SiouxSports.com Forum

Preliminary opinion from NCAA on UND/NDSU combining

Bill Kiefer

Hey I might even be swayed if you'd actually save money. I just think that you'll be adding MORE overhead with a bigger organization. It's tough enough to limit that in a private business let alone a tax supported institution.

On the other hand the chamber of commerce types are going to look at attrition and see that there will be less jobs in Fargo/Grand Forks.

I looked at this deal and it's incoherent, there is no reason to do it what so ever.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad I could help you laugh and thank you for calling me a joke and fyi I don't like mushrooms. Now to explain, flagship university is a common word and I found a definition for it if you want to reference my original post. Secondly, UND is still known as the Fighting Sioux...we are allowed to use the nickname this year as it has not been officially retired yet....we are in the process of it. There will be a new nickname, so deal with it.

I normally am fine with you, but next time...please try to read all of the conversation before you butt in.

Sorry.....I didn't mean to give you too much grief.......I tell you what ....... this issue is for sure one that we can all agree isn't going to make any headway. I do have to say that while I disagree completely with Bill's idea of combinin the 2 schools, his intentions are honorable. He does indeed care about ND. Perhaps something good will come out of this discussion such as enhanced transportation within the state. So I support his right to raise the issue........just completely disagree with him. (This is like getting the Hatfields and McCoys to shack up together).... ;)

Sorry.....I didn't mean to give you too much grief.......I tell you what ....... this issue is for sure one that we can all agree isn't going to make any headway. I do have to say that while I disagree completely with Bill's idea of combinin the 2 schools, his intentions are honorable. He does indeed care about ND. Perhaps something good will come out of this discussion such as enhanced transportation within the state. So I support his right to raise the issue........just completely disagree with him. (This is like getting the Hatfields and McCoys to shack up together).... ;)

thank you. and I agree with you that he has the right to raise the issue, but I just don't see how it would ever work.

It's always been known that competition is a good thing in business. You can look at NDSU and UND as businesses despite the fact that they are publicly-owned non-profit organizations.

The spirited and sometimes heated competition between the two schools has, for the most part, has been greatly beneficial for both schools. I'm talking academically here. They may have differences in courses offered and other things, but each seems to be always striving to be better than the other. So, what happens when you get rid of that competition? Sure, you'll probably say "oh, well we can be competitive against other schools in other states", which is true to degree, but that is already the case with each school in itself. Not only does each school compete against each other, they are already competing against other universities around the country.

Other than to make one big institution on paper for the heck of it, what's the point of all this? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

NDSU's leadership has shown that it is rife with corruption. Cut all the overhead at NDSU by eliminating those positions and have that school down south administered from Twamley!!

Without question we do not need two of everything at the administrative level not unlike we don't need two of everything at the D-1 athletic level either. Our rivalries will not only get stronger, but they will multiply in numbers. Not a bad trade for one rivalry that did nothing but divide instead of unite us as a state.

Bring us people to match the mountains

Bring us people to match the plains

People with new ideas as their purpose

And unlimited vision in their brains!!!!!!!