SiouxSports.com Forum

FOX to start up a sports channel to rival ESPN

IrishSiouxFan

College hockey has not been marketed properly and I believe has so much potential. Of course I'm not suggesting college hockey has the potential to overtake football but Fox is going to be looking for programming that's not already snatched up. I believe they already own a portion of the Big 10 Network and could opt to expand their FSN coverage to teams like UND, Denver, and Miami. It's early days but it would be nice if someone would give the college hockey the marketing it deserves.

• Upvote 2

If they want to rival espn college hockey wotn get the ratings that espn collge ball does. Its just a fact

College Basketball and Football are pretty well taken by other networks. This new network will have to find sports that are not widely available now and develop the potential those markets have. College Hockey is one of those underdeveloped markets.

College Basketball and Football are pretty well taken by other networks. This new network will have to find sports that are not widely available now and develop the potential those markets have. College Hockey is one of those underdeveloped markets.

I wish that were true. But my guess is that this new Fox network will focus mostly on baseball and Nascar. I think that national coverage of college hockey has probably reached its ceiling with NBC-SN and CBS-SN.

I wish that were true. But my guess is that this new Fox network will focus mostly on baseball and Nascar. I think that national coverage of college hockey has probably reached its ceiling with NBC-SN and CBS-SN.

NASCAR already has prime time coverage on the FOX broadcast network and on several established cable channels. Baseball also has prime time coverage on FOX and on many regional cable outlets. If this new network tries to copy-cat ESPN, it will fail. A start-up like this has to find unique programming that no one else has or hasn't given enough attention to. Otherwise, it will have a tough time getting viewers and cable companies to pick it up.

So far we have ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, CBS Sports, NBC Sports, Root, and a slew of other sports networks you have to wonder how much programing of interest is really out there to meet the demands of these networks. Surely tv executives have to be at least considering the possibility of picking up college teams with the tradition, facilities, and fan base to breathe life into their programming. My one big complaint about NBC's coverage of college hockey is that they picked teams who play in crappy arenas in front of virtually no fans and expect their viewers to get excited about college hockey. Where as if they had came to the Ralph they would have seen an electrifying specticle of what college hockey could be with the fans, facilities, rivalries, and traditions.

• Upvote 1

FOX does have broadcasts of Big12 and Pac12 basketball and football, so it would give them the opportunity to spread out the number of games they show in those two sports for at minimum those two conferences. I was amazed this year that on MOST friday nights, I could watch any of 5 college hockey games at one time from across the country. A few years ago, that was something we could only dream about. Any additional sports network is great for college hockey, because it's just another outlet that will provide more exposure to both the casual fan and the die-hard who wants to see his/her favorite team more often.