SiouxSports.com Forum

Interesting nickname article

octupus25

I agree with the animal or weather...you can't sue if you are an animal or mother nature.

Actually you can as you could then get PETA involved. Not only could they still go after the university name (Dakota is in it which is apparently offensive to some, not likely they'd go this route) but it could be considered to be unethical treatment of animals. As far as mother (why use female gender) nature, well, that could be considered sexist to some. Once down this road, there is no end.

• Upvote 1

Actually you can as you could then get PETA involved. Not only could they still go after the university name (Dakota is in it which is apparently offensive to some, not likely they'd go this route) but it could be considered to be unethical treatment of animals. As far as mother (why use female gender) nature, well, that could be considered sexist to some. Once down this road, there is no end.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with being sexy...

• Upvote 1

Though an example only, I think the suggestion of "Snow Snakes" is just lame enough to actually get some push.

Remember, back in the late 90s, IIRC, the Student Senate tried to clean up our cheers by inventing a club that you could join that promoted good sportsmanship. The name? "Gang Green."

Yeah.

They liked it, had tshirts made, and it lasted one year under that name before it became the "Sioux Crew" but still... lame sells for the unimaginative.

And yeah, I still have the Tshirt. Naively, I thought it just a humorous gaff, not a foretelling of things yet to come.