SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL 2010-2011

jimdahl

Sunday afternoon game on NBC features the season's only scheduled matchup between two of the hottest teams this Spring -- Blackhawks at Capitals.

On NBC right now.

Caught the last period. Thought your Caps had it, before a Blackhawk PP goal tied the game @ 38 sec...

Caps beautiful goal in OT makes it a good weekend for you... :) Close wins by the Sioux & Capitals!

Crosby back on ice for first time since concussion

Until a week ago, riding an exercise bike would trigger concussion-related symptoms later that day, so Crosby said he's not even thinking yet about pushing himself to get back into game shape.

"Today is progress, but I'm nowhere close to where I need to be as far as being in shape," said Crosby. "I'm not even going to talk about that. I just want to be able to get through that (skating) without getting a headache, let alone worrying about where my conditioning is at. That's a whole new level."

Bettman unveils more stringent concussion plan

Great read, I enjoyed it very much. Thanks for sharing.

But of course you like that Gutless Puke and P.O.S. known as Matt Cooke. I also think it would be a great idea, Daneyko is a smart man.

Apparently the NHL does not have a violence problem as much as it has a Matt Cooke problem. Ken Daneyko, a three-time Stanley Cup winner as a Devils defenseman, and now a between-periods analyst for New Jersey on MSG Network, offered a solution. Warming to the subject on a radio show on Feb. 9, Daneyko said, "I'm as crazy as this: The NHL [should declare] open season for one week on Matt Cooke. You won't get suspended. Then we'll see if he'll continue [dishing out cheap hits] for the rest of the season or his career."

Cooke had already been having a turbulent week before Daneyko painted a bull's-eye on his sweater. With Pittsburgh trailing the Capitals by two goals in the final four minutes of a nationally televised game on Feb. 6, Cooke dinged Washington star Alex Ovechkin with a drive-by, knee-on-knee check. After the match Washington's Bruce Boudreau, who coached Cooke for 17 games in 2008, said, "It's Matt Cooke. Need we say more? It's not his first rodeo. He's done it to everybody. Then he goes to the ref and says, 'What did I do?' He knows damn well what he did." Cooke's penalty drew the maximum $2,500 fine and a rebuke from NHL senior executive vice president Colin Campbell, who told Cooke he did not want to be having any more such discussions with him in the immediate future. Two days later Campbell and Cooke spoke again, this time in a formal hearing. Insufficiently chastened, Cooke had rammed Blue Jackets defenseman Fedor Tyutin from behind into the end boards. Campbell suspended Cooke for four games, with $87,804.88 in lost salary, for a hit that former star Jeremy Roenick termed "chickens---" and worthy of a 20-game suspension.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

But of course you like that Gutless Puke and P.O.S. known as Matt Cooke. I also think it would be a great idea, Daneyko is a smart man.

Late but not never....

I dislike Cooke with a passion and Daneyko is right when he says that Cooke and those who immitate them are the face of the "problem" inherit within the NHL today. HOWEVER, I disagree that injury is the best solution to the problem because, if Cooke is run and gets injured, then doesn't that action justify Daneyko's claim?

The correct action would be to make repeat offenders receive over the top punishments... stuff that would send most fans through the roof and having the offender crying for justice.

Example? Cooke concusses (illegally) another player this year after already doing it once (or twice)... he's suspended for the remainder of the season and postseason and fined variably based upon the final game total Pittsburgh plays... so, if Pittsburgh doesn't make the playoffs, Cooke pays less overall... if the Pens win the Cup and does so playing the maximum games necessary to do so, Cooke loses big time.

OH YEAH, as the Coup de Grace, Cooke's name is removed from eligibility to be placed on the Cup should the Penguins, in my example, win the Cup the year he is suspended thusly.

I'm going to have to think up an accompanying punishment for the team of the offender... A fine doesn't do it. In this case, the league would be getting plenty of money. Maybe some sort of roster penalty can be thought up... like being forced to dress one skater short?

Over the top.

But that'd send a message, no?

Funny, I thought this guy was just a "hard nosed" player and played "within the context of the game", whatever that means... :glare:

Penguins' Matt Cooke suspended

I do like the reply from Pittsburgh's GM, Ray Shero:

"The suspension is warranted because that's exactly the kind of hit we're trying to get out of the game," Shero said in a statement. "Head shots have no place in hockey. We've told Matt in no uncertain terms that this kind of action on the ice is unacceptable and cannot happen. Head shots must be dealt with severely, and the Pittsburgh Penguins support the NHL in sending this very strong message."

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Funny, I thought this guy was just a "hard nosed" player and played "within the context of the game", whatever that means... :glare:

"The suspension is warranted because that's exactly the kind of hit we're trying to get out of the game," Shero said in a statement. "Head shots have no place in hockey. We've told Matt in no uncertain terms that this kind of action on the ice is unacceptable and cannot happen. Head shots must be dealt with severely, and the Pittsburgh Penguins support the NHL in sending this very strong message."

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lmn2B0TuF8&feature=player_embedded

Cheap shot champion.

They interviewed the wrong man.

If they had interviewed Mario Lemieux the media would have gotten a diatribe saying that, though the hit looked rough, "McDonaugh should have watched where he was going and, by the way, when is Steckel and Hedman going to be banned indefinitely for touching my beloved Crosby? My team is perfect and really, the rest of the league needs to just recognize and stop penalizing my wonderful players."

Well Goon will be happy about the suspension.

I think it's a good start and if this hack even sneezes wrong double the suspension he just got. Make it hurt or let the players in the league run him without threat of a suspension.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah good point, Context of the game chicken winging someone with their elbow causing a concussion. Ray77 I wish this little hack would dance with some of the real tough guys in the NHL and take what's coming to him. Cooke is a lot like Carcillo and will only fight the guys Cooke thinks he can beat he won't fight the Boogeyman or ________ insert heavy weight. Some day when he isn't looking he is going to get what is coming his way.

Yeah good point, Context of the game chicken winging someone with their elbow causing a concussion. Ray77 I wish this little hack would dance with some of the real tough guys in the NHL and take what's coming to him. Cooke is a lot like Carcillo and will only fight the guys Cooke thinks he can beat he won't fight the Boogeyman or ________ insert heavy weight. Some day when he isn't looking he is going to get what is coming his way.

Shawn Thornton - I'd love to see that! :lol:

I don't need to see Cooke get his clock cleaned. I already did. Evander Kane did it, remember?

What I'd like to see is excessive suspensions. I think excessiveness is the only way to reach morons like Cooke.

2 games is a pittance. Much like $10,000 fines are to NFL football stars making 15 to 20 times that.

If you give out of this world bans for repeat offenders of this rule, then EVERYONE will come down on it. It won't be a situation where the player stands in front of the team and apologizes and the GM and coach say "Bad boy!"

it will be the players revolting on the player and the GM saying "This team cannot afford to keep paying you anything more than league minimum for the type of play you put on the ice if we can keep you around at all."

Heh... if Cooke faced the real threat of being actually banned from the NHL for an unbelievably long period of time (20+ games) and then face the real realization that the team he plays for won't tolerate it either and put the black mark of death on his career (see Barry Bonds forced retirement), he'll change real fast or just up and quit.

THAT is TV worth watching. Nobody gets hurt and everybody gets what they deserve...whether it be a reformed Cooke (much like Bertuzzi reformed after being reinstated) or an NHL free of players like Cooke. I'd take either case.

You do realize that the rest of the regular season plus the 1st round of the playoffs amounts to at least 14, and possibly as many as 17, games... right? I think it's fair to say that could be defined as "excessive" or "unbelievably long". Not quite 20+ games, but very very close. You have essentially already received what you're wishing for here.

How is that excessive? I think it's too light if you ask me and many NHL fans.

14 to 17 games for a hit that warrants about 5 games is excessive. Extremely excessive. People are just way too wrapped up in their irrational hatred of Matt Cooke to see things objectively. Try saving that hatred for some thug who goes around instigating fights like Colton Orr or Derek Boogard.

You may want to take a step back and read what you posted. "14 to 17 games for a hit that warrants about 5 games is excessive". You ever stop to think why Cooke got 14 - 17 games, if it's a hit that for someone else may warrant a 5 game suspension?

I'll give you a hint...it's because he's "earned" it. Now can we put a rest to all the "Matt Cooke is just a hard-nosed player" talk that we continually hear from you?

What you call earning it I call a double-standard/witchhunt, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Cooke's long-running history of cheap-shots helped him earn this suspension. If someone like David Backes did the same thing, it wouldn't have been the same suspension (and rightly so). This point isn't debatable.

And no we can't put to rest the Matt Cooke is just a hard-nosed player talk because that's exactly what he is. I don't care what the flat-earth society thinks, I know I'm right.

I think everyone knows Matt Cooke plays hard. Some guys play hard and clean. Others play hard and dirty. Not difficult to figure out which category Cooke falls in.

Not that I'm always right about everything

You don't have to remind us...

but I'm 100% certain that I'm right on this one particular specific topic.

Wrong again.

Matt Cooke plays with a lot of heart, intensity, and aggression. Sometimes that aggression gets away from him and he accidentally hits a guy in way in which he did not intend to.

So wait, his elbow 'accidentally' went away from the natural path of his body into McDonagh's head? The hit was 100% intentional. Cooke saying that he 'needs to change the way he plays' is all the evidence we need that the hit was intentional.

He needs to learn how to harness that intensity and reel it in just a bit from time to time. I don't think that is going to be as easy as it sounds because if he reels it in too much he will lose his effectiveness in his role as a grinder.

He's 32 years old. By the time he changes something about his game, he will already be irrelevant.

Having said that, I respect your right to disagree with me.

Might be the most rational thing you've ever said.

• Upvote 1

If he didn't raise his elbow, Cooke would have missed McDonaugh entirely. Cooke doesn't go out on the ice to miss people. Just like with the Savard hit he said "I was just going out there to make my presence known."

Well, McDonaugh knows he was there now.

It's just as imbecilic to suggest that Tyutin should have known he was coming or protected himself better. He was too busy playing the puck to understand that he was going to get run FROM BEHIND.

In any case, I am envious of Matt Cooke. Tyutin was at an obvious disadvantage compared to Cooke.. I mean, Cooke wouldn't say such things if he didn't have eyes in the back of his head. What an advantage.

Cooke got that 14-17 game suspension because he earned it. The McDonaugh hit was simply the latest example of a recurring theme. These aren't isolated incidents. He's been in trouble for these types of hits before this season. Repeat offenders aren't witch-hunted as you suggest. They are made example of.

And 20+ games in my post was meant to represent what SHOULD happen, not what ACTUALLY happened. Then again, if I got my way, Cooke would be done until next season.

The biggest problem is that it takes until NOW, with the track record Cooke has, for him to realize that his playing style needs to change. Why now? Wouldn't that be something you'd say after the second infraction? It took him 5 to get to this point! If this is the case, is there any cause to actually believe he'll stop being dirty? Oh, I know it's possible. Bertuzzi hasn't made an illegal hit since he was allowed back. I'm sure he probably believes that if he played the way Cooke did, he'd be banned permanently.

You can be big, physical, and your presence known without being cheap and dirty. Cooke hasn't figured it out and he probably never will since he's so seemingly slow on the uptake. How many people has to sit him down to talk about it? And that's another thing... after these repeated "sit downs" by Bylsma or Shero or whomever on the Pens... are they really getting to Cooke? Do they even meant what they are saying?

I'm questioning Lemieux already with this BS about Crosby's hit being the key to why the NHL's player safety protocols are questionable while allowing the team he owns to set examples that makes his point for him. Is he truly acting in the best interest of the league? Perhaps not since he hasn't said a word since Cooke's suspension. I guess the respect garnered from an incredible career gets him such a benefit.

I do not understand why Matt Cooke always gets singled out when every team in the league has a player or two that is just like him. Is it an anti-Penguins thing? Based on the fact that I never heard much about him before he came to Pittsburgh, I'm thinking that must be it. All I can say is from my point of view it is sickening. I am SOOOOOO sick and tired of this argument. I'm never going to change your mind and you're never going to change mine. I think the time has come to leave this dead horse alone.

First off, I first heard the anti Matt Cooke talk while he was a Canuck. I don't know if that was why Vancouver let him go but I don't know.

Secondly, you're wrong. Every team has a tough guy and a hitter. But very few teams have cheap shot artists.

Third, Matt Cooke isn't targetted at all. Look at Sean Avery. The League was on his backside for a while but he may still talk crap and be a scumbag, but he has stopped making illegal plays. So, the disgust to Avery is only by those who know what Avery is about and how he operates. Cooke doesn't let the fires simmer down before he headhunts again! Remember, the NHL was only mildly talking about headshots last season before Cooke took Savard out.

You don't get targetted unless you put yourself in position to be targeted. You can change and Cooke is capable of changing, but he's going to have to prove it on the ice before anyone will believe him.

-------------------------------------

NDSUstudent-

I believe you are looking for the amazing save by the LA Kings (and former UMass-Lowell) goaltender Jonathon Quick. You can find it here.

• 3 weeks later...

In other news, Bettman staunchly denies that he's brain dead.

This move was PURELY financial. Otherwise, they'd've taken a deal that would have taken the NHL to ESPN and ramped up games on the NHL Network. ESPN is in the same parent organization as ABC so they could air on that channel as well. Probably not as financially lucrative but it is about 1 billion times better due to viewership. True, ESPN cares as much about hockey as most car collectors care about rust on the bumper of their pristine 1959 Corvette Hardtop convertible, but the viewership info doesn't lie.

Curiosity overwhelms me.... comparing the viewership of ESPN2 to Versus....If hockey ran only on ESPN2, would they still reach more homes than Versus?