SiouxSports.com Forum

Kicking Teams When They're Down

jk

The Sioux have been fortunate to catch some opponents when they were missing key ingredients, especially on defense. Getting MN without Ballard and Harrington was a real treat, and now Denver without Carle (who is supposed to be a real nice player already) and perhaps someone else on defense (I'm not sure) was also fortunate.

On the one hand, I'm concerned that we'll think a little too highly of UND's offensive capabilities based on their taking advantage of young defenses. I guess the bigger concern would be not what we think of it, but that the team might begin to think it's pretty easy, then find it tougher against a better defense.

On the other hand, it is extremely positive that UND has taken advantage of the weakened opposition and lit up the scoreboard. If you're going to have to play them when they're down, you may as well kick them.

I should note that the Sioux were also short a key player for the MN series (Schneider for Friday, then a less-effective Schneider played Saturday), and Fylling missed the Denver game.

MN beat Denver 6-2, and lost the next night. The Sioux have been famous recently for Friday blowouts followed by struggles the next night. This will be a big test, as Denver will come out and play much better defensively, plus the Sioux will be without Smaby.

It's true that our heads might get fat, but this team knows what happened last year. They also know that every WCHA game is tough. Yes they are catching bounces this year unlike last. I'd take it and run with it.

When it comes time to play minnie again, we'll know that they are a different team. All you can hope is that we just keep improving as well.

We didn't blow out Denver. They were never really out of the game until we went up by 2 goals.

Yeah, we blew them away by 6 goals, but we can't just stop playing when we feel we have a decent lead. I mean, look at the Friday game vs BC! We were down 4-1 at one point and BC just sat back to try to run the clock out. We came back and beat them 6-4. Blais teaches them to play the game hard all the way until the final horn blares. If the other team wants to give up, they can and we'll take advantage. This obviously seems to me what happened in Denver tonight. We went up 5-2 and the Pioneers just rolled over on Berkhoel.

I will say until I am blue in the face that Berkhoel is probably the best goaltender in the league playing for a team who is terrible defensively. Yes, DU is known for its defense but this isn't a defensive team to me.

I think a big win on a Friday night vs a WCHA team is a big boost. We are now 2-1 on Friday in the WCHA for the season. The Sioux needed this victory but it wasn't a complete victory for the Sioux. They had trouble scoring first and initially, they had trouble keeping it tied and taking the lead. They also still had trouble with the power play.

Smaby has a temper and Blais is a reliable coach. I think this victory was big, but we want to sweep more than anything else. Then we can slough off for the U-18 game on Dec 5th.

This game wasn't kicking the other team while they were down. Comebacks are possible but only UND seemed to realize that tonight. Heck, I watched the Miami (?) vs Jets football game a while back and they came back from 30 POINTS DOWN to win!

Let's look on to tommorrow and see what happens. Tonight most of our offense came from the 2nd and 3rd lines. We should see this as a positive note to our depth. Regardless of score, I'd argue vehemently against DU being labelled as a cupcake.

Denver is definately no cupcake...I think that they tried to play with us offensively, which is not their game. Tomorrow night I'd look for a more tightly played defensive game played by Denver. They tried to beat us doing what we do best...they failed miserably. Tomorrow they will try to beat us doing what THEY do best. Defense. If we continue to play as we have, we should be fine...minus all the damn pipes!

From kicking them when they're down to Judge Judy. All you can do is laugh at how we get to such meaningless matrial.

Though Judge Judy might have to make a ruling against the Sioux if we pummel DU again tomorrow night. :lol:

Edited by cheeringsiouxfromsmoggycali

Judge Judy is just downright mean. She's like the only 127 year old woman that I'm afraid of. She'd probably beat me with her gavel or something.

Maybe one of the lawyers on this site will get to appear in front of her one day. Better yet, we could send the SCSU puppy lover first year law student weenie in front of her.

Her glare would make the poor spoiled brat so nervous that he'd immediately have to write a letter to the appeals court about how he was mistreated.

Maybe one of the lawyers on this site will get to appear in front of her one day. Better yet, we could send the SCSU puppy lover first year law student weenie in front of her.

Her glare would make the poor spoiled brat so nervous that he'd immediately have to write a letter to the appeals court about how he was mistreated.

And he'll be too afraid to step into a courtroom again...a prosecutor's dream.

And I'm not like Dennis Green. I've been on teams that have won championships.

Pizza eating contest?

John Wayne so would have cried. I don't care how tough you are. Judge Judy could bore thorugh titanium with that stare.

Hey, that was a tough one!!

Also, Hockey, baseball, basketball, soccer(yeah, I still can't believe I played)...

And not just JBSU participation either...actual championship winning...like the Sioux!!