SiouxSports.com Forum

Tailgating

GeauxSioux

Fighting Sioux athletics introduces new student tailgating options

The University of North Dakota athletics department has announced new student tailgating options for all 2010 Fighting Sioux home football games. Students will now be able to park and tailgate for each home game in a specially designated lot.

"Students add so much to the game atmosphere at the Alerus Center that we wanted to make the experience even more convenient and fun this year," UND athletics director Brian Faison said. "With the help of the Alerus Center, we now have a designated tailgating area, special promotions, and entertainment specifically geared towards our students."

387982.jpg?&ATCLID=204985525&SPSID=86452&SPID=6409&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=13500

UND Students receive free tickets to all home football games*. Tickets are available one week before each game**, unless otherwise noted, from the UND Ticket Office at the Memorial Union (Mon. - Fri., 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.), the Chester Fritz Box Office (Mon. - Fri., 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.), or at the UND Box Office at the Ralph Engelstad Arena (Mon. - Fri., 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Sat. 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.). A valid UND student ID must be presented in order to receive a ticket. Students are limited to one free ticket each.

*Limited to the first 2156. After that tickets are $5 for UND Students. Subject to availability.

This part surprised me. I didn't realize there were plans to make any students pay for football tickets. Hopefully there won't be too much of an uproar...

My guess would be that the 2,156 comes from the number of seats in the student sections. If this is the case, once all of the seats are filled in the student section students only have to pay $5 for a regular ticket that we all would pay more for. So they would still be getting a good deal. It just means that students need to be getting their tickets early in the week if they want a free one.

It would be a good sign if the student section is filled up every week and students needed to start getting seats in other sections.

My guess would be that the 2,156 comes from the number of seats in the student sections. If this is the case, once all of the seats are filled in the student section students only have to pay $5 for a regular ticket that we all would pay more for. So they would still be getting a good deal. It just means that students need to be getting their tickets early in the week if they want a free one.

It would be a good sign if the student section is filled up every week and students needed to start getting seats in other sections.

I would guess that you are exactly right. There has been a limit on seats in the student section since they moved into the Alerus, just like there is a limit for students seats at the Ralph and there was in the old Ralph. I don't know if there was at Memorial Stadium because they just let students crowd the student section, and I seem to remember bleachers and standing room in the endzones. But this says that the students will get in at a reduced price even if the entire student section is filled, as long as there are empty seats to sell. That's a good thing for the students (not quite as good for those that would end up having to pay, but still a good deal).

Hopefully there will be an uproar...that would mean 2,156 student tickets are spoken for.

Back in the good ole days of DII I remember having to pay for a student ticket as they were sold out of student tickets.