SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU Poor Losers?

huskies679

The NDSU people blame the refs for their loss at SCSU. You have to read the complaints about the refs. When leaving the game i walked out of Selke with 50 or so NDSU fans that were swearing and yelling about the refs. (In front of kids of course) A very crude bunch.

The loss had nothing to do with a missed extra point, of a dropped thouchdown pass in overtime.

Why the difference in mentality when it comes to sportsmanship between NDSU and UND. I have seen many many UND vs SCSU events and the fans are great. A fun bunch. But the fans out of Fargo are something else.

Has it always been this way?

The NDSU people blame the refs for their loss at SCSU. You have to read the complaints about the refs. When leaving the game i walked out of Selke with 50 or so NDSU fans that were swearing and yelling about the refs. (In front of kids of course) A very crude bunch.

The loss had nothing to do with a missed extra point, of a dropped thouchdown pass in overtime.

Why the difference in mentality when it comes to sportsmanship between NDSU and UND. I have seen many many UND vs SCSU events and the fans are great. A fun bunch. But the fans out of Fargo are something else.

Has it always been this way?

I am afraid to say yes. The Bison fans are a dime a dozen. I guess I would be frustrated too if I had to watch my team lose all the time.

By the way, Congrats to St. Cloud on some great seasons you have put together. Honestly, it is nice to see you guys up there in the NCC. Coach Hedberg is a good man and a good coach.

I checked out that thread, and it's worth noting that a lot of reasonable Bison fans have also told the whiners to quit blaming the refs. When you get a team with tens of thousands of fans, there's going to be a mix of all personality types. I have no doubt there would be Sioux fans with similar grumblings if we were in a similar situation.

Huskies,

I was at the game last Saturday at Selke Field also. I saw some bison fans trying to run down the bleachers to the sidelines to go confront the refs on the field but they left before the fans could get there. What calls they could have possibly been mad at regarding the outcome of the game, I have no idea. Also another classy bison fan had seen me with a bunch of sioux fans in the stands, and decided to stare me down after the game was over. At first I pretended to not see that he was hawking at me. But after a few times of looking back and forth, I stared back at him. He then said, and I quote "Good luck against Crookston in the future!" I did nothing to instigate it, and he felt he had to tell me off because the bison had lost. I replied by telling him that we will keep scheduling easier competition, while NDSU schedules all the tough games, and UND will continue to beat NDSU, win NCC titles, and go to the playoffs(and host them). Honestly, the schedule looks great on paper, but it probably hurt them in the long run. Who cares who you schedule if you cant make it through the conference season, beat UND, and make the playoffs? I'll take the home playoff games and NCC titles, ahead of scheduling Montana every day. My point is, when it came time for that bison fan to say something to me, all he could say was something in regards to scheduling, and Crookston, who we will no longer play. I realize that all bison fans are not like that, and this post is not directed towards all bison fans. Some of them just need think before they speak, and so do UND fans. I actually had a very good conversation with a few bison fans at the game. They were very down to earth people and I enjoyed speaking with them.

Also another classy bison fan had seen me with a bunch of sioux fans in the stands, and decided to stare me down after the game was over.  At first I pretended to not see that he was hawking at me.  But after a few times of looking back and forth, I stared back at him.  He then said, and I quote "Good luck against Crookston in the future!" 

It sounds like it could have been the infamous JBB! :silly:

I think most the Bison fans who post on this board are pretty reasonable and respectful. However, having listened to the radio call-in shows on WDAY and KFGO on a fairly regular basis, it would appear on the surface that there are more NDSU fans who have an irrational hatred of UND than there are UND fans with an irrational hatred of NDSU. Obviously the rivalry is such that there is going to be a certain amount of animosity, but it shouldn't get to the level where supposed adults are acting like 9-year-olds.

*puts flame-retardant suit on* ???

In defense of those that questioned the officiating at the NDSU/SCSU game, most Bison fans(myself included) concluded that it had no impact to the outcome of the game. NDSU had their opportunities to win (missed extra point, dropped pass in OT, etc.). I didn't comment about it until I had the opportunity to watch the video repeatedly after the game. The officating crew was routinely making bad calls or no calls on simple calls that are their primary responsiblities, i.e. there were three SCSU kickoffs where the player just to the right of the kicker was three yards past the ball when the ball was kicked, two plays where the DE clearly had his hand past the nose of the ball(it was on a line, so it was obvious),and the list goes on and on. I could care less about subjective penalties such as holding and pass interference, as I felt they called those well and were consistent (including the last play of OT)The black and white penalties, however, were a different story. When officials reach for their flags, but then look at the other officials and don't throw it, something's not right :silly: . There wasn't consistency in the calls. The WDAY crew, who are known as one of the more objective broadcast crews, even commented on the poor performance of the officials. Phil Hanson, who is an official, even said they weren't doing a good job. My problem with the officials was not that they had an impact on the game, but rather that they did a very poor job. They should be reviewed at a minimum, and if they are found to have done as poor a job as I believe, they should face disciplinary action. To have them botch up a playoff game and possibly have an impact on the outcome of the game would be an atrocity.

Conclusion(because I was longwinded :( ):

1) The reason that NDSU lost was because SCSU scored more points.

2)The officials did not perform their jobs very well at the game.

Two separate events, neither one is related to the other.

Missed extra point. Yes.

Dropped ball on 1st down in OT. Yes.

One other factor caused NDSU to lose that game.

In OT, on 3rd and 15 (because a run got stuffed for -5 on 2nd and 10), they took a delay of game penalty to make it 3rd and 20 and put them out of FG range.

The first two weren't good but could have been overcome.

The delay of game penalty broke their back.

Sicatoka,

The biggest reason why SCSU won is because they scored more points. :silly: NDSU had opportunities (not having a punt blocked would have helped), but SCSU capitalized on more of their opportunities. That's the way football goes, whoever has the most points wins, and last week that was SCSU.

Bison1234- I was not told off on the Bison board. My posts were deleted! I had nothing to pout about. I was just shocked at the vulgar language after the game and the crying by the NDSU fans. I also did not mention the SEVERAL Bison fans pounding on the windows of the refs minivan when they were trying to get the heck out (escape) of there.

There were also four horrible no calls for pass interference that should have gone against NDSU. But whatever, its a game. I guess I was just plain shocked at the actions of some NDSU fans after the game. There were also personal (verbal)attacks on SCSU fans who told them to shut up and take it like men.

I guess I always knew there was a difference between UND and NDSU fans but not to this degree. Even when I do to the REA to see a SCSU/UND game (which I amd going to) I get treated fine and there are fun jabs at each other. I just wanted to see UND fans slant on the issue. Good luck in the playoffs Sioux. You always represent the NCC well in the playoffs.

I guess I always knew there was a difference between UND and NDSU fans but not to this degree. 

It's probably common knowledge on this board that I share this perception. Just as there are cultural differences between companies, there are cultural differences between universities. To me, NDSU's culture has a certain swagger of aggressiveness and smugness that lends itself more easily to some of the behavior described by huskies679.

Ironically, this aggressive behavior among a small fraction of Bison fans also results in the rest of the fans becoming more passive, because they don’t want to be associated with blatant aggressiveness. Any wonder NDSU fans in the Fargodome sit on their hands?

It may surprise Bison fans who frequent this board that I have three brothers that graduated from NDSU (and we are not estranged ;):) ). The brother that is most passionate about NDSU wants nothing to do with Bison athletics because of what he calls the ‘jerk’ factor.