SiouxSports.com Forum

Students File Nickname Lawsuit

Matt

They are going to have a hard time proving this.

The complaint alleges the legislation violates the state Constitution, because the Board of Higher Education is supposed to make such decisions rather than the Legislature, and violates a court-ordered settlement directing the name be changed which was reached by the NCAA, the state and the Board of Higher Education. The students also allege the new law violates their 14th Amendment rights in that the name and logo are harmful and disparaging to Native Americans.

"Their use has created overt and implicit hostility towards them on University of North Dakota campuses," the release said.

Read more

Maybe I'm just crazy, but the timing of this lawsuit seems suspicious. Like - why wasn't this done as soon as the law was signed? It reads like if the NCAA won't budge then an excuse will be needed to get rid of the law quickly and without a fight. Just the threat of the lawsuit might be enough.

Kelley can say something like "We gave it our best shot and the NCAA won't budge. Now the school is threatened by a lawsuit! The law must be overturned and UND must be allowed to retire the nickname!"

Maybe I'm just crazy, but the timing of this lawsuit seems suspicious. Like - why wasn't this done as soon as the law was signed? It reads like if the NCAA won't budge then an excuse will be needed to get rid of the law quickly and without a fight. Just the threat of the lawsuit might be enough.

Kelley can say something like "We gave it our best shot and the NCAA won't budge. Now the school is threatened by a lawsuit! The law must be overturned and UND must be allowed to retire the nickname!"

Agee with a Bison!

Via the comments section of the GF Herald article:

Interesting list of Litigants: 2 Chippewa Tribe Members; a Spokane Tribe Member; 2- Three Affiliated Tribes Members; a Navajo Nation Member; a Sisseton-Wahpeton Tribe Member; a Cheyenne River Tribe Member for those with poor reading comprehension skills: no one from either Standing Rock nor Sprit lake Tribes.

That person also posted a link to the lawsuit

from Goon's World blog:

thanks to MissSioux85

Why are the Chippewa and the Three Affiliated Tribes so much more outspoken about this? Is it jealousy?

I made a mistake I miss read something and blue bird also informed me that the Three Affiliated Tribes are Mandan, Hidatsa and Arikara which are all not- Sioux. I had a vapor lock.

Edited by Goon

They point to the Fryberg study as evidentiary?

ROTFLMFAO ... has that circa 2002 "study" been peer reviewed yet?

I'm not sure who would "peer review" that piece of trash and have a shred of crediblity in a courtroom. Perhaps Ms. Fryberg will review her own "work"?