SiouxSports.com Forum

Lineup when Huff Returns

sioux2013

I wonder what the starting line-up will be when Huff returns. We now know Nash will not be playing this year so that opens some things up. Nash would have been at the 4 spot so do we move Huff to the 4 for scoring and rebounding and start Webb (1), Anderson (2) , Schuler(3) and Brekke (5). To me that would be our strongest lineup by far. We would have Traylor at the backup for Brekke and Allard as backup to Huff. Antwi would backup the 1 & 2 spot and move Huff around to give Schuler rest. To me that would be a solid 8 players in the rotation come Big Sky time. Schuler is way too much of an all around solid player to keep on the bench and the other starters I mentioned are just as solid in those positions. What does everyone else think?

I wonder what the starting line-up will be when Huff returns. We now know Nash will not be playing this year so that opens some things up. Nash would have been at the 4 spot so do we move Huff to the 4 for scoring and rebounding and start Webb (1), Anderson (2) , Schuler(3) and Brekke (5). To me that would be our strongest lineup by far. We would have Traylor at the backup for Brekke and Allard as backup to Huff. Antwi would backup the 1 & 2 spot and move Huff around to give Schuler rest. To me that would be a solid 8 players in the rotation come Big Sky time. Schuler is way too all around solid player to keep on the bench and the other starters I mentioned are just as solid in those positions. What does everyone else think?

I think it would be really nice if UND could win the appeal for Nash's eligibility (I've read they're appealing the decision).

I doubt the appeal will work but hopefully I'm wrong. The NCAA just plain screwed and will likely be too arrogant to admit it...again.

I think most agree that Huff is our most talented player, and well I would argue that Nash could be our second most talented player given his size, athleticism, and stats last year when he played for more than 30 minutes. So to be missing our potentially two best players really hurts this team, and if Huff misses the NDSU game that will really hurt (at least in the short term).

I wonder what the starting line-up will be when Huff returns. We now know Nash will not be playing this year so that opens some things up. Nash would have been at the 4 spot so do we move Huff to the 4 for scoring and rebounding and start Webb (1), Anderson (2) , Schuler(3) and Brekke (5). To me that would be our strongest lineup by far. We would have Traylor at the backup for Brekke and Allard as backup to Huff. Antwi would backup the 1 & 2 spot and move Huff around to give Schuler rest. To me that would be a solid 8 players in the rotation come Big Sky time. Schuler is way too much of an all around solid player to keep on the bench and the other starters I mentioned are just as solid in those positions. What does everyone else think?

I like the lineup you have posted. Proven big time scoring potential from every position.

Seeing how Jones has done things in the past, I see it more like this (starter with backup after the / )

1 Webb / Antwi and Anderson

2 Anderson / Antwi and Webb

3 Huff / Schuler

4 Allard / Traylor (likely see this flipping later in the season)

5 Brekke / Wilmer

I don't foresee Webb and Anderson both being off the floor much at the same time and if that were to happen, I think Schuler would move to the 2 instead of having Benton come in. At least that's how I'd see things for the time-being.

Seeing how Jones has done things in the past, I see it more like this (starter with backup after the / )

1 Webb / Antwi and Anderson

2 Anderson / Antwi and Webb

3 Huff / Schuler

4 Allard / Traylor (likely see this flipping later in the season)

5 Brekke / Wilmer

I don't foresee Webb and Anderson both being off the floor much at the same time and if that were to happen, I think Schuler would move to the 2 instead of having Benton come in. At least that's how I'd see things for the time-being.

I think Schuler needs to be more than just a back up for Huff. He is the only player that can play the 1, 2 and now the 3. I just like alot of what he does for this team, the most un-selfish player we have and never takes a bad shot.

Just my take on what Jones should do:

Webb

Anderson

Huff

Brekke

Wilmer

This is the best possible 5 you can have on the floor...with Archer, Allard, Traylor, Shuler, Antwi as back ups.

Wilmer and Brekke both play the 5 position. Neither one can play the 4. Sorry, but don't agree with Wilmer at all.

Huff isn't a 4 at all! That would completely take him out of his element. Brekke can be a 4. The 4 and 5 position these days are inter-changeable. They just so happen to be at a small school which forces the to be both "5's". Trust me, Brekke at a major D1 school would NOT play the 5 bud sorry.

Of course neither would Wilmer. I'm putting Huff at the 4 because of what Mitchell did last year. Mitchell shot the 3, drove to the basket and rebounded a lot. Many screens were set for Mitchell to get him the ball in a position to shoot or drive. That would be the same for Huff at the 4. He would have just as many touches whether he was at the 4 or the 3 and Huff is also one of our best rebounders so he will be around the basket. Huff at the 4 would bring a scorer like Schuler more in the mix and make it harder to guard 5 potential guys that could all score 20 on a given night. Besides Huff, Schuler has the 2nd most 20 point games for this team in his career. This would be tuff for most of the teams in the Big Sky to guard is all I am saying. I really dont think Huff at the 4 would be any problem for him at all. Wilmer is not a scorer at all. I don't even think he has 100 career points in 3+ years. Wilmer still doesn't know how to set a screen and how many times a game does he get called for an illegal screen. It drives me nuts every time that we loose a possession 35 feet from the basket.

• 4 weeks later...

I will ask the question again now that we know Huff is beginning full contact practice today. Who do you think losses large minutes with Huff's return. Lets analyze who's done what in his absense. Point guards first; Webb and Anderson have been playing 34- 36 minutes a game and for the most part not extremely effecient, Webbs not been shooting the ball well and we all know about all the silly turnovers. Anderson has been our leading scorer but he is taking many bad shots and if for not his flops would not be scoring that much at all cause of all the FT's. As far as FG% I believe he is the worst of the players that have quality minutes. Antwi until the last game is shooting the ball very well and is right now our best 3 point shooter and what I like about him is he doesn't seem to force very many bad shots and moves the ball around well. Schuler is our most consistant overall player as far as stats are concerned. He has done a great job in Huff's absence averaging over 10 pts/game and is our second leading scorer since Huff,s absence. What this kid does in take great shots, doesn't turn the ball over (2.5 assist to turnover ratio) and is our best pure shooter. Allard has gone down hill since the first 2 games and has not brought much to the team at all. He still takes 3 point shots that he has no business taking cause most of them end up air balls. Traylor is the most improved as of late. He appears to be a force underneath with his ability to grab the offensive rebound and put it back. I like what he is doing and what he brings to the team. Wilmer and Archer have done a good job but once Huff and Brekke come back one or the other is going to lose alot of minutes. Wilmer has still no idea how to box out and many times has trouble catching a pass. Archer has been consistant in his role and really has a great shot but again does not box out , which is killing us. Coaches have some tough decisions but my opinion is this, both Webb and Anderson should lose minutes to Antwi and Schuler. Have Schuler continue to play the 3 with Huff and also play big minutes at the 1 or 2 like in the years past. Schuler needs to be around 28 minutes. Antwi needs to back up the 1 and 2 and around 20-22 minutes. Webb and Anderson should also be around 28 minutes. Traylor needs to be at the 4 more minutes with Huff moving down to the 4 to give Traylor some rest. Brekke should get most of the minutes at the 5 spot with relief from Wilmer and Archer. This would give us a 9 man rotation and may even dwindle down to 8 at some point in time. Honestly, I believe an 8 man rotation would be the best.

Word is Huff will see playing time tonight, dont know how fit he is but will be playing. Agree mostly on the post above but with a few different ideas. Really tired of seeing 2 point guards starting that don't get many assists and either take very bad shots or turn the ball over excessively so Webb or Anderson start at the 1, Schuler at the 2, Huff at the 3, Traylor at the 4 and Brekke at the 5. That is when everyone becomes 100% healthy. Antwi and either Anderson/Webb backup the 1 and 2 while Schuler can back up some at the 3 and Wiler/Acher back up the 5. Give all the starters between 28-30 minutes would be about perfect with just the right amount of rest for all of them. This would also be a 9 man rotation with the guys most deserving of the time based on the first 9 games, of course fouls and futher injuries could always makes things alittle more messy.