SiouxSports.com Forum

*NEW* Fighting Sioux Petition

dani_3333

Why give up hope when hope is still very much alive!

"May the logo and the Fighting Sioux name live on forever!" Ralph Engelstad - October 5, 2001

We have decided that it's time to really push this issue. We want to gain the support of all who are in favor of the name and logo. The Fighting Sioux name and logo have created some of us to be who we are. We think that it's very important to fight this issue until the very end. Who are the SBoHE and NCAA anyway? Thinking that they can just step in and make the final call. We will not stand for this. Let the "Sioux" tribes of North Dakota be the final decision makers. Spirit Lake has make there decision and that is to allow the name and logo to stay. Standing Rock Tribal Council is hushing the voices of all those that matter - the enrolled members of the tribe.

We are calling upon the Residence of the State of North Dakota to step forward and Sign this petition not because you want the name and logo to stay but because the civil rights of the members of Standing Rock have been torn away from them. They have the right to have a voice and to have that voice heard.

We will need signatures collected on paper and are seeking residence of communities all over the State of North Dakota to step up to form a committee to gather those signatures. If interested please contact us at fightingsioux@ymail.com

We Thank you all in advance for your continued support on this issue!

Danielle S and Patrick D

"May the logo and the Fighting Sioux name live on forever!" Ralph Engelstad - October 5, 2001

We are calling upon the Residence of the State of North Dakota to step forward and Sign this petition not because you want the name and logo to stay but because the civil rights of the members of Standing Rock have been torn away from them. They have the right to have a voice and to have that voice heard.

Now that is more like it..

Somebody is looking for some justice in America?

nice to see!

Thanks!! I will not give up on this issue until what I feel is right is done. I think that it is very important that the enrolled members of Standing Rock be allowed to vote. I know that not everyone looks on here or facebook so right now Im asking for people to volunteer there time to go out and gather signatures. Just grab a notebook and start gathering signatures. I will ask that you first get ahold of me with the city that you are in so that we have an idea of where we still need to cover when looking for people throughout the state.

All contact can be done through fightingsioux@ymail.com

Either myself or Patrick will reply as soon as possible!

Anything those of us who are alum but now live out of state can do?

We are in the process of finding that out. Still have a few ends to tie on the "legals" of the Petition. Once I find out I will let you all know. Best thing to do would be email fightingsioux@ymail.com so I can track all that are interested and get back to you that way once we find out!

We have decided that it's time to really push this issue. We want to gain the support of all who are in favor of the name and logo. The Fighting Sioux name and logo have created some of us to be who we are. We think that it's very important to fight this issue until the very end. Who are the SBoHE and NCAA anyway? Thinking that they can just step in and make the final call. We will not stand for this. Let the "Sioux" tribes of North Dakota be the final decision makers. Spirit Lake has make there decision and that is to allow the name and logo to stay. Standing Rock Tribal Council is hushing the voices of all those that matter - the enrolled members of the tribe.

We will need signatures collected on paper and are seeking residence of communities all over the State of North Dakota to step up to form a committee to gather those signatures. If interested please contact us at fightingsioux@ymail.com

We Thank you all in advance for your continued support on this issue!

Danielle S and Patrick D

Think you mean "residents".

I'm also an out of state Nodaker. Post more info on what we can do when you find out.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be meeting with Eunice Davidson of Spirit Lake and Archie Fool Bear of Standing Rock on Saturday. Will have more information as soon as we meet. There are many things to be talked about. We are going to put our heads together and see what is going to be the best avenue to take. If anyone has any ideas that might be worth a shot please email your ideas or suggestions to fightingsioux@ymail.com and they will be brought up at the meeting.

I know alot of people have "given up" but by no means is this over yet. Archie is putting out a good fight and we will all continue to fight this one out til the end.

At this point our main concern is getting the people of Standing Rock the chance to vote on this issue.

Thanks for your continued support in this issue.

Danielle

I know alot of people have "given up" but by no means is this over yet. Archie is putting out a good fight and we will all continue to fight this one out til the end.

Danielle

Danielle, according to some on this message board they think the battle is over. Hey it's not over until it's over in my opinion. I am still holding out a glimmer of hope.

I will be meeting with Eunice Davidson of Spirit Lake and Archie Fool Bear of Standing Rock on Saturday. Will have more information as soon as we meet. There are many things to be talked about. We are going to put our heads together and see what is going to be the best avenue to take. If anyone has any ideas that might be worth a shot please email your ideas or suggestions to fightingsioux@ymail.com and they will be brought up at the meeting.

At this point our main concern is getting the people of Standing Rock the chance to vote on this issue.

Thanks for your continued support in this issue.

Danielle

Thanks Danielle for your efforts...it is greatly appreciated.

Thank you guys so much for your support. I know that alot think this is done and over with but it's not. I myself along with the 2 main people Archie and Eunice will continue to look at ALOT of different avenues and hopefully something will jump out at as. Archie is still going strong with what he has going on and I am so grateful for everything him and Eunice have done. Those 2 people have inspired me in so many ways. We will continue to do all that we can to #1 get the enrolled members of Standing Rock the vote they deserve to be heard and to help save the name and logo.

I don't know if you guys are on facebook but I found and posted a quote that is so true:

• 2 months later...

The North Dakota State Board of Higher Education, on behalf of the University of North Dakota, made a legal settlement with the NCAA that said UND would retire the Fighting Sioux nickname unless both the Stand Rock and Spirit Lake reservations agreed to let UND keep the name. The deadline of the settlement is November 30, 2010, meaning that the agreements with the tribes have to be done by that date. Actually, they would have to be done before that because the SBOHE would need to approve the agreements with the tribes. Standing Rock has not shown any indication that they will approve the use of the name. They have 23 days (actually less). The Summit offered an opinion, nothing more. Getting in the Big Sky Conference isn't going to change anything.