SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA 2009-2010 Midseason Report

Dave Berger

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good!

I agree that Denver has a good hold on that 1st place spot.

CC and UND have a brutal remaining schedule. CC has already started to fall, so I wouldn't be surprised if they finish outside of the top 5.

I really hope that UND can pass UW/UMD and finish in 2nd/3rd. Avoiding the play-in game (and having an easier 1st round playoff against MSUM/UAA/MTU) would be ideal.

Looks good!

I agree that Denver has a good hold on that 1st place spot.

CC and UND have a brutal remaining schedule. CC has already started to fall, so I wouldn't be surprised if they finish outside of the top 5.

I really hope that UND can pass UW/UMD and finish in 2nd/3rd. Avoiding the play-in game (and having an easier 1st round playoff against MSUM/UAA/MTU) would be ideal.

WE want no part of UAA, especially if the refs don't call the obstruction like they didn't last weekend.

Using the What-if Calc. I get the end looking like this:

Team GP Pts

UMD 28 40

Denver 28 39

SCSU 28 37

UND 28 36

UW 28 36

CC 28 31

UMN 28 20

Mankato 28 18

AA 28 15

MTech 28 8

*I gave more Sweeps than I ever have in my predictions.

I don't like UND and MN at the Ralph.

if that happens no need to worry as wisc has the tie breaker over us. we would be playing cc.

UND can look no further as to its current situation than the no-show vs. UAA, the DU fiasco and the give-away game at UMD.

A 3rd place finish is a stretch...4th is more reasonable.

I think UND ends with 33 or 34 league points at best.

UND can look no further as to its current situation than the no-show vs. UAA, the DU fiasco and the give-away game at UMD.

that is a potential five to six points just lost right there. I really can't see us getting more than 34 right now.

Obviously we need to play well to move up in the standings.

That said, in reviewing the first half of the season, I'm not scared of anyone ahead of us in the standings.

That's one advantage of playing teams ahead of you in the standings - if we win, we move up.

I wouldn't be surprised if we post a 36+ when it is all said and done.

It seems I have the Sioux finishing 4th as well:

Team GP Pts

Denver 28 40

UMD 28 37

UW 28 35

UND 28 34

CC 28 33

SCSU 28 32

UMN 28 28

Mankato 28 21

AA 28 14

MTech 28 6

I have them sweeping MTU and SCSU (payback for Genoway) and then splitting with UMN, DU, UMD, and CC.

So if they can manage to sweep any of those four series (and not get swept by any as well) they could certainly get more than 34 points and finish higher than 4th.

With their remaining schedules, I think DU is a near-lock for 1st and UMD is a near-lock for 2nd. The 3rd-6th will be very tight though IMO.

Obviously we need to play well to move up in the standings.

That said, in reviewing the first half of the season, I'm not scared of anyone ahead of us in the standings.

That's one advantage of playing teams ahead of you in the standings - if we win, we move up.

I wouldn't be surprised if we post a 36+ when it is all said and done.

I watched the DU-BC game. That 3rd period comeback had me a bit nervous about playing them.

I watched the DU-BC game. That 3rd period comeback had me a bit nervous about playing them.

They needed 7 straight 2nd period PP's in order to beat us last time we played them.

I doubt that they get that the next time we face off with them. :(

That said, they're still the strongest team in the league...at this point.

They needed 7 straight 2nd period PP's in order to beat us last time we played them.

I doubt that they get that the next time we face off with them. :(

That said, they're still the strongest team in the league...at this point.

Also, DU 47 has scored less goals than UND 48. UND has scored more goals than SCSU also 47.

28 38

UND 28 37

UMD 28 35

UW 28 35

CC 28 34

SCSU 28 30

UMN 28 24

Mankato 28 23

AA 28 20

MTech 28 4

I don't think its all that hard.

I have done it a few more times since my original. I still can't make them #1, which is sad because I really love walking by the Mcnaughton when I walk into the games, but your arguments are making me feel better. I just see WIS having two in hand as a Big advantage with their D corp.

I have done it a few more times since my original. I still can't make them #1, which is sad because I really love walking by the Mcnaughton when I walk into the games, but your arguments are making me feel better. I just see WIS having two in hand as a Big advantage with their D corp.

It's not that hard to make them #1:

Team GP Pts

UND 28 42

Denver 28 37

UW 28 36

UMD 28 35

SCSU 28 32

CC 28 31

UMN 28 25

Mankato 28 19

AA 28 15

MTech 28 8

All UND needs to do is sweep out their remaining games and hope for a lot of splits from the other top teams. :(

It's possible! :lol:

I think it's possible with only a few loses and a few sister kissings. UND can do it, they have the team to do it. The coach needs to inspire his folks to make it happen.

I wouldn't necessarily put the AA game in that category. They are tough to play against up there this year. Even the teams that swept them had very tough games. But I can agree with you on the UMD and the DU ref debacle. Win those 2 and its 22 points and the WCHA lead. Even a tie with DU and a UMD win would put us at 21 and one back of first. What a difference a couple of games can make.

Denver 40

UW 37

UMD 36

UND 35

SCSU 34

CC 33

UMN 21

AA 20

Mankato 17

MTech 7

This is what I came up with. I've seen 8 of the 10 teams play so far and the one I think that will fall out of the top 5 will be CC.

I'll see DU and AA soon. Of those 8 I'm most impressed with UW.

I'm hopping for a lot of splits and ties among the other teams from here on out.

Any other prayer warriors out there let's be praying for our wounded.