SiouxSports.com Forum

GFAFB Rises Again

GeauxSioux

Grand Forks Air Force Base leader: ‘It’s coming, it’s on time’

Before Col. Don Shaffer took command of Grand Forks Air Force Base a year ago, he’d heard about the departure of all the base’s flying tankers and thought the place was “drying up.”

He must’ve thought everyone else still thinks that because today, speaking to an audience of businesspeople and government officials, he spent most of his time explaining in detail why the base wasn’t drying up.

Base population will rebound at the start of the year and more new aircraft are coming, he promised. Last fiscal year, he said, the Air Force put a third more money into base projects than the prior fiscal year.

“It’s coming, it’s on time and a lot of people are coming with it,” he said.

Great news for the Grand Forks area.

Thanks to the 3 Amigos. The base would have been toast with the other guys. But with Berg tied to Fargo and the Air Guard there things should be OK I hope.

If you like Politics things are really going to heat up. Are the Repbs. going to get rid of pork barrel spending like alot of the tea party want. I think the answer is no it's nothing but campaign rhetoric. We'll see.

Thanks to the 3 Amigos. The base would have been toast with the other guys. But with Berg tied to Fargo and the Air Guard there things should be OK I hope.

If you like Politics things are really going to heat up. Are the Repbs. going to get rid of pork barrel spending like alot of the tea party want. I think the answer is no it's nothing but campaign rhetoric. We'll see.

We can't continue to spend like we are, we are broke and the debt is going to cause this country to collapse... I can see a lot of non-defense spending cut...

Air bases will probably be safe.

They have been saying this for how long now? The base is a graveyard today. Two dorms torn down and one sitting empty does not make for a lot of confidence. Most people have no idea how few people are left at the base. Most, if not all of the security is civilians working for the DOD now.

They have been saying this for how long now? The base is a graveyard today. Two dorms torn down and one sitting empty does not make for a lot of confidence. Most people have no idea how few people are left at the base. Most, if not all of the security is civilians working for the DOD now.

The process is exactly on schedule. Things like this don't happen overnight. The base has just about reached the projected low point. There are 4 tankers still on base, they will be gone by the first week of December. There are a little over 2,000 active duty airmen on base right now. The next mission will start moving in during February or March. The first actual UAV's should arrive this coming summer. Hangers are being renovated. Several of the buildings that have been torn down in recent years were because they needed to be replaced, and they have been replaced. For instance, they have a new residence building to replace the 2 dorms that were torn down. Millions of dollars have been spent upgrading the base. A brand new fire department building is currently being built, a new traffic control tower just opened in the past year or so. All of this could still be changed, But right now the prospects for the GFAFB are pretty good.

The process is exactly on schedule. Things like this don't happen overnight. The base has just about reached the projected low point. There are 4 tankers still on base, they will be gone by the first week of December. There are a little over 2,000 active duty airmen on base right now. The next mission will start moving in during February or March. The first actual UAV's should arrive this coming summer. Hangers are being renovated. Several of the buildings that have been torn down in recent years were because they needed to be replaced, and they have been replaced. For instance, they have a new residence building to replace the 2 dorms that were torn down. Millions of dollars have been spent upgrading the base. A brand new fire department building is currently being built, a new traffic control tower just opened in the past year or so. All of this could still be changed, But right now the prospects for the GFAFB are pretty good.

Good points, The CBP UAS mission that patrols the northern border it out there are well.

Where is this new resident building you speak of? There are no new resident buildings like the two dorms that were torn down or the one that was closed.

Where is this new resident building you speak of? There are no new resident buildings like the two dorms that were torn down or the one that was closed.

I was out there this summer for a tour and they pointed out a new residence building. It isn't exactly like the old dorms, they are going to living quarters more like newer dorms on college campuses. It sounded almost like suites with shared bathrooms instead of the rooms with a bunch of guys sleeping in them. They said that it replaced a couple of dorms that were torn down. They are making the base more like a college campus and less like an old fashioned military base. We were on a bus so I'm not sure exactly where the building is on base, but I believe it is north and west of the fitness center.

I was out there this summer for a tour and they pointed out a new residence building. It isn't exactly like the old dorms, they are going to living quarters more like newer dorms on college campuses. It sounded almost like suites with shared bathrooms instead of the rooms with a bunch of guys sleeping in them. They said that it replaced a couple of dorms that were torn down. They are making the base more like a college campus and less like an old fashioned military base. We were on a bus so I'm not sure exactly where the building is on base, but I believe it is north and west of the fitness center.

I talked to a contractor on Saturday who said he has 5 construction projects at GFAFB. Good news for the local economy.

I talked to a contractor on Saturday who said he has 5 construction projects at GFAFB. Good news for the local economy.

Yeah I would be very surprised if they closed the GFAB. It's location is strategic and they have done a nice job of keeping the place up to date.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't end up with more Tankers some day.

I have an all access pass for the base and there are no new living quarters. They turned a couple of old dorms into motel suites that the guys from the reserves stay in and families that are leaving or coming but that is it, and that was a few years ago. No dorms or livng quarters have been built. They now have five dorms total for enlisted people. Three family style dorms, two to the southeast of the gym, by where the commissary was, and one across from the Warrior Inn which are all operated by the Warrior Inn. I have been going there on a regular basis for ten years and I think I would know.

I have an all access pass for the base and there are no new living quarters. They turned a couple of old dorms into motel suites that the guys from the reserves stay in and families that are leaving or coming but that is it, and that was a few years ago. No dorms or livng quarters have been built. They now have five dorms total for enlisted people. Three family style dorms, two to the southeast of the gym, by where the commissary was, and one across from the Warrior Inn which are all operated by the Warrior Inn. I have been going there on a regular basis for ten years and I think I would know.

The tour was for a group from the community and was being given by the base commander and the person in charge of facilities, so I kind of think that they would know something. I'm pretty sure that the information I gave above is what they told us. They pointed at the building as we drove by and I remember the conversation about making the living style more like college so that it is more appealing than it had been. They also told us that they were replacing, or had recently replaced, some of the family housing on base. The reason was to modernize the facility. We didn't go up to see it but they pointed it out on a map during a presentation.

The Border Patrol loves the location of GFAFB. They can fly Predators and some day Reapers out of there to patrol the northern border. That will help keep that facility on-line.

We got a tour of their facility while we were on base also. It seemed like a good location and a nice operation.

The Border Patrol loves the location of GFAFB. They can fly Predators and some day Reapers out of there to patrol the northern border. That will help keep that facility on-line.

Not to nick pick but the UAS mission is part of Air and Marine which is a wing of CBP and DHS. Different uniforms, but same mission securing the border and keeping us safe from Weapons of Mass Destruction and Terrorism.

The tour was for a group from the community and was being given by the base commander and the person in charge of facilities, so I kind of think that they would know something. I'm pretty sure that the information I gave above is what they told us. They pointed at the building as we drove by and I remember the conversation about making the living style more like college so that it is more appealing than it had been. They also told us that they were replacing, or had recently replaced, some of the family housing on base. The reason was to modernize the facility. We didn't go up to see it but they pointed it out on a map during a presentation.

I think you might have misunderstood him. They have replaced family housing over the years because the old stuff was junk. There are only three buildings like you refer to. One was a converted dorm that was done eight years ago. The other five years or so ago and neither house enlisted people. They are used as motel rooms and that is why the Warrior Inn runs them and provides housekeeping services. The other building is across the street from the Warrior Inn and is called Faimly Billeting. People stay there when moving on or off the base. Also during the winter there is hardly ever anyone in the first two buildings I mentioned. The number of kids that go to before and after school programs at the Youth Center has fallen off the map this year. Why do you think they want to merge the two schools on base? Because there are hardly any kids left. If there was a new building for enlisted people to live in I would know for sure since my company would have equipment in it.

I think you might have misunderstood him. They have replaced family housing over the years because the old stuff was junk. There are only three buildings like you refer to. One was a converted dorm that was done eight years ago. The other five years or so ago and neither house enlisted people. They are used as motel rooms and that is why the Warrior Inn runs them and provides housekeeping services. The other building is across the street from the Warrior Inn and is called Faimly Billeting. People stay there when moving on or off the base. Also during the winter there is hardly ever anyone in the first two buildings I mentioned. The number of kids that go to before and after school programs at the Youth Center has fallen off the map this year. Why do you think they want to merge the two schools on base? Because there are hardly any kids left. If there was a new building for enlisted people to live in I would know for sure since my company would have equipment in it.

I may have misunderstood the timeframe. We talked about a lot of buildings on the tour. But it seemed like it was a pretty recent development. And they did mention tearing down old dorms that weren't needed because of the new one. But I am sure that they were talking about regular housing for enlisted people. The conversation was about how they wanted to make being in the military more appealing to the age group that would be in college. That's why they were making those dorms more like the newer college dorms. They also mentioned having more transient housing for people passing through or on temporary duty.

The discussion on combining the 2 schools has been put on hold. They believe that the school population has come pretty close to bottoming out. They expect it to start climbing either next year or more probably the following year.

As I said earlier, this is all on the schedule that was set up when it was decided that the tankers were leaving. This base may never have 10,000 people working on base again, but it should be a significant part of the region for many years to come. They have put in a lot of time and a great deal of money improving and modernizing the base. Many people think it has some of the best facilities in the Air Force. That being said, nothing is guaranteed, especially with the political and economic climate in the country today. The base could get a new tanker mission and also become a major UAV base. Or it could go away totally. Only time will tell.

I may have misunderstood the timeframe. We talked about a lot of buildings on the tour. But it seemed like it was a pretty recent development. And they did mention tearing down old dorms that weren't needed because of the new one. But I am sure that they were talking about regular housing for enlisted people. The conversation was about how they wanted to make being in the military more appealing to the age group that would be in college. That's why they were making those dorms more like the newer college dorms. They also mentioned having more transient housing for people passing through or on temporary duty.

The discussion on combining the 2 schools has been put on hold. They believe that the school population has come pretty close to bottoming out. They expect it to start climbing either next year or more probably the following year.

As I said earlier, this is all on the schedule that was set up when it was decided that the tankers were leaving. This base may never have 10,000 people working on base again, but it should be a significant part of the region for many years to come. They have put in a lot of time and a great deal of money improving and modernizing the base. Many people think it has some of the best facilities in the Air Force. That being said, nothing is guaranteed, especially with the political and economic climate in the country today. The base could get a new tanker mission and also become a major UAV base. Or it could go away totally. Only time will tell.

Well they have not done any work on any dorms in years. One of the dorms they tore down was full ol mold. The dorms they converted as you noted are being used for people passing through and transient housing and that is all they have ever been used for, that is why the motel people run them. Next time I am out there I will talk to a Sarg. who is a dorm manager he should know what their plans are. I even doubt that there are 2,000 Air Force pesonal left there anymore. The dorms are really empty and there is generally only civilians working in most buildings. I would say there might even be more civilians employeed than military today.

Well they have not done any work on any dorms in years. One of the dorms they tore down was full ol mold. The dorms they converted as you noted are being used for people passing through and transient housing and that is all they have ever been used for, that is why the motel people run them. Next time I am out there I will talk to a Sarg. who is a dorm manager he should know what their plans are. I even doubt that there are 2,000 Air Force pesonal left there anymore. The dorms are really empty and there is generally only civilians working in most buildings. I would say there might even be more civilians employeed than military today.

The following quotes are from Colonel Shaffer, base commander, in this GF Herald article earlier this week.

Currently, the base has 1,500 personnel and another 2,200 dependents and civilian workers and four KC-135 Stratotankers. Those tankers are leaving next month.

Starting the following month, Shaffer said, new personnel are arriving with their family to prepare for the July arrival of the first Global Hawk, the nation

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Report: GFAFB tentative home for 4 new refueling tankers in 2017, 8 more later

Four of the first six new air refueling tankers slated to join the Air Force fleet in 2017 tentatively are to go to Grand Forks Air Force Base, according to Air Force Times.

The Grand Forks base tentatively would received 12 tankers in total, the military newspaper reported.

Great news for GF.