SiouxSports.com Forum

Pulling Scholarships?

SIOUXFAN97

Whatever the coaches decide to do will be difficult. The fact remains is that we need to replace Mitchell and need some bigs. It doesn't appear its going to happen with this current red shirt junior class next year. They have already been given 4 full years of free tuition. Possibly Goodman can replace Mitchell if healthy. He is a good rebounder and from what I understand was playing very well prior to his injury. So we need at least one big and possibly a back up for Mitchell for next year. Thats 2 scholarships we do not have availble to offer currently. Some tough decisions, but to be competitive in the Big Sky next year these decisions will need to be made.

Could you imagine the football program having a 24-person red shirt junior class, all on full scholarship, and there being no starters from that group, and only minimal playing time? That's roughly the equivalent of the current situation with UND men's basketball.

• Upvote 1

Could you imagine the football program having a 24-person red shirt junior class, all on full scholarship, and there being no starters from that group, and only minimal playing time? That's roughly the equivalent of the current situation with UND men's basketball.

Thats a comparison that will spin your head around. Next year as it stands we will have 5 seniors, 5 juniors and 2 sophomores and 1 red shirt freshman on full scholarships. All 5 seniors play minimal minutes and make little contribution, the 5 juniors to be play most of the minutes and all have contributed into one of the finest classes UND has ever had with 4 starting each of the last 2 years. The 2 sophomores and 1 red shirt freshman has yet been determined what kind of impact they may have. So far it hasnt been much. Really dont see them getting alot of playing time with the class in front of them until their senior years. It will be interesting what happens to say the least.

If any of the current Junior's scholarships get pulled, my money is on Nick Haugen's. Although being a great shooter, he seems to be lost in a rich back-court. Goodman was fairly productive as a freshman and sophomore, and Archer has been a part of the regular rotation for defensive reasons. Wilmer is too tall on a small team for the staff to risk losing him because of a non-renewal.

Its a shame this has to be discussed but cutting scholarships happens every year at every program. I have talked many times to all of our players and they are very nice young men that work extremely hard for this university. Unfortunately there are only so many minutes that can be played in a game and not everyone will see alot of minutes. This team needs a few more pieces of the puzzle to make it competitive in the coming years in the Big Sky and tough decisions will need to be made. The class in question has already gotten 4 years of free college so if a cut is made they still made out pretty well. I wish my kids got 4 years paid for.

When we are running things properly, if a kid can't make it, they get cut but UND continues their scholarship for the full four or five years whichever applies to the kid. When a kid makes a commitment to UND, UND needs to make a commitment to the kid. I know we have done that when kids get hurt and can't continue. I would do the same for kids who commit to UND and do everything asked of them. If we make a mistake and recruit the wrong kid, either help him or her transfer if they wish, or continue their scholarship if they want to stay at UND.

• Upvote 1

When we are running things properly, if a kid can't make it, they get cut but UND continues their scholarship for the full four or five years whichever applies to the kid. When a kid makes a commitment to UND, UND needs to make a commitment to the kid. I know we have done that when kids get hurt and can't continue. I would do the same for kids who commit to UND and do everything asked of them. If we make a mistake and recruit the wrong kid, either help him or her transfer if they wish, or continue their scholarship if they want to stay at UND.

Unfortunately, this is a situation where to some extent Jones is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't. If he maintains the status quo, he's conceivably blowing an opportunity to have a legitimate chance to make the NCAA tournament--an opportunity that may not come again any time soon. On the other hand, if he non-renews the scholarships of a few fifth-year seniors-to-be so that better talent can be brought in to supplement the talent of the current group of sophomores, some will be view that as unfair and/or unethical. I'm glad I'm not in his shoes. I suspect this may serve as a cautionary tale to any coach who may be tempted to redshirt a large group at once.

If not getting a fifth year full-ride scholarship, after four years of a full-ride scholarship, is a gross injustice, the world is a very good place.

The non-redshirted players are contributing the most. Yet, they won't get the fifth year scholarship if they need another year to finish. How is that justice?

The greatest injustice to this team is if they don't sign two or three players this spring - that simply wouldn't be fair to the players who will only get four years of scholarships.