SiouxSports.com Forum

Preliminary opinion from NCAA on UND/NDSU combining

Bill Kiefer

This idea started with just two people. I will let the final totals speak for themselves in a couple of years when this is on the ballot. Even if it goes down to defeat, what is wrong with letting the people decide the fate of two public institutions?

Bill-

Although, I am always in favor of looking at things in a different light than "that's the way it always has been", this is a tough one. Kudos for trying to take it on.

What is your basic timeline for this project? Petitioning? Plan outline? generalities are fine for now.

I have heard something about a bullet train between Fargo and Grand Forks. Is that Accurate? Feasible? I know there are redundancies aplenty to go around between the two schools so if nothing else I hope this project helps with that but wouldn't a project of that scale burn every penny of savings?

Best of Luck to you but Myself, I will need persuading.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill-

Although, I am always in favor of looking at things in a different light than "that's the way it always has been", this is a tough one. Kudos for trying to take it on.

What is your basic timeline for this project? Petitioning? Plan outline? generalities are fine for now.

I have heard something about a bullet train between Fargo and Grand Forks. Is that Accurate? Feasible? I know there are redundancies aplenty to go around between the two schools so if nothing else I hope this project helps with that but wouldn't a project of that scale burn every penny of savings?

Best of Luck to you but Myself, I will need persuading.

Our website www.teamnorthdakota.com is very close to being up and running. When completed it will be a natural forum to discuss and disseminate info. In the final analysis nothing though will take the place of public forums, open debate, and total and complete transparency on the part of TEAM NORTH DAKOTA!

HAIL THE GREAT STATE OF NORTH DAKOTA!!!!!

When I first read this article in the Grand Forks Herald I thought it was a joke. My first question is; what's the point? I am conservative as the next guy but this is outlandish. Do we just shut down one of the two bench mark schools in North Dakota? Yeah OK!

A vote of the people of North Dakota can change this, in fact it's the only way! State Board of Higher Ed would have implementation responsibilities if it passes!

Um, no...a vote of the people of North Dakota can not change the definition of a flagship university.....sorry. And yes, a vote of the people would overrule the SBoHE..but in all actuality how many people in North Dakota actually want this? You have 10 people listed for your group, 9 of whom live in North Dakota. That is not the majority at all and really, if it is going to take money from the schools in their area....I don't see a whole lot of people going for this.

If you are under 18 you can't vote and we have more than 600,000 people living in our State. If you are going to disagree please have some basic facts instead of just emotional reactions from someone who doesn't even use their real identity. :):):)

I'm over 18 so I just evened out your vote.. this is the most worthless thread that has ever been posted here... woohoo Potato Bowl go SIOUX sports!

NDSU is the biggest employer in Fargo, UND is the biggest employer in Grand Forks the second in the state behind the Air Force would you be cutting well needed jobs by merging 2 big employers into 1, so then the unemployment rate in ND (which now is the lowest in the state) would go through the roof. Also this bullet train idea is it going to run when the tracks are underwater from flooding or still be open when there are blizzards. Also I heard they would put a stadium in the middle....right next to the beet plant in Hillsboro? This is as about as stupid as changing the name of the state to just Dakota so people won't think its cold here.

NDSU is the biggest employer in Fargo, UND is the biggest employer in Grand Forks the second in the state behind the Air Force would you be cutting well needed jobs by merging 2 big employers into 1, so then the unemployment rate in ND (which now is the lowest in the state) would go through the roof. .

Actually the Unemployment rate for North Dakota is one the lowest in the country. Closing a university would not really be a great idea.

I'm over 18 so I just evened out your vote.. this is the most worthless thread that has ever been posted here... woohoo Potato Bowl go SIOUX sports!

Hockey would without question not be duplicated anywhere else in the state at the D-1 level and would assuredly stay in the best facilities in the nation and maybe the world, namely REA in Grand Forks ND!

Actually the Unemployment rate for North Dakota is one the lowest in the country. Closing a university would not really be a great idea.

Nowhere has it been said that either university would be closed. Two world class campuses, One flagship university, and potential and possibilities unlimited!

Nowhere has it been said that either university would be closed. Two world class campuses, One flagship university, and potential and possibilities unlimited!

This is nothing more than a fringe, crack pot idea that makes little if any sense.

Um, no...a vote of the people of North Dakota can not change the definition of a flagship university.....sorry. And yes, a vote of the people would overrule the SBoHE..but in all actuality how many people in North Dakota actually want this? You have 10 people listed for your group, 9 of whom live in North Dakota. That is not the majority at all and really, if it is going to take money from the schools in their area....I don't see a whole lot of people going for this.

I am not quite sure what your point is in your first sentence and as to overruling the Board of Higher Education that is not the point. Only through a vote of the people, simple majority meaning one more than half, can this name change come about. It can get on the ballot in two ways: One a petition process whereby 4 per cent of the 2010 census signs petitions to place it on a ballot of which the earliest it could be is 2012 in June(the primary) or in November, the general election, or Two a simple majority vote of the two branches of our legislature which are the house and the senate will put it on the ballot as well. Where has it been said we are taking money from schools in any area and we will have to wait and see how it is viewed over the long haul. I think many people will be very surprised as support for this develops slowly but consistently over time. There will be more announcements of people on our committee. Also you don;t have to be a 100% BELIEVER TO BE ON OUR COMMITTEE, ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS BE WILLING TO ASK "WHAT IS BEST FOR THE GREAT STATE OF NORTH DAKOTA?

I am not quite sure what your point is in your first sentence and as to overruling the Board of Higher Education that is not the point. Only through a vote of the people, simple majority meaning one more than half, can this name change come about. It can get on the ballot in two ways: One a petition process whereby 4 per cent of the 2010 census signs petitions to place it on a ballot of which the earliest it could be is 2012 in June(the primary) or in November, the general election, or Two a simple majority vote of the two branches of our legislature which are the house and the senate will put it on the ballot as well. Where has it been said we are taking money from schools in any area and we will have to wait and see how it is viewed over the long haul. I think many people will be very surprised as support for this develops slowly but consistently over time. There will be more announcements of people on our committee. Also you don;t have to be a 100% BELIEVER TO BE ON OUR COMMITTEE, ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS BE WILLING TO ASK "WHAT IS BEST FOR THE GREAT STATE OF NORTH DAKOTA?

If anything, your group (if this is real) should be putting your energy, passion and resources into shutting down or at least changing the mission of the extraneous 4-year universities in ND. They should close or become 2 year tech schools.

Having both UND and NDSU is only good for the RRV (research corridor) and the state of ND.

This is nothing more than a fringe, crack pot idea that makes little if any sense.

Oak trees begin with just a little acorn! I am glad we live in a country where all of us have the right to free expression. The forward pass will never catch on in football, they will never fill up the second deck of the Ralph, Devils Lake will never fill up again, Bill Clinton didn't inhale, buying Alaska was a huge mistake and it was referred to as Seward's Folly, the colonies will never win their independence, one can mention countless matters where people doubted, said it was impossible or crazy, but yet amazingly things turned out different than they originally thought. WE SHALL SEE!

But usually in a merge things that are duplicated get eliminated. Jobs would definately be cut.

Our recommendation would clearly state that if efficiencies were obvious that no current employees be affected. Changes would be accomplished through attrition, but more importantly we feel this would not be just about efficiencies but a growth engine of proportions that we have not seen since the beginning of our state 121 years ago. Clearly duplication would be eliminated wherever possible because you don't need two of everything. Our glass would be half full not half empty. You can be negative if you want, but that is not going to do any of us much good.

If anything, your group (if this is real) should be putting your energy, passion and resources into shutting down or at least changing the mission of the extraneous 4-year universities in ND. They should close or become 2 year tech schools.

Having both UND and NDSU is only good for the RRV (research corridor) and the state of ND.

Try preaching your idea of closing down schools on a street corner in Dickinson or Wahpeton and see where it gets you, nobody is trying to close anything down just teach efficiency at the highest level.

I like that idea. At least that makes sense combining UND and NDSU doesn't make sense.

Our recommendation would clearly state that if efficiencies were obvious that no current employees be affected. Changes would be accomplished through attrition, but more importantly we feel this would not be just about efficiencies but a growth engine of proportions that we have not seen since the beginning of our state 121 years ago. Clearly duplication would be eliminated wherever possible because you don't need two of everything. Our glass would be half full not half empty. You can be negative if you want, but that is not going to do any of us much good.

You see companies, schools, hospitals etc combine and what happens jobs are lost...its called REALITY!!!!!!!!!!

I think this is a case of magical thinking. This group can imagine that all kinds of great things will come about if a change is made, but what we've found is that the larger the entity the more inefficient it becomes.

What we need actually is for the schools to be MORE competitive with eachother without using the taxpayer as the means to their growth.

Flagship University? LMAO......you are a bigger joke than this issue that started this thread. Man.....you must be eating some damn fine mushrooms.......... :lol: Hell, you don't even have a nickname for your team!

Please look up the definition of attrition as it applies to RIF(reduction in force).

Hey I might even be swayed if you'd actually save money. I just think that you'll be adding MORE overhead with a bigger organization. It's tough enough to limit that in a private business let alone a tax supported institution.

On the other hand the chamber of commerce types are going to look at attrition and see that there will be less jobs in Fargo/Grand Forks.

My point was that you completely ignored the second half of my original post....sorry for an attempt at being sarcastic. And you are still ignoring it, making a new university would not make a new flagship university. But I get that you want to ignore that part, so moving on.

Flagship University? LMAO......you are a bigger joke than this issue that started this thread. Man.....you must be eating some damn fine mushrooms.......... :lol: Hell, you don't even have a nickname for your team!

Glad I could help you laugh and thank you for calling me a joke and fyi I don't like mushrooms. Now to explain, flagship university is a common word and I found a definition for it if you want to reference my original post. Secondly, UND is still known as the Fighting Sioux...we are allowed to use the nickname this year as it has not been officially retired yet....we are in the process of it. There will be a new nickname, so deal with it.

I normally am fine with you, but next time...please try to read all of the conversation before you butt in.