SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ UNI

SWSiouxMN

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is wrong is our offense sucks. Too many guys just standing and our guards r suppose to drive and dish. Our 2 point guards r shooting like !@#$ and missing the wide open guys. Northern iowa is a real TEAM that is so unselfish. We aren't. Most play for themselves and we will never beat a team. Time to fix things now before league play starts and that fall 100% on the coaches.

What is wrong is our offense sucks. Too many guys just standing and our guards r suppose to drive and dish. Our 2 point guards r shooting like !@#$ and missing the wide open guys. Northern iowa is a real TEAM that is so unselfish. We aren't. Most play for themselves and we will never beat a team. Time to fix things now before league play starts and that falls 100% on the coaches.

What amazes me about this game is our point guards. Anderson, Webb and Antwi are basically all point guards. The three played together a lot of the game. They shot 9-32 ( team took 52 shots). They were 4-15 from three. The three had 3 assists combined and 5 turnovers. Why are we playing 3 point guards at once and isn't a point guard suppose to get everyone involved in the offense and dish the dimes to the open players. Way too much one on one. Its only going to get tougher in the next month, no easy games at all. No doubt 2 of our key players from the past 2 years are not playing or shooting well. All players need to be evaluated at their position and if this sort of play continues then will the coaches make a change.

It'll be interesting to see tear changes are made. Im almost ready to say we only need to play one point guard. I feel Shuler or possibly Antwi should step in for Anderson. Not sure Anderson or the 2 point guard system deal will cut it in the big sky. It barely worked in the worst conference in the country, the great west. Webb and Anderson need to start getting others good looks. We also need to start figuring out how to help Brekke step it up. 6 points and 4 rebounds in 2 games. Not good enough. I think Traylor should crack the starting lineup any day now

It'll be interesting to see tear changes are made. Im almost ready to say we only need to play one point guard. I feel Shuler or possibly Antwi should step in for Anderson. Not sure Anderson or the 2 point guard system deal will cut it in the big sky. It barely worked in the worst conference in the country, the great west. Webb and Anderson need to start getting others good looks. We also need to start figuring out how to help Brekke step it up. 6 points and 4 rebounds in 2 games. Not good enough. I think Traylor should crack the starting lineup any day now

I agree with you 100%. With Huff in or out we need one true point guard and the man has always been Webb. Anderson is proving to be too small against the type competition we are playing these days. More plays need to be set up for Brekke and Schuler. Schuler is our best pure shooter and when he is open nobody passes to him. I would like to see him come off screens like we did for Mitchell. Instead our best shooter stands all alone in the corner waiting for a pass that wont come. Seems once the point guards decide to drive they are shooting it no matter who drops down on them. The offense is set for them to drive and draw and then dish. They keep forgetting the dish part and try to shoot over the trees, expecially Anderson.. He just throws it up and flops hoping to get the call. Wont work against the big guys. If the players continue to play as they are now, when Huff comes back I would start Antwi at the point and Schuler at the off guard with Huff at the 3 , Traylor at the 4 and Brekke at the 5. Would the coaches do this?

Sioux2013 well said. But the question is, will the coaches make that change? I feel they're too confident in Anderson's ability. He's not a bad player, but this is the BIG sky, and he can't get away with those flops. I truly believe our starters should be exactly what you stated but with Webb at the point still. I also agree thy Shuler is by far our best shooter. We have to get him open looks as we did for Mitchell. I don't understand this offense where our best players/shooters are buried in the corners (Huff and Shuler). Especially I the guards aren't kickin it out to Shuler. We better figure it out quick or else this will be one loooong season!

No doubt the non conference schedule is brutal. Coaches can fix things and if Nash gets released that should help also. Looking at the records for the other Big Sky teams they are having issues also. There are 4 or 5 teams that have not won a game and I believe the top team (Montana has a losing record also). Our record is not going to be very good heading into Big Sky games but this team can definately compete in the Big Sky if issues are ironed out, and there are a lot of them right now.

Some thoughts

-Brekke needs to stop making dumb fouls, he always seems to be making 1 or 2 of them every game it seems.

-Webb had a lot of struggles with taking care of the ball, he accounted 5 of the 8 UND turnovers.

-We have got to find a way to get it inside more and work our offense that way a little more. Lets get our bigs active

-For the longest time, we could have put in a few more buckets to make this game interseting, we were down only 12-15 for much of the first 10 minutes of the 2nd half, but too many empty possessions.

-Enough of the every man for yourself attitude and play some team ball

-We really miss Huff... even when he isn't shooting well he can really dish the ball and rebound and play lock down D.

-The Chip Rank 3 pointers, 2 out of those 3 were wide open missed assignment by our D. Schuler played better D on the middle one

-Defense needs to play better close out defense on the shooters, whe they got their hands in their faces, they weren't making as many 3's.

-We just got worn out, plain and simple. Hard to play with 8 guys consistently rotating and they are throwing line changes at our guys.

Yes I understand that we have a very difficult non-conference schedule, but I would like to see our team be competitive for the entire 40 minutes. If we had lost 72-62 with a solid performance I wouldn't be complaining as much. I want to see a better team performance against Hawaii, we are going to need our shooting game to be HOT to have a chance against these guys