SiouxSports.com Forum

Congratulations Sioux!

PCM

My daughter and I just got back from the football game at the Alerus Center. What a great game and a great win. The Gorillas were a scary team. Even when the Sioux looked like they'd made a good stop on a running play, PS would have 5 or 6 yards. They were unbelievably quick in hitting the holes and turning upfield.

Defensively, the Gorillas did a pretty good job of shutting down UND's passing game, mostly by getting good pressure on our QBs. However, the offensive line and Adam Roland were very impressive. I thought the play calling by Coach Mussman was very good.

But the most kudos go to the Sioux defense. They made spectacular plays just when they needed to. All around, it was a very entertaining game to watch. Great job, Sioux!

Just in case you are a Sioux fan in Fargo, you can probably find the Sioux football score on page three, one page after the US golf update.

My god the Forum is pathetic. FYI, in NCAA DI Hockey, the headline for that section went to U Minnesota and not UND. Tells you where Fargo Forum writers stand when it comes to state pride. Ok, yeah, Fargo Forum is loyal to NDSU. That's to be expected but hey, at least give UND's hockey program some creedence over the Gophers? Too much to ask, I'm sure.

I think we should give credit to Pitt State, they actually managed to score this year! :p

Philpot couldn't pass gas today. Holy crap was he terrible throwing the ball. The Sioux defense played pretty well making plays when they had to. The Sioux can't make anything too easy though can they? They couldn't get the first down with 2 and a half minutes to go, so they had to punt. Then the defense couldn't stop Pitt State on about three 3rd/4th downs. They finally got the interception in the end zone. I think they do it on purpose. :lol:

Hopefully Bowencamp will be back for next weekends game to lead the Sioux over Winona. What happened to him anyways? I assume it was a left ankle injury.

The crazy thing about this game was that generally, UND's strengths are throwing the ball and stopping the run. The Sioux usually struggle to run the ball and to stop the pass. Today, we didn't do a great job of throwing the ball or stopping the run, but did run the ball well and generally stopped the pass well. The one trend that really held true was Pitt St.'s propensity for turning the ball over. It's a miracle it was as close as it was with seven to's.

Philpot was not bad. He rushed for a bunch of yards - probably averaged about 5 or 6 per carry. Also, for a while there in the 4th Q, he was connecting on big pass plays. Fortunately for UND, they got some really good bounces today. The turnover margin was unbelievable.

Congrats Sioux! Another nail-biter in an incredibly fun season to watch!

Philpot's passing was horrible for the first half 2 of 18 to PSU, 3 of 18 to UND receviers. :lol: The only reason he was making completions in the 4th was the UND secondary was just trying to keep the play in front of them (aka prevent).

UND will need to take advantage of turnovers in coming weeks. +7 is ridiculous, but they need to capitalize.

Looks like the Midwest Region champ will come from the NCC for the fourth straight year.

Good win for UND!

Looks like the Midwest Region champ will come from the NCC for the fourth straight year.

I hope so. You are probably just trying to jinx the Sioux. :p

They just said on the news that it will be decided tonight where the game will be next weekend. It is going to be here, right? Rather dissappointing turnout for the game I thought. :lol:

Blame TV coverage for the mediocre turnout. There's always a few cheapskates that won't shell out to come to the game if they can lay on their couch and watch it free on TV. I will say the 7200 were a GOOD 7200 as they were CHEERING FANS. Let me revise that...6700 were cheering fans. The 500 or so "elite" in the suites barely bothered to clap. Got to tell you...those people really *iss me off. I'm in a position to see down the entire row of suites, although I'm not in one, and if you see more than one person actually excited about anything it's a rarity. I'd like to see the Alerus give away a free ticket for every jerk in the suites just so we can offset the Roman Senate up there who don't believe it's proper for them to join in with the cheering masses. HEADS UP for next week - it's a holiday and we probably won't have nearly as many students. If you're planning to go to the Winona game...tell a friend and lets get as many as we can in there!

GO SIOUX!!

I thought the one guy that really stood out on offense for UND was David Wisthoff. Man, did he ever have some crunching lead blocks for Roland in the second half. Pitt St. decided to play that wierd double zone on the outside receivers in the second half to take away the passing game and the Sioux were able to run the ball well enough to get the win.

Pitt St. reminds me of Nebraska. Their power running game is enough to beat 90% of their opponents into oblivion, but when they play a team with talent on defense, they aren't consistent enough passing the ball to score points.

The Pitt St. defense was pretty much as advertised- outstanding DLine, good LBs, so-so secondary. It's a credit to the coaching staff and offensive players that they didn't force things and turn the ball over against a solid team.

Was that our lowest attendance of the season?

Yes. The previous low was, believe it or not, the St. Cloud St. game with a little over 7600. Not coincidentally, that game was televised, too. Four out of the seven home games this year have been on tv. I'm sure it will be five of eight after next week. Not only does it keep the crowd down, but we have to sit through all those stupid tv timeouts! I hate those!

I don't care if they televise these games outside of the Grand Forks area, but they absolutely should not be televised locally. With the Thanksgiving holiday this week and one fewer day in which to sell tickets, it's going to be a big challenge to even get 7000.

Weren't the playoff games in 2001 pretty full? Were they not televised?  I don't remember since I went to both the UCD and Pitt St. games.  I only missed the Winona game cause I was in Mankato watching the hockey team whoop the Mavs.  :lol:

The 2001 playoff games had attendance as follows:

Winona St. 6700

Pitt St. 8222

UC-Davis 11,696 (this was the "official" number. The Alerus certainly appeared full, however, so this number is probably not really accurate.)

The Winona game was probably not helped by the fact that everybody thought it was going to be a huge blowout, and this likely kept a lot of people away. The Pitt St. game was over the Thanksgiving weekend, I believe. I don't believe either game was televised locally. The UC-Davis game was televised but fortunately, there was enough hype by that point that people showed up anyway.

Not that it's any consolation, but the UND-Pitt St. game yesterday had the second-highest attendance of the eight playoff games:

Grand Valley St. at Bentley (4433)

Edinboro at Saginaw Valley (3907)

Carson-Newman at Valdosta St. (3247)

Southern Arkansas at North Alabama (7132)

Central Ok. at Mesa St. (1961)

Tarleton at TAMUK (9500)

Emporia St. at Winona (3115)

Pitt St. at UND (7160)

Half of the home teams, including UND, had attendance BELOW their season average.

hey, i was just wondering where you got those attendence numbers at?? i'm thinking of putting them up on our site for the GVSU lakers. not many people showed up for your game eh?? our game against bentley the stadium was full, but thats not saying much cause i've played at high schools that had a better field and more seating than them. to think we had to drive 15 hours for a game at that place. not to mention how that in the away section, they had some of their fans sitting there. a few of them was trying to bait us into getting into a fight, but we just flipped them off and went back to cheering on our lakers. not that we needed too!! the score was a lot closer than what it should be. word has it that the officals work for the PSAC and that the PSAC have been trying to get the GLIAC moved to the midwest confrance, cause they can't beat most of our top teams strait up. we had 18 flags thrown at us. our guys were almost running around with their arms inside their jersey's to keep from getting some flag. and their big stud qb, probably somewhere in the fetal possition still, trying to find a happy place.

oh, and to the guy who had all the homework and stuff? shut up!! i have about the same amount of stuff to do too, but i still went on the Laker roadtrip that took 15 hours just to get there. you had a home game!!! thats at worse, 4 hours out of your day, depending on how much tailgating you want to do.

anyways, we got the matchup we all was wanting, the only team to beat us since you guys did, and we are all looking forward to it. good luck with your next game, and the lakers shall see you in Bama!!

so this week the game will NOT be on TV....WDAZ didn't didn't bid and KVLY did - BUT UND sports nixed any tv coverage because of the backlash from last weeks turnout. I know it's a holiday but do ANYTHING you can to turn out this week. What would be a better gift T-Day gift than to take your family and friends to this weeks game to SCREAM your heads off!! (like the turkey you just ate) Bottom line - NO TV THIS WEEKEND - show up or shut up!!! Just an opinion...