SiouxSports.com Forum

Strinz Resigns

GeauxSioux

UND softball coach Sami Strinz resigns

University of North Dakota Director of Athletics Brian Faison announced today that head softball coach Sami Strinz has resigned.

"I want to thank Sami for her service to our program and wish her well in any future endeavors," Faison said.

Strinz served as UND's head coach for the past four seasons, compiling a 64-137 record. She led the Fighting Sioux to the Great West Conference tournament championship in 2010, and to the finals of the league tournament this past year.

"We will begin a national search for a new head coach immediately," Faison said.

Strinz turned the program around. Good luck wherever you go Sami.

UND softball coach Sami Strinz resigns

Strinz turned the program around. Good luck wherever you go Sami.

Ok, I like to check out this site every now and then and keep my mouth shut because my fiance and I are former Fighting Sioux athletes and I didn't believe that athletes should be worried about what is said on these boards. Now that I'm not an athlete and I see this post, I just need to reply. I don't know anything about you Geaux Sioux other than I see you write on this board alot and I don't know if you know any particulars about the former Coach Strinz, but I'll start by saying that I hardly consider her 64-137 career record here at UND as turning the program around. I don't want to get into any particulars about behind the scene actions that Coach Strinz and her assistant Randy Ward did with the softball team, but I want to say that this will only be a good thing for the UND softball team.

I am basing my statement of turning the program around on that the Sioux were competitive in the GW conference tournament the past two years and that the record looked to be improving. I am not someone who speaks knowledgeably about Sioux softball, so if I am wrong, I can live with it. You seem to be a little closer to the situation, I will take your word.

Edit: Looking back at the W/L for the past couple of years, I see your point. Winning the GW tournament last year and runner-up this year really doesn't tell the whole story.

Edited by GeauxSioux

Edit: Looking back at the W/L for the past couple of years, I see your point. Winning the GW tournament last year and runner-up this year really doesn't tell the whole story.

I was going to post about your first post but player 21 said it better than I would have. If you or any Sioux fan are basing the results of how UND does in the GWC as how good you are, you're in for a world of hurt when you start the BSC. The GWC is terrible in all their sports except FB. The guage you need to follow is how well your teams do against other FCS teams outside of the GWC. Not being close but winning. You're in your last year of transition next year and have had 4-5 years of recuiting D1 athletics.

I was going to post about your first post but player 21 said it better than I would have. If you or any Sioux fan are basing the results of how UND does in the GWC as how good you are, you're in for a world of hurt when you start the BSC. The GWC is terrible in all their sports except FB. The guage you need to follow is how well your teams do against other FCS teams outside of the GWC. Not being close but winning. You're in your last year of transition next year and have had 4-5 years of recuiting D1 athletics.

Hey, no piling on. I admit that I was wrong. ;):D

Y'all know my opinion:

Either we need a roof for our "diamond" sports (softball, baseball) or we need to drop them and start playing sports where we can use the roof we have (Alerus Center).

Add M/W lacrosse and instantly be competitive in the NCAA by recruiting M/W athletes from western Canada.

Y'all know my opinion:

Either we need a roof for our "diamond" sports (softball, baseball) or we need to drop them and start playing sports where we can use the roof we have (Alerus Center).

Add M/W lacrosse and instantly be competitive in the NCAA by recruiting M/W athletes from western Canada.

I nominate Sica to meet with Faison and get this done.

Y'all know my opinion:

Or maybe even neighboring Minnesota. I happened to drive by a suburban St Paul Middle School the other day and saw close to 50 kids outside for a Phy Ed. class and they were all decked out with LaCrosse gear and having a ball. Amazing how popular it is getting. Neighbor kid is home from Dayton U for the summer and is out in the cul de sac playing "catch" with his HS buddies using their lacrosse "sticks"? I agree, drop SB and Baseball and invest the money elsewhere.

At the very least drop the "homeless" baseball. At least softball will have a home in the Big Sky.

There's no reason you can't be competitive in SB - Most of the best players come from the West coast and you'll be playing out there most of the time. Baseball is a money pit without a home.

Or maybe even neighboring Minnesota. I happened to drive by a suburban St Paul Middle School the other day and saw close to 50 kids outside for a Phy Ed. class and they were all decked out with LaCrosse gear and having a ball. Amazing how popular it is getting. Neighbor kid is home from Dayton U for the summer and is out in the cul de sac playing "catch" with his HS buddies using their lacrosse "sticks"? I agree, drop SB and Baseball and invest the money elsewhere.

If this truly is a sport on the grow, it would be better to get in on the ground floor and establish a reputation like we have in hockey, rather than being a laggard and catch up, especially if bigtime schools become interested in adding it. If we have to wait for a game to finish before we watch an NCAA hockey game, we might as well get familiar with the sport.

If this truly is a sport on the grow, it would be better to get in on the ground floor and establish a reputation like we have in hockey, rather than being a laggard and catch up, especially if bigtime schools become interested in adding it. If we have to wait for a game to finish before we watch an NCAA hockey game, we might as well get familiar with the sport.

I personally am not a big fan (yet) of lacrosse, BUT it is probably the fastest growing HS sport in Minnesota especially the metro area. It certainly deserves a serious look by UND in the very near future.

At the very least drop the "homeless" baseball. At least softball will have a home in the Big Sky.

There's no reason you can't be competitive in SB - Most of the best players come from the West coast and you'll be playing out there most of the time. Baseball is a money pit without a home.

I agree on both these points.................

Baseball at North Dakota and NDSU at the DI level drives me nuts...................the weather is just not conducive to success. NDSU is a bit better off with a great facility and conference affiliation, but still it is realistically not viable up here on a consistent basis. It was fine in DII with all of the NCC and NSIC schools within driving distance.

I'm not as down on softball, basically due to Title IX reasons and the fact that the Big Sky will sponsor the sport.

Y'all know my opinion:

The lacrosse idea is a neat notion on the surface. But I admit I don't have the desire to attend baseball or softball now, and I wouldn't likely make an effort to see any lacrosse. The biggest allure for me would just be the association with more "name" schools.

Also, I'm not sold on the idea that the Alerus would house lacrosse if UND sponsored it. I've spoken with Coach Strinz in the past about playing softball in the Alerus. It could absolutely be configured for the sport and that would alleviate weather concerns as far as getting some early season home games or tournaments in. The problem is the Alerus is asking for a $22,000 rental fee for a tournament for softball, roughly the same amount that UND pays for football games. How much would it cost to rent it for a dozen or so lacrosse games?

I think if UND had lacrosse, it would more likely be played at Bronson..................