transition and nickname seem to have affected the women's basketball program more than the men's basketball or volleyball programs? Those programs struggled pre-transition, but seem to mostly be on the right path now.

Every coach on campus, minus the hockey coach said the Sioux nickname was affecting their recruiting prior to last season. We are now over half way through the athletic year and at some point during each of the respective seasons have complained about the talent level, either as a whole or at specific positions of the major programs, minus hockey. I don't know if its a coincidence or not.

All I know is that when Roebuck left, he didn't exactly leave the cupboards full for his replacement.

The difference in this turnover however is that the replacement not only helped in recruiting these players, he was a leader in recruiting these players. Buck and Brewster worked together on recruiting. Buck knew he was leaving and gave Brew a big piece of who he wanted on his bench. I guarantee Mills and Williams were hand-picked by Brewster not Buck

The difference in this turnover however is that the replacement not only helped in recruiting these players, he was a leader in recruiting these players. Buck and Brewster worked together on recruiting. Buck knew he was leaving and gave Brew a big piece of who he wanted on his bench. I guarantee Mills and Williams were hand-picked by Brewster not Buck

I was excited when Williams committed as she was an important cog in the best HS team in MN. Mills was a late addition and I didn't think she got any (or minimal) scholarship $ - I certainly may be wrong. I was disappointed that Williams wasn't more of a contributor but I was initially quite pleased that Mills did contribute more than expected. They must have been having attitude/motivational issues as they both regressed instead of showing any improvemeent.