SiouxSports.com Forum

UND coaching changes

Bisonfan1234

Let's face it - Rocky was a cornball hack who lucked out and fed off the success of his predecessors briefly before he blew up the Bison program from within (I'LL FIGHT YOU TILL I DIE!! - yeah, Reggie Scott was REALLY worth losing all your credibility over). He "moved" on to DI Powerhouse TEMPLE as an assistant coach and has been there ever since, never to return to the Bison (although he had a very small window of opportunity - remember "bringrockyhome.com"?) and probably never to be a head coach again (rejected by Missouri Southern, most recently)...You guys had your run in the '80's and IT'S OVER!!! Face that! What have you done for FB lately?:D Best o'luck in DI-AA - BTW - WHO WON the DI-AA title this year??

I think that if Rocky had not encountered the problems he did, and continued to win, he would eventually have left. In the end the money is so big that one has to move up. There is no way that the small colleges will ever be able to compete with the majors as far as money goes. I bet that all of us that are posting on this board and don't live in ND anymore left the state for more money.

Looks like NDSU is also losing an assistant coach. link

This should make all Bison fans happy. With "weapons" like they claim Marques Johnson and Allen Burrell are, you'd think they could average more than 8-9 yards a catch. And it doesn't matter if they don't go too far down field, it's called YAC. The Sioux receivers don't have much trouble getting those yards, and they aren't that "fast" when compared with the Bison's ultra-dynamic (and productive) duo. :ohmy:

I don't think it was the offensive system that was the problem, but the play-calling. I don't understand having the supposed 2 fastest players in the NCC split out wide and not even attempting to utilizing that speed at all. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that something is wrong with that picture. Hell, Sioux fans were mad that we didn't take more shots deep with Lueck, so if I were a Bison fan I'd be more then upset with the play-calling. Frankly, I was surprised with the lack of conversation on that topic during the season.

Isn't the West Coast offense a short passing game used to set up the run?

I saw NDSU's short passing game with Enos at OC (Evidence: Burrell's and Johnson's YPC), but I daren't call what they were doing a true West Coast offense. That mindset is pass first. NDSU still seemed in a run first mindset. I will say the part of the WC they did best was effect use of the TE on the unders and crosses.

Maybe Bohl will hire Frank Solich as his new OC. :ohmy:

Sicatoka,

The West Coast Offense, or Walsh Coached Offense as it should be called, is probably not the true offense NDSU ran last year. However, it is was based on a lot of the principles of the WCO, and is close variant.

Here's the basic principles of the WCO from Bill Walsh's "Finding The Winning Edge":

Reliance on a quick, controlled passing game that takes advantage of quarterback and wide receiver reads on the fly -YES

Multiple plays from multiple formations, with the object being to find a mismatch between an offensive player and a defender -YES

A fairly equal mix of running and passing, although the pass seems to set up the run, which goes against the

I'm pretty sure Bohl will be looking for an OC that will use the WCO.

I agree the run is used more, but then again some of the NFL teams that use WCO variants put more emphasis on the run. That's why I think it isn't a true WCO, but then again, the 49er's might be the only true WCO