SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU vs. the playoff field

Bisonfan1234

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

airmail - you're right, i have no idea what i'm talking about. Although NDSU is upgrading their entire university, obviously there is another reason that NDSU is upgrading athletics to D1. Please enlighten me.

DaveK - you're trying to introduce some sort of psuedo-double standard to try and make my argument illogical. I'll try and explain my argument as simple as possible so you won't have to resort to this in the future. In the NCAA, D2 has only 1(one) classification for football: D2. D1, however, has 2(two) classifcations for football: D1A and D1AA. Thus, if you play D1A *or* D1AA football, you're a D1 school. This is a true statement, ask the NCAA if you don't believe me. OK, with that in mind, UND plays every sport at the D2 level except hockey. NDSU (starting the 2004-2005 academic year) will play every sport at the D1 level. My argument is this: why should UND get to play one sport at D1 level when the rest are at the D2 level? So my proposal is that the NCAA revamp the hockey classifications to allow D2 schools with D1 hockey to play hockey at the D2 level with a national championship. That's all i'm saying.

First of all there isn't enough schools that are D2 with a D1 hockey team to do that. Second of all they have redone the rules but allowed the schools that were already like that to be grandfathered in. And D-IAA is not the same classification as D-I. I don't care how you spin it. You are talking a double standard.

First of all there isn't enough schools that are D2 with a D1 hockey team to do that. Second of all they have redone the rules but allowed the schools that were already like that to be grandfathered in. And D-IAA is not the same classification as D-I. I don't care how you spin it. You are talking a double standard.

D2 schools that are allowed to play D1 hockey (these are just the ones i know for sure are D2, could be more):

WCHA:

UND

UMD

SCSU

MSU Mankato

Alaska - Anchorage

CCHA:

Alaska - Fairbanks

UNO

CHA:

Wayne State

Findley

Bemidji State

I know Crookston is in there somewhere as well. That makes 11 teams. Plenty of teams for a full season of action (never mind you could still schedule D3 and/or D1 teams to fill a schedule ***or continue rivalry with schools that aren't in the D2 classification***) and a nice 8 team play-off field.

And i don't know why you guys keep bringing this up: D1AA and D1A are both D1. Ask the NCAA if you don't believe me. I know you could turn around and say ask the NCAA if it's ok to play D1 hockey when you're a D2 school. I'm simple proposing a uniform classification for all schools. If you want to counter-propose that NDSU should have to play D1A for football, be my guest.

I think there's very little chance of any further football discussion in this thread. This conversation would be quite legitimate in the hockey forum, so feel free to take it there. Drop me a message if you'd like me to relocate some of the messages in this thread to that forum to maintain continuity.