SiouxSports.com Forum

Chief Illiniwek survives!

mksioux

I find it interesting that this resolution that would have retired the Chief Illiniwek mascot included a recognition of support for the underlying nickname. I'm sure the PC left at Illinois don't really support the nickname, but included it to help passage of the resolution. Once (if) the mascot is dropped, I'm sure the nickname will be their next target. One thing is for sure, the PC left will always find something to protest.

The majority spoke, common sense won & radical liberalism took it in the shorts like it should. Way to go, fellas! Someone send Saigo or whoever that SCSU nutball is this news. Maybe he would smarten up if UND joined forces with PETA & launched an all-out crusade against the Husky nickname--this reverse psychology might enlighten him as to how meaningless & shallow fighting over a simple name is. Wishful thinking...

• 4 months later...
Chief Illiniwek receives vote of support from the student body. The vote was 9,100 to 4,000. Opponents vow to take their fight to the board of trustees,

Thats about 70 percent in favor of the name, pretty strong support for the name.

I am sure there will be some that think 29 percent is enough of an out cry to change the name. Good for UofI.

I don't know how many of you may know this, but their mascot (the guy dressed up at football games) actually does Native American dances. He is actually taught by someone from an indian tribe. They are very respectful of their mascot (not that we aren't).

The Anti-Name crowd would go banas up here if they heard that.

I don't know how many of you may know this, but their mascot (the guy dressed up at football games) actually does Native American dances. He is actually taught by someone from an indian tribe. They are very respectful of their mascot (not that we aren't).

We don't have a mascot.