SiouxSports.com Forum

How cool would it have been...

Big A HG

....if the Sioux nickname issue was resolved on Thanksgiving day and the school and tribes agreed to honor each other by allowing the use of the logo and nickname. The history behind Thanksgiving is widely debated, but it's generally accepted that the pilgrims in Massachusetts were so thankful to have survived their winter that they threw a feast for themselves and their Native American neighbors.

The story would have been epic, and it would give so much more meaning to the holiday than there already is for us with ties to the Sioux tradition. No matter what happens, I'll always be grateful to the fact that I went to the University of North Dakota as a Fighting Sioux, and graduated as such. My blood runs no Sioux blood, but I'll always have respect and honor for the members of their tribes no matter what happens.

Thank you to all the members of the tribes who have come before us, and also the ones who continue to understand the full meaning of a local university who willingly takes their name in love and respect.

thanksgiving1.png

....if the Sioux nickname issue was resolved on Thanksgiving day and the school and tribes agreed to honor each other by allowing the use of the logo and nickname. The history behind Thanksgiving is widely debated, but it's generally accepted that the pilgrims in Massachusetts were so thankful to have survived their winter that they threw a feast for themselves and their Native American neighbors.

The story would have been epic, and it would give so much more meaning to the holiday than there already is for us with ties to the Sioux tradition. No matter what happens, I'll always be grateful to the fact that I went to the University of North Dakota as a Fighting Sioux, and graduated as such. My blood runs no Sioux blood, but I'll always have respect and honor for the members of their tribes no matter what happens.

Thank you to all the members of the tribes who have come before us, and also the ones who continue to understand the full meaning of a local university who willingly takes their name in love and respect.

thanksgiving1.png

Great post!

It would be cool, too, if this were taught. It's history; people need to know how to deal with it.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m113...44/ai_12841383/

Like most things the truth is in the middle, here somewhere in between the story of Squanto showing the pilgrims how to plant corn and James Loewen's "white people are evil" version of history. The suggestion that Europeans purposely used biological warfare to eradicate the Indians is absurd and not supported by any facts. Likewise, the teaching that everything between the first Europeans and the Indians was like the depiction of the first Thanksgiving is equally absurd. History is obviously romanticized by those who write it in their favor. However, to suggest that the exact opposite is the truth is equally myopic.

No one knows for sure how Thanksgiving came to be, but either way, there is a general concept of Thanksgiving, and that being a good one, which is why we celebrate and why I thought it would have been a good idea.

I'm going with the version that Linus gives us as they are about to partake in jelly beans, popcorn, toast, and pretzels around the ping-pong table.

Mending Fences ?

You hear rumors about financial incentives to the two nations

Has there ever been attempts (By us - UND & Fighting Sioux Sports fans) to do something to help the People at Standing Rock or Spirit Lake ?

I was reading minutes from SR's tribal council meetings - you would think some pledges to assist them would possibly make them feel like we really care

I have wondered if they did some how receive some gratuity they would make letting us use the name a higher priority ?

http://www.standingrock.org/index.asp

http://www.standingrock.org/data/upfiles/m...l%20Minutes.pdf

http://www.standingrock.org/history/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.spiritlakenation.com/

Why hasn't this been discussed more ?

Mending Fences ?

You hear rumors about financial incentives to the two nations

Has there ever been attempts (By us - UND & Fighting Sioux Sports fans) to do something to help the People at Standing Rock or Spirit Lake ?

I was reading minutes from SR's tribal council meetings - you would think some pledges to assist them would possibly make them feel like we really care

I have wondered if they did some how receive some gratuity they would make letting us use the name a higher priority ?

http://www.standingrock.org/index.asp

http://www.standingrock.org/data/upfiles/m...l%20Minutes.pdf

http://www.standingrock.org/history/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.spiritlakenation.com/

Why hasn't this been discussed more ?

The message I have seen and heard repeatedly from Native Americans is that the name is not for sale. They don't want money for it. They would be insulted if money was offered. It is a matter of pride. So offering a gratuity would probably do more harm than good. The only way that money could be involved would be as part of a contract with the tribes, and I don't know if they would go for it then. It would have to be structured in such a way that the tribal council wouldn't look like they were selling out.

It probably would have been a good thing if some kind of effort had been started earlier to find ways to really help the tribes directly on the reservations. I would guess that kind of help might be a touchy subject with some factions in the tribes, making it look like white people are telling them what to do or that they can't take care of themselves. Doing something now is going to come off as exactly what it would be, a last ditch effort to try and save the name. It would be hard to prove sincerity at this point and I really doubt that they would accept that help if it wasn't sincere.

I tried to word this carefully

How about royalties ? to use the name & logo ?

Wouldn't it be better than just losing the name ?

Do you think anyone has tried to discuss this ?

I do think it has been suggested. I know that the tribes have been asked what they would like to receive in exchange for the use of the name and they have not answered the question. They haven't wanted to even discuss it. Like I said, there is a segment of the Native American population that sees the exchange of money for the name as wrong, no matter how it is titled or structured. I think that the segment of the Dakota tribes that feels that way is much larger than for the Seminoles. Remember, the Sioux people still refuse the money offered for the Black Hills because it is a sacred or spiritual place. Money and possessions are not as important in the NA world as they are for many of us.

Just because you haven't seen it talked about in public doesn't mean that it hasn't been discussed. The people making decisions for the tribes have been making the decisions on this issue for reasons other than money. No amount of money is going to persuade them to "sell out", which is how they would see it. And money probably wouldn't be the deciding factor for the regular tribe members either. But getting the decision made by the regular tribe members would be the best result for UND. Finding a way for the tribes to benefit could help, but it can't look like they are being bought off.

I can't find it on the "internets", but my recollections say that Chrysler Corporation *paid* a tribe for the rights to use the name "Dakota" on a Dodge truck.

They sold the name they call themselves in their language to a corporation to market a truck.

That's more interesting than selling a word of French/Ojibwe etymology.

I can't find it on the "internets", but my recollections say that Chrysler Corporation *paid* a tribe for the rights to use the name "Dakota" on a Dodge truck.

They sold the name they call themselves in their language to a corporation to market a truck.

That's more interesting than selling a word of French/Ojibwe etymology.

It would be interesting to find evidence of that. I don't remember any reports of Chrysler paying for usage of the name, I must have missed that.