SiouxSports.com Forum

the shirt off lundbohm's back

YaneA

Regarding Ballard, let me first say that I would love to have him on the Sioux.

He is an outstanding offensive defenseman.

That said, Ballard takes many many dives, and holds the stick alot.

I think as his years go on he will not draw nearly so many penalties as he has this year.  The officials will catch on to that.

He's probably one of those guys you love to have on your team but hate if he's on the other team.

We'd love him if he chose the Sioux.

I can't complain about nothing being called on the jersey play because that was the way the OT was called - and I loved it.  End-to-end, great chances, great saves - a bit of hooking and holding along the way, but that was due to the utter desperation on both sides.  I can still picture Bayda floating in front of Hauser with the puck, all alone, waiting for an opening.  Alas, he tried to move it over to Skarp, and it bounced around instead.

When Ballard touched the puck after the Lundbohm jersey incident the following should have been heard:

- A whistle (either the referee's or the AR's)

- "Minnesota penalty on number 13, Keith Ballard, two minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct at 18:30 of overtime. Ballard of Minnesota, two minutes, unsportsmanlike conduct, at 18:30." from the Mariucci PA system.

You let the subjective stuff go in OT.

That was objectively unsportsmanlike conduct, regulation or OT. It was a planned and completed act, not an accident. And it directly impacted a scoring opportunity and the outcome of the game.

And I'd be raggin' David Hale if he pulled crap like that too.

When Ballard touched the puck after the Lundbohm jersey incident the following should have been heard:

- A whistle (either the referee's or the AR's)

- "Minnesota penalty on number 13, Keith Ballard, two minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct at 18:30 of overtime. Ballard of Minnesota, two minutes, unsportsmanlike conduct, at 18:30." from the Xcel Energy PA system.

You let the subjective stuff go in OT.

That was objectively unsportsmanlike conduct, regulation or OT. It was a planned and completed act, not an accident. And it directly impacted a scoring opportunity and the outcome of the game.

And I'd be raggin' David Hale if he pulled crap like that too.

I did not see the act nor did I catch the replay so I cannot comment.

But - I would have been at Mariucci, not the X.  ???

Grayeagle: It's been fixed. Happy now? ???

When they were down on the ice at the dots in the UM end, as he got up Ballard grabbed the back of DL's jersey and pulled it up over his helmet. It cost DL a couple extra seconds getting up and back into the chase. Being those few seconds behind Ballard prevented DL from backchecking and allowed Ballard to roam free with a loose puck in the slot.

I agree YaneA, we could debate that for a long time.

For instance, I do think the Sioux warranted a penalty or 2 in the OT period.  Not as much as gopher fans wanted, I feel, but I think Spiewak pulled Pohl? down as he tried to exit his zone and that caused a turnover, or at least did not allow a smooth transition by the Gophers.  they could argue that eliminated a good scoring chance for them, yet it wasn't called because it wasn't an "immediate" scoring chance and that seems to be how they call it at the end of the game and in OT.

I did not see what Ballard did but will assume it was grievous, but may not have been any more threatening at the time of the non-call than anything else, and so it didn't get called.   I think things were pretty suspect in the OT period all around.

I like to see penalties called if they are penalties.  But I guess i don't want to see penalties called that are non-consequential like you would earlier in the game.  How do you define that?  It's hard to say.  I think earlier in the game you call a penalty on a certain action because it a. is against the rules and b. you want to set a tone for what will and won't be allowable for the game.  In OT you might not need to "set a tone" so you let some stuff go.

Does that mean you should let go a hook when a guy has the puck?  Probably not.  But seems like some of that was ignored as was Ballard's deal.  i think the game did get out of hand.

This is Rule 6.1.a from the 2001 NCAA rule book:

"A minor penalty shall be assessed against any player displaying unsportsmanlike conduct including, but not limited to, taunting an official or opponent in order to incite the opponent into incurring a penalty; spitting; spraying the goalkeeper; shooting the puck after the whistle; or kicking, throwing or knocking an opponent

dagies, I'm fairly certain that Ballard's antics weren't shown on the Saturday of the Sioux/gopher OT game.  It was played twice this past Saturday during the Denver/MN championship game.  Is it true that next season (excluding post season play) that UND plays MN only twice?  Between Westrum-in-training (Ballard, say what you want, he might be a pest, but he has been able to back up his actions/attitude with his play/ability) and "slap shot" Canady,  the rivalry between the two schools should  be entertaining for the next couple years regardless of how few regular season games there are.

In a tie playoff game, in overtime, especially with less than 2 minutes left, the zebras are not about to call anything on anybody but the most flagrant penalties where somebody could be injured, e.g., slashing over the shoulders, cross checking to the head/neck, whatever.  No way in ####, were they going to blow a whistle for something like that at that stage.

Like I said before we need an enforcer on this team to provide a "presence."  This year's defense corps generally stood around like a bunch of traffic pylons when it counted.  We clone Commodore and I'd bet our goalies and snipers will stay a lot safer too.  Personally, I'd falso oot for boxing lessons for David Hale, Matt Greene and Andy Schneider, maybe Marvin too.  ???