SiouxSports.com Forum

Bad Refs

BigDrizzle40

Who is the worse Ref?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the worse Ref?

• Anderson
    • Sheppard

Folks, if you remember my only prediction of Saturday's game: It was that Anderson would get worse. So, I vote for Anderson. That was by far the worst reffing job I've ever seen in my years watching Sioux hockey (1995-96, 1998-2000, 2002-Present).

There were polls out there and, apparently, every conference has a ref or four that is considered poor. Well, it bothers me that these people are defended after they do a real bad job. Is there a learning curve for a new ref? I admit it would be very steep if there was. However, is there accountability for a ref who does a poor job? It doesn't appear to be so.

Frank: Ummmm buddy, Let's set the wayback machine to last season, kay? Let's show Minnesota playing Mankato. Anderson was the ref. 16 penalties in 2 periods. Don't you think something was up with that? Minnesota and Mankato fans were complaining about that. Especially Minnesota, as I believe Mankato won the game.

WOW, I thought the Gophers were the only teams these bozo-types hosed...

I have said it MANY times to MANY people. All I ask of a ref is consistancy. At least if they are consistant, I know if I need to bring a 'roid cushion or not to games... :D

IMO all the college level refs need to get a better job. We need to bring in refs and PAY them to do a decent job. Not this $50 a game crap I think they run now.

As for bad reffing, some may remmember, some may not, some prolly don't care, but Greg Sheppard would only call AGAINST the Gophers, he let linesmen and the "other" ref call against Minn's opponents....now that is bad. All because he didn't want to be called "homer" in his calls...and yes we got hosed every game he ref'd.

Bad ref of note from years past: MEDO!

WPoS

As for bad reffing, some may remmember, some may not, some prolly don't care, but Greg Sheppard would only call AGAINST the Gophers, he let linesmen and the "other" ref call against Minn's opponents....now that is bad. All because he didn't want to be called "homer" in his calls...and yes we got hosed every game he ref'd.

WPoS

Yeah, and God forbid after his mother was murdered he showed up in the Star-Trib wearing a DU t-shirt...what the hell was he thinking...that just proved even more that he hated the Gophers...right...

Is Schmidt no longer in the WCHA? He gets my lifetime achievement award for being the worst ever.

Both Mike Schmitt and Randy Schmidt are both still reffing in the WCHA, I believe. RS did the UND/Duluth game. MS was actually at REA for the UND/BC series. However, I don't know if he was just in town watching good hockey or watching over Todd Anderson.

Personally, I think MS does a pretty good job reffing. I think he, along with Campion, are two of the better refs in the league.

I would much rather see either of those two on the ice than Adam, Sheppard or Todd Anderson.

Campion did a really good job. I would have to say he's the best in the WCHA. Every penalty he called when he did the UW vs UND game, upon replay was indeed a penalty. Maybe he had a good game for those two games, but it seemed to be tha he had good eyes and he made good decisions.

Mike Schmitt, well, He makes the list of good refs because of everyone else is so poor.

Isn't there also Craig Schmidt too? I know there is one by that name who is a hockey ref. He gets his hair cut by my next door neighbor. I also know that he has ties to UND.

As for Greg Shepherd, I reserve comment on his personal reffing abilities because I've never personally watched one of his games to my knowledge. As to his leadership, being the head ref of the WCHA, Iwould have replaced him a long time ago.

Part of management is standing up for the quality of your underlings. That much he does and does vehemently. However, a large part of his job in that position is to ensure that the refs are striving to improve and work themselves into a better and more professional caliber officiating performnce. So far, he's failed in this job. Maybe money has a part in it, but it doesn't have everything to do with it. Paul Kariya took a 2 mil a year pay cut to sign with the Avs. North Dakota schools test higher in standardized tests and ACT/SAT scores on average than all but 4 states in the nation yet boast the 49th best in pay scale for teachers. Money isn't everything.

One note about Campion, if he evolves to be too good of a ref, I'm sure he'll go to the AHL or NHL and leave the conference without a decent ref.

My two cents

Friday's game had to be some of the worst reffing I have ever seen. Anderson was calling the game tight for UND and then let the Eagles do what ever they wanted. I think it is wrong if your going to call a game tight fine but do it both ways. It was almost like Anderson was trying to protect the B.C. Eagles number one ranking making sure of the split...