SiouxSports.com Forum

UNO @ UND game thread

U2Bad1

Nice to see the boys finally got that UNO monkey off their backs, although it would've been nice to do have done without all the dramatics ;) . They should treat all further opponents as if they are UMC, then maybe they could win without giving me a coronary!

:D

NICE WIN GUYS (when the goin' gets tough....)

Was our defense just playing poorly or was UNO offense that great? I thought I heard that we gave over 400 yards of offense. And their running back rushed for more than a hundred. That doesn't happen much to the Sioux.

Why couldn't we find a way to cover their best reciever? We knew he'd be getting the ball all game.

Big win, but it does seem like we have room for improvement.

Was our defense just playing poorly or was UNO offense that great? I thought I heard that we gave over 400 yards of offense. And their running back rushed for more than a hundred. That doesn't happen much to the Sioux.

Why couldn't we find a way to cover their best reciever? We knew he'd be getting the ball all game.

Big win, but it does seem like we have room for improvement.

He almost ran for 200.

First off, our announcers kept saying that their QB wasn't as good as billed. Maybe he didn't have the best "mechanics", but he sure was completing a lot of passes.

They went to #20 Krause over and over. Then, just when UND started double-covering him, they went to Denny (sp?) and he made big plays. UNO has good receivers and a QB who sure didn't look injured to me. Throw in their fullback and you've got a dangerous offense.

UND was lucky to pull this one off. But then, you could say that about SCSU, SDSU, and the Bison, too! Go Sioux!

I still have no idea how Masek was able to complete as many passes as he did. He was basically shot putting it up there and some of the Sioux db's were either unwilling or unable to look for the ball and make a play. Masek has a very weak throwing arm, was not particularly accurate, and every pass was basically a lob. It was very frustrating to watch because a lot better quarterbacks than him haven't thrown for that many yards against the Sioux defense. It was great to win, but the defense took a big step backward today in my opinion.

I don't mean to sound too negative after a win, but was anyone else as upset as I was when Lennon chose to punt on 4 and inches from the UNO 47 (approximately) with a few minutes left and a seven point lead? The Sioux defense wasn't playing well, and there was always the threat of the blocked punt. Sure enough, UNO did drive for the game-tying touchdown immediately after the punt. I could see putting the game in the hands of the defense if the defense had been playing well, but under the circumstances I would have preferred to let the offense try to convert the first down and hopefully run out the clock. My heart was in my throat on every punt.

I thought DL made the smart decision at the time. It didn't turn out very well unfortunately. I also think that Masek had a very fair game. I believe his completion % was under 50%. His arm appeared to be very weak. I also thought Joe Montana was a weak armed @#^$%&^%*$& but he turned out to have a pretty good career, so what do I know? :D

I don't mean to sound too negative after a win, but was anyone else as upset as I was when Lennon chose to punt on 4 and inches from the UNO 47 (approximately) with a few minutes left and a seven point lead? The Sioux defense wasn't playing well, and there was always the threat of the blocked punt. Sure enough, UNO did drive for the game-tying touchdown immediately after the punt. I could see putting the game in the hands of the defense if the defense had been playing well, but under the circumstances I would have preferred to let the offense try to convert the first down and hopefully run out the clock. My heart was in my throat on every punt.

I was saying the exact same thing as you at the time. You just knew that UND needed another score to win the game and with the way UNO was moving the ball and the amount of time left, 30 yards of field position wasn't going to make that much of a difference.

The other coaching decision that really perplexed me came just before the half. Why did Lennon call a TO on 3rd down when UNO was trying to run the clock? UNO then comes out and throws the deep ball to Krause for the 1st down and they eventually score to tie it up. If UND lets the clock run, UNO would have run the ball again on 3rd and 7, then we could have called TO and gotten the ball back at about the UND 40 with a minute left in the half and 2 TOs.

The other coaching decision that really perplexed me came just before the half. Why did Lennon call a TO on 3rd down when UNO was trying to run the clock?

Yes, I also thought that was a bad decision at the time.

What a game, one thing is for sure, I won't have to visit my cardiologist for another thirty years. If my ticker isn't in bad shape after watching this season, I don't think anything could ever harm it.

I was so pissed when Ahlers fumbled and handed the game to UNO on a silver platter.

This team definitely has the flare for the dramatic.

Yes, I also thought that was a bad decision at the time.

Was that the timeout call when we didn't have the right personnel on the field? If that's it, I don't really have a problem with it...sure, it stops the clock, but better to have the right matchups in there. You study game film all week for a reason.

Was that the timeout call when we didn't have the right personnel on the field?

No, it had nothing to do with that. I believe there were a little over two minutes left in the half when the Sioux called a timeout to stop the clock. They thought they'd get the ball back because UNO was facing a third and seven. Unfortunately, the Mavs converted and went on to score a TD with 14 seconds left in the half.

At the time, I was thinking that we should first stop UNO and then worry about trying to score more points. Calling that timeout assured that they had enough time to drive down the field and score a TD.

Of course, hindsight is 20/20, but I didn't think it was a smart move at the time.

I was at the game, and i thought that the officiating was the worst i have seen all year. Two pass interference calls were absolutely terrible. One of them was definitely an uncatchable ball on a quick slant, and the other was an even worse call on Hoffschneider. The one that they should have called on Hoffschneider, didnt get called in the south endzone towards UNO's sideline. As a former player, it has been evident to me from day one of competeing, to today, watching as a fan, that the officials in the NCC have no idea on how to make calls on pass interference. D-backs are at a huge diasadvantage with the way the refs interpret their calls. I will be the first to admit when there is a legit PI call. The refs really need to trained better to make these calls. I do agree that it is a tough call to make in the first place, but man, it was bad.

All that being said, the defense played horrible, and they really need to pick it up next week. I dont think there will be any motivation issues for the D, because the defensive coaching staff and Lennon, were VERY disappointed with the outing by the D. Players were also upset by their performance. I also have to give credit to Kammrad and Krause. They are PLAYERS. Both of them made huge plays against a good defense throughout the entire game.

We could all question some coaching decisions at any time in any game. Unless you are under the pressure and the gun to make those decisions yourself, during the heat of the battle, you dont really understand how difficult it can be. No coaches are perfect, and even the best can make a mistake occasionally. I think we should all remember that. We have a VERY good coaching staff, that has been together for quite a while. It is very refreshing to see a bunch of guys that actually truly care about UND, and arent just there to use it as a stepping stone to go elsewhere. A good majority of them are either from ND, or played football at UND. We are very lucky to have that.

I am in complete agreement with you Vince, regarding the officiating. Mutcshler(sp) and his crew have no credibility as far as I am concerned. Last year, at Sioux Falls, UND v. Augustana, Mutcshler's crew officiated. In that game Augie had ZERO penalty yards FOR THE GAME. I have never seen that before or since. Also, Murray, the Umpire interferred on three plays. Murray is not mobile enough to handle the Umpire's job. On Masak,s touchdown run, this crew missed a holding call on UNO. I watched it at the game. When I got home and played the game tape, Darrin King made the same observation regarding the Hold. John Leisure's crew appears to me to be the most consistant in the NCC. Duetch's officiating group is also very capable. Timmins, Lindquist, McCallum are all very average at best.

Murray is not mobile enough to handle the Umpire's job.

I noticed that, too. There was a play where Brandon Strouth had a good run from deep in UNO territory. It looked like he might have gone all the way if he didn't have to hesitate for a split second to avoid the umpire. Murray also got run over at some point and they had to delay the game for a minute or two because of it. I didn't see what happened there.

I also thought there was a fairly blatant hold during the play on which UNO picked up the crucial first down just before half time.