SiouxSports.com Forum

Should the nickel trophy be on the line for future games?

CMSioux

42 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Nickel Trophy be on the line for future games?

• Yes
    • No

What are the icons on each side? Isn't one side a buffalo and the other side some form of Sioux icon - the NCAA would not like that. Plus they would say it perpetuates the Sioux nickname which is exactly why they mandated that UND MUST replace the nickname.

Having an image of a Sioux warrior on a trophy during the regular season would probably not affect the NCAA policy or the settlement. But you are right about the potential of that perpetuating the Sioux nickname. I don't know if the NCAA would have a big problem with that part, but it might be easier for the school to not use it if they are trying to transition to a new nickname. It might be less trouble to just cut all ties to any Native American imagery in current use and just keep it for its historical value.

What are the icons on each side? Isn't one side a buffalo and the other side some form of Sioux icon - the NCAA would not like that. Plus they would say it perpetuates the Sioux nickname which is exactly why they mandated that UND MUST replace the nickname.

Its a buffalo nickel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_nickel

The Buffalo nickel or Indian Head nickel was a copper-nickel five-cent piece struck by the United States Mint from 1913 to 1938. It was designed by sculptor James Earle Fraser.

That nickel doesn't perpetuate the Sioux nickame more than the state name "Dakota", the Indian head on road signs and the ND Highway patrol cars.

Its a buffalo nickel.

http://en.wikipedia..../Buffalo_nickel

That nickel doesn't perpetuate the Sioux nickame more than the state name "Dakota", the Indian head on road signs and the ND Highway patrol cars.

The road signs and the ND Highway Patrol cars have nothing to do with UND football. The Nickel Trophy does. Having a trophy with an image of an warrior on the trophy does connect itself to the Sioux nickname.

The road signs and the ND Highway Patrol cars have nothing to do with UND football. The Nickel Trophy does. Having a trophy with an image of an warrior on the trophy does connect itself to the Sioux nickname.

Playing the REA even if they removed the "non-historical" logos are the same thing there is still a Warrior on the REA. I don't think the NCAA would sanction UND for it since it was a unit of monetary, however if UND retires the name UND should either have a new trophy or none at all.

Playing the REA even if they removed the "non-historical" logos are the same thing there is still a Warrior on the REA. I don't think the NCAA would sanction UND for it since it was a unit of monetary, however if UND retires the name UND should either have a new trophy or none at all.

I already said that the Nickel probably wouldn't be an issue for the NCAA. I was just pointing out to you that the Nickel does have connection to the nickname, road signs and Highway Patrol cars do not. You are right, the Nickel is more closely related to the logos on display at the REA. But that doesn't connect them to the Highway Patrol or the Highway Department.

You implied that putting the trophy shouldn't be in a museum because of the cost. That sounds ridiculous. There is no rule that you need to do anything special for a chunk of metal that probably isn't in perfect storage anyway. Heck, putting it in a glass case is probably greater than or equal to the treatment is receiving now. If it could receive professional treatment, that is great. If not, well I think it'll be ok. I have perfectly fine reading comprehension skills. Your just mad that I pointed out that the Nickel trophy doesn't need to be treated like King Tut's tomb. It is a trophy....made for a game between schools that are rivals. In 200 years people probably won't find it interesting anyway. God forbid that it get rusty or something. If it makes you feel better, you can insult my field of study, accounting/finance.

My point: The trophy....if it isn't going to be played for anymore, belongs in a museum or other public government building, so that people who are looking at important North dakota things, can see it, rather than be in a place where a very small number of people can see it....where honestly, they probably don't have museum quality protection anyway. So WORST case scenario, you give it a spot on a wall in a public building. Next worse scenario, it is placed in a decent display case in a public building. Best case scenario, it is in a nice display case in a museum......and during tours, someone who already is being paid to give tours, shows the display of the Nickel trophy, and mentions some cool facts about it. I doubt anyone, especially 82SiouxGuy, can make a good argument against. There is nothing to lose in those scenarios. Noow if you believe the trophy is UND's property, I can understand, but it is a cool piece of history regardless of who you cheer for, and would be a nice piece to put into a museum.

I actually, I believe I was the one that said that not 82SiouxGuy. I apologize for stating reasons that I know of where cost is a factor for musuems.

Again, as 82SiouxGuy pointed out, a musuem is not just going to stick it up on the wall.

AND again, I stated that it was my opinion and that I had reasons for my opinion and then gave you those reasons. Please, do not call me stupid or ridiculous for having those reasons. Which yes, is what you are doing.

But you know what, I am done arguing with you about it because you won't ever listen. My opinion which is what the thread was asking for was stated. You have both disagreed with me and attacked me for it. Shall we let others chime in with their opinion now?

I say keep playing for the nickel trophy. But due to the nickname fiasco slightly update the trophy. Instead of using a replica of the indian-head nickel that was used from 1913-1938 make a new replica trophy of the Jefferson nickel that was used from 1938-2003.

It would keep the tradition of the Nickel Trophy alive. The fans of both schools would understand the history behind the trophy. Plus, it is the nickel that was used through most of the rivalry and even has relevance with the 2003 ending.

I say keep playing for the nickel trophy. But due to the nickname fiasco slightly update the trophy. Instead of using a replica of the indian-head nickel that was used from 1913-1938 make a new replica trophy of the Jefferson nickel that was used from 1938-2003.

It would keep the tradition of the Nickel Trophy alive. The fans of both schools would understand the history behind the trophy. Plus, it is the nickel that was used through most of the rivalry and even has relevance with the 2003 ending.

That's a very interesting solution. Way to think outside the box.