SiouxSports.com Forum

Phoenix Coyotes Sale Falls Through

watchmaker49

Did anyone here know that the Seattle Metropolitans won the Stanley Cup in 1917? http://en.wikipedia....e_Metropolitans

I remember reading about it in a book, that I can't find since middle school. I always thought they were called the Seattle Seals.

The arena in Seattle will be down by Safeco Feild and CenturyLink Feild. which is better then using Key Arena in the Seattle Center. I see the NHL being a big hit in Seattle like the MLS has been.

http://seattletimes.com/html/hockey/2019441232_hockeytown16.html

The peg should have built the arena they have now then and they would not have left.

The economics of hockey and canadian dollar are completely different now.

Couldnt have happened back then.

Seattle will be a great market...portland is a good market...

Id love to see a west coast college hockey conference someday.

Wouldn't that be too much for too small a market? Quebec I think would be better.

Anaheim is 30 minutes from LA...Calgary 3 hours from Edmonton...not unprecedented with 2.5 hours and an international border between Vancouver and Seattle.

Also, back then, Canadian teams were required to pay their players in American dollars...but their revenues were obviously in Canadian dollars. I believe a revenue-sharing plan was put in place sometime after Winnipeg's move to help alleviate that particular issue.

It was Bettman's dream to expand to the south...now it's a nightmare.

Seattle metro area pop: 3.5M

Vancouver metro area pop: 2.4M

Quebec metro area pop: 765k

Insanely craphouse crazy separatists who will fiercely support a Quebec NHL team....947k.....those crazy hose head bastards will start buying tickets for their multiple personalities.

• Upvote 1

Yep, and they had some shnazzy sweaters to boot.

If Seattle is the move, I hope they bring the Totems name back.

SeattleTotems67-68jersey.png

Great jersey...but Thunderbirds is a far better nickname. I doubt Seattle fans would want that name back though, especially hockey fans who also loved the NBA SuperSonics.

I do like Thunderbirds...but the OKC Thunder still gives Seattle a bad taste in its mouth. It would be kind of like an NHL team moving to Cleveland...and calling itself the Ravens.

The SuperSonics will be the name of the NBA there, Isn't there a WHL team in the Seattle area already called the Thunderbirds?

The SuperSonics will be the name of the NBA there, Isn't there a WHL team in the Seattle area already called the Thunderbirds?

Yes, they play in Kent, just north of Seattle. The owners of the now Winnipeg Jets wanted to re-name the Atlanta Thrashers the Manitoba Moose, but fan support for a return of the Jets was simply too overwhelming for them to ignore. Seattle might not have the same 'problem' as there really is no former NHL team to look back upon.

Also, bonus points for Thunderbirds logo and colors keeping Seattle Seahawk scheme.

Why won't that work? If an NHL team comes to town, the minor league team will for-sure move. Seattle could keep the name and just pole-vault from WHL to NHL status.

Very similar color scheme to Vancouver....for one.

Two .....no pro league will touch a potentially non PC name with a thousand foot pole for a new team name these days

The guy trying to bring a NHL team to Seattle owns the AHL Chicago Wolves. The team could be called the Admrials since there is 6 naval bases there.

There's already two of those in the AHL...don't need another in the National.

I'm still partial to Totems.

The economics of hockey and canadian dollar are completely different now.

Couldnt have happened back then.

Seattle will be a great market...portland is a good market...

Id love to see a west coast college hockey conference someday.

I remember getting a $1.40 something to the American dollar then in the Peg. Got back all my PST and GST at the duty free store on the way back. Made for a real cheap outing to the Peg. You are right about the economics back then. Even a new stadium would have made it a hard sell. The Canadian dollar was extremely weak and the exchange rate. was to big of a hill to climb.