SiouxSports.com Forum

Tailgating

Fighting Sioux Hockey

I think they tried this during the Denver playoff series last March. If memory serves, it went something like this: one guy in the parking lot with the hibachi fired up, and about seven people milling around a beer tent by the east entrance. Hey, where else can you pick up a 12 oz bottle of Coors Light for five dollars? :)

well, nice to know you guys are trying to copy the Gopher POI crew! :D

If you need any hints about the "man" and how to avoid things...may have a few hints! :)

WPoS

We try to do everything the POI crew does.

You guys are the best at everything.

Let me get down and bow to the all mighty gopher fans.................NOT

I heard now that the students have season tickets there was going to be tailgating going on at Engelstad. I wondered if anybody else has heard about this or whats going on.

I believe UND is organizing a tailgating event outside REA immediately following the NDSU football game and leading up to Saturday BC hockey game, but I don't have any details.

CRR...a bit touchy this morning? Geeze!

redwing...I agree it took two years and lots of stamina to get our group doing the tailgate thing for the Gophers...not as cold down here as for you guys, but I have faith in you! And with assigned seatign it helps with tailgatign because you don't have to rush to get good seats...mabe a bright side for your crew in that?

WPoS

WPoS,

It does make it easier to tailgate, yes. However, I always atributed tailgating to brats, burgers, chicken on the grill and beer. We can have the grill stuff, just not so sure about the beer. Personally, I don't drink. Medical reasons (like I don't like missing the hockey game because I have to go to the ER). However, I've never seen a sober tailgating event that was really "hopping." That doesn't mean it can't happen.

I'd love to do something and the best time to try it is when the Gophers are in town, actually. Despite the fact it will be cold in November. But I will be in Chicago during that series. :D:)

Maybe some of the other folks can think of something. Or does it have to be run by the REA?

redwing,

the biggest trick is this: don't tailgate on campus property. Having never been to GF, I have no real idea how stuff is set up, but down here we have a little spot that we tailgate at, that the die-hard POI-ers and good natured visting fans know about. It is close enuf to walk to Mecca and *poof* you have Gopher tailgating for hockey. We grill out, play BeerDarts (of course), street hockey and socialize. So mayhap some of that is of help in your quest up there for a new tailgating tradition (hint: we started to tailgate 2 years ago, and look what happened! :) ). Even down here we've been out in the COLD, two seasons ago, it was 30mph winds, snow and 10 degrees and we still did it! If only for an hour. It never hurts to try!

WPoS

WPoS...

REA is located directly north of campus. directly north of REA is Highway 2. Columbia Ave. is to the east. We could try the dirt lot next to the frat (I think it's DU) by the student entrance, but that's the only place I can think of.

Tailgating would be fun. I would like to see it happen this year. Nothin like throwing back 1 or 2 or 9 beers then watching the Sioux sweep whoever. :)

THere is a lot of open space, fields just north of the REA, coincidentally, it's now land owned by UND so that's no dice. The park adjacent to the REA is owned by UND or the City of GF (which would mean you'd have to get a permit), and all the lots are owned by UND so that's no dice. As for the frat, I believe they have to be dry too. In theory anyways.

What we need is a hockey house across the street on Columbia. :)

There's probably room at the Westward Ho!

Very few of the buildings are left, and the few that remain are being leveled. Could pitch a tent and tailgate there though. There is a new motel there, although don't remember the name (saw it last weekend, just east of the old WH).

And, Happy Harry's isn't Happy Harry's, and the Frenchy's building is totally gone. I was mostly lost, as you can tell.

Very few of the buildings are left, and the few that remain are being leveled. Could pitch and tent a tailgate there though. There is a new motel there, although don't remember the name (saw it last weekend, just east of the old WH).

And, Happy Harry's isn't Happy Harry's, and the Frenchy's building is totally gone. I was mostly lost, as you can tell.

I meant they could tailgate in the expanse that was the parking lot at the Ho.

Wow. New hotel at the Ho. The times they are a-changin'.

Relax sprig, in through the nose, out through the mouth.

Happy Harry's moved to the NE corner of the intersection of US2 (Gateway Drive) and Columbia Road. It's closer now. :)

Relax sprig, in through the nose, out through the mouth.

Happy Harry's moved to the NE corner of the intersection of US2 (Gateway Drive) and Columbia Road. It's closer now. :0

Actually, I saw that one and one down south half way to Fargo, well beyond where the city once ended :D

Don't spose you could locate the new Frenchy's for me?