SiouxSports.com Forum

Lamoureux suspended for 1 game

Stinger_UND

I don't think it's just this. Everyone knows they're doing a crappy job.

Yes, ND has some beefs, but so do a lot of other schools that I don't really care about.

Here's the problem with you and I thinking about McLeod et al doing a crappy job: the league is once again approaching a dominant position in the (admittedly small) world of college hockey. Six (or seven, counting Bemidji) of the top 11 teams in the latest USCHO poll; the Final Five is a huge money-maker; top recruits continue to pour into the WCHA.

I don't think the powers-that-be are coaches: doesn't each member school have a representative on some governing body? IIRC UND's rep isn't even the AD. It isn't people are directly involved in hockey who are in charge of McLeod et al keeping their jobs.

I don't expect to see wholesale changes in the WCHA until it is irreparably broken.

About the way the WCHA is run:

I hear the CCHA is down to 11 teams.

I wonder if they'd be interested in a school that:

- is consistently second in average attendance in the nation

- has a national television deal with Fox College Sports

- has seven banners in the rafters.

We'd probably have fewer dirty hit injuries to defensemen (Bina, LaPoint twice, Genoway).

Here's the problem with you and I thinking about McLeod et al doing a crappy job: the league is once again approaching a dominant position in the (admittedly small) world of college hockey. Six (or seven, counting Bemidji) of the top 11 teams in the latest USCHO poll; the Final Five is a huge money-maker; top recruits continue to pour into the WCHA.

I don't think the powers-that-be are coaches: doesn't each member school have a representative on some governing body? IIRC UND's rep isn't even the AD. It isn't people are directly involved in hockey who are in charge of McLeod et al keeping their jobs.

I don't expect to see wholesale changes in the WCHA until it is irreparably broken.

I advanced my thoughts as a theory.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but on the other hand is anyone happy with the way the league is being officiated. I don't credit the WCHA leadership one iota for the success of UND or the success of any other team.

Even the teams that seem to get more calls going their way seem upset.

Regarding the powers that be, don't you think that even if they have some admin or academic guy casting the votes for the school, they're going to listen to the coach on internal issues?

I advanced my thoughts as a theory.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but on the other hand is anyone happy with the way the league is being officiated. I don't credit the WCHA leadership one iota for the success of UND or the success of any other team.

Even the teams that seem to get more calls going their way seem upset.

Regarding the powers that be, don't you think that even if they have some admin or academic guy casting the votes for the school, they're going to listen to the coach on internal issues?

Absolutely.

I am in complete agreement with you that the league is running a horrible game right now. I spend a lot of money every year to be able to watch excellent players demonstrate their skills. Players who will shortly be taking those skills to a professional level. I can say I saw them play "when they were kids, playing for the love of the game".

The officiating has diminished the level of play, and by extension, my ability to enjoy the games. I am completely fed up with McLeod et al.

But as long as the WCHA is making money and attracting top talent, I just don't expect any executive heads to roll. I wish they would.

Absolutely.

I am in complete agreement with you that the league is running a horrible game right now. I spend a lot of money every year to be able to watch excellent players demonstrate their skills. Players who will shortly be taking those skills to a professional level. I can say I saw them play "when they were kids, playing for the love of the game".

The officiating has diminished the level of play, and by extension, my ability to enjoy the games. I am completely fed up with McLeod et al.

But as long as the WCHA is making money and attracting top talent, I just don't expect any executive heads to roll. I wish they would.

I agree, I go back to the old Barn in the 60's. (Mom and Dad were carrying me in. But I kept finding my way home.) The officiating makes me think that maybe there will be a time when I'll give up on college hockey.

For the record I gave up the NFL for the most part for that reason. I did watch a couple games because my son wanted to watch this year. The only game I watched in full was the vike's last game, which made me remember why I no longer watched the NFL. (Not that I blame the officials for the loss, but they sucked anyway).