SiouxSports.com Forum

Local Talent

jloos

The forum had their high school hockey preview today Forum Article Scroll down to the bottom and check out Moorhead, looks like they are back to where they were in the early/mid 90s. They have several D1 prospects. It is nice to see the USHL trend dissapearing a little bit. I think the High School Elite Tourny they have Sept - Nov really helps keep MN players in high school, at least in the bigger schools.

Also GF central has a few potential D1 players still on their team. McIntyre and Moreland both look like they have the potential after a year in juniors. It would be nice to see the Sioux land some of these kids, it is always nice to have some local players on the team. Any other local talent around?

Anyone have any idea how many titles Moorhead has? I know at one time they were the largest school in Minnesota, but they just can't win at any sport.

I thought I heard a RUMOR that Moreland was looking at UND after a year of juniors.

Anyone have any idea how many titles Moorhead has? I know at one time they were the largest school in Minnesota, but they just can't win at any sport.

I thought I heard a RUMOR that Moreland was looking at UND after a year of juniors.

It's a rumor, because I'm thinking that the Morelands (both of them) will end up at SCCC. It's the Lammareaux (pardon me please for my poor spelling of this name) that will probably all come to UND if they can.

Lee and Ammerman from Moorhead are both juniors, but are being looked at very hard by D1 schools. They both visited UND and Minnesota. Minnesota is very interested in Ammerman.

Kyle Graalum is a senior at Shanley, and along with Moreland and McIntyre, may be one of the top 3 players in the State.

Quinn Fylling's little brother is at Shanley as well and is supposed to be a stud.

Kyle Graalum is a senior at Shanley, and along with Moreland and McIntyre, may be one of the top 3 players in the State.

I saw Shanley play Central last week, I thought Graalum was fundamentally as good as any high school player I've ever seen. It was kind of hard to tell though because Shanley didn't have a lot of talent, which made him look better than he probably was. I thought the younger Fylling was pretty average, but seeing one game is not enough to make a good opinion.

I saw RR play South last night, South may be as good as Central. Weisgarber, a sophomore was their best player, he is probably going to be one of the best in the state this year. He definately has the potential to play D1 hockey, reminds me of Cory McLean from North who is on the first line at Notre Dame.

Fylling is a decent player, bigger than his brother and not as mobile.

Agreed. Pete is kind of a diamond in the rough. He's big and is a sniper, but needs to improve his mobility. The Burggrafs and Tim Graveline have done a great job improving his skating, but he will probably have to play a year or two of juniors to make it at the next level.

0 in hockey anyway. Their best years in the early 90's were the same years Bloomington Jefferson had their best years. I think BJ :D and Moorhead played in 2 or 3 title games with Jefferson winning all of them.

I don't know about Moorhead being the largest school in the state. Bloomington Jefferson and Kennedy appear to be much bigger, also Edina, Eden Praire and some other metro schools are probably bigger.

I saw Shanley play Central last week, I thought Graalum was fundamentally as good as any high school player I've ever seen. It was kind of hard to tell though because Shanley didn't have a lot of talent, which made him look better than he probably was. I thought the younger Fylling was pretty average, but seeing one game is not enough to make a good opinion.

I saw RR play South last night, South may be as good as Central. Weisgarber, a sophomore was their best player, he is probably going to be one of the best in the state this year. He definately has the potential to play D1 hockey, reminds me of Cory McLean from North who is on the first line at Notre Dame.

Trust me, Kyle is as good as he looks. He would be the best player on Red River, South, North, Grafton and anyplace other than arguably Central. Frank Burggraf thinks he's the best player in the state. You must be confusing Pete Fylling with someone else. Pete Fylling did not play against Central or Red River. He is out until December 23 and has not played yet this year.

You are dead on about Paul Weisgarber. Paul is as good as any sophomore in the State, including Mario Lamoreaux. Mario is bigger and stronger, but when Paul gets bigger and stronger, he will be scary. He has great hands. Watch out for South in 2 years. The sophomore class is very talented.

You are dead on about Paul Weisgarber. Paul is as good as any sophomore in the State, including Mario Lamoreaux. Mario is bigger and stronger, but when Paul gets bigger and stronger, he will be scary.

I thought Mario Lamoreaux was a 9th grader this year??

You must be confusing Pete Fylling with someone else. Pete Fylling did not play against Central or Red River. He is out until December 23 and has not played yet this year.

You are dead on about Paul Weisgarber. Paul is as good as any sophomore in the State, including Mario Lamoreaux. Mario is bigger and stronger, but when Paul gets bigger and stronger, he will be scary. He has great hands. Watch out for South in 2 years. The sophomore class is very talented.

My bad w/ Fylling they had him listed on the roster and had a player w/ that number was on their 3rd line. I should have assumed it wasn't him - high school rosters are wrong about 1/2 the time, in Fargo anyway. Shanley was fun to watch, they had a lot of kids I coached on their team. Central did a good job shutting down Graalum, I would like to see him play against a slower team like North, he looked like he could dominate the play. Does he normally play F or D? He played both when I saw him, mostly D but I know Shanley was missing a few players so he may have been filling in.

My bad w/ Fylling they had him listed on the roster and had a player w/ that number was on their 3rd line. I should have assumed it wasn't him - high school rosters are wrong about 1/2 the time, in Fargo anyway. Shanley was fun to watch, they had a lot of kids I coached on their team. Central did a good job shutting down Graalum, I would like to see him play against a slower team like North, he looked like he could dominate the play. Does he normally play F or D? He played both when I saw him, mostly D but I know Shanley was missing a few players so he may have been filling in.

Kyle is normally a center, but they have him play both. He is playing mostly D now because 3 kids are out until Dec 23. When Pete Fylling gets back, he will probably play center.

To answer someone else's question, Mario is a 9th grader, but is older. He is an 88 like Paul Weisgarber and skipped only his 2nd year of Bantams last year. In other words, he played against South's current group of sophomores all the way up from Squirts through his first year of Bantams.

onKyle is normally a center, but they have him play both. He is playing mostly D now because 3 kids are out until Dec 23. When Pete Fylling gets back, he will probably play center.

Three kids out until December 23? Sounds like they were all busted at the same party :huh: What is it 6 weeks for the first offense? I thought those Catholic kids were all choir boys :D

Redwing77 when did you graduate. The sophmore class might save Wilson's job. :silly:

I'm old.

I graduated from Fargo South in 1995. Wilson was even my gym teacher when I was in 8th grade. :) He was an ok guy except that he allowed anything to go on in the locker rooms, so I got bullied a lot :(