SiouxSports.com Forum

Speech on Sioux

~SiouxHockeyLover~

Ok, I am doing a speech in school about the Sioux nickname and how I think that it shouldn't be changed. I know I should have put this thread on the Sioux Nickname part but I figured since there are more people who put posts in this section, I could get more info. So I just want to know what your thoughts on the subject are. Ya know, if ya love or if ya hate it. I happen to love it because it has a lot of meaning UND and there athletic programs. I figure, if we've had this logo and nickame for this many years, it shouldn't become a problem now and everyone who doesn't like it should just quit complaining and learn to deal with it. I know that's a little harsh but that is how I feel. Ok, feel free to post your opinion! If you have any links to any good websites that would be awesome too!

You might also try USCHO's archives. I vaguely recall that there were a number of links, etc. that gave a good history of the name's origin, meanings, and related info.

If possible, you might also try contacting Erik Enno and some other Indians who favor the name.

Your prof isn't "Cryin' Jim" McKenzie by any chance? :)

My opinion is that the nickname should stay. Although, you say that it should be an issue that those who are against it should deal with it, but as I see it, what is there to deal with? The University is HONORING the Sioux nation of Native Americans because they are a very strong people. The University isn't using the nickname to try and make fun of them or put them down.

My question is who are these people that are against it? Is it mostly Native Americans or is it these liberal white folks that don't understand what they are opposed to?

The University, along with other universities and professional athletic teams, is HONORING Native Americans. That should be the end of the argument, but it will never be as long as there are people who don't know what they are arguing about.

I would agree with Marty. Now if it WAS a racial slur like the Washington Redskins, then there may be a problem...but I have no problem with Sioux or Fighting Sioux. Mascots are powerful symbols meant to inspire solidarity and a fighting spirit. I doubt the Boilermakers are getting a big uproar from those tradesmen Purdue has chosen as their schools symbol. I think the whole issue of the name change is ridiculous. It's probably just the ultra-left PC crowd making all the fuss, and I just tend to tune them out anyway.

Find a copy of Sports Illustrated from March 4, 2002. There's a story with real scientific polling data (Peter Harris Research Group) of the American Indian population.

A sample:

Asked if high school and college teams should stop using Indian nicknames, 81% of Native American respondents said no.

I've talked to people with Native American backrounds, and they have said there are very few Native Americans that don't like the Sioux name. There are just a few that made a big deal about it. Like Marty said - We are honoring the native Americans. We don't have a bad name like the Redskins. I'd rather have our mascot be an acual thing from the history of the U.S. This was their native land - why not use there name as our mascot?

The Native American's are something to be proud of. They have tradition that the University exposes to the kids that go to the University. I mean - I'd rather be something with a tradition behind it - rather than a mascot someone just picked up off the top of their head - something that has no tradition behind it. Do we really need to waste the time arguing about it when there are bigger problems to be solved? Why waste the money taking it to court or however they would change it if they ever did?

And if those Native American's don't want the University to be the Fighting Sioux - then what do they want it to be? :D

I don't think that people, Native American or not, that have a problem with the Sioux name think UND misuses the name. Obviously the athletes, faculty, and students try to honor the Sioux name and show respect for a tradition and the fact that this land was theirs at one time.

People who find the name offensive usually take offense to the way that rivals, such as NDSU or more recently Mesa State use the name in a deragatory, offensive fashion. (Example: The Mesa State student paper had a headline that refered to their football team "scalping" the Sioux football team. Other examples are classless shirts worn by NDSU fans at football games.)

While UND and its students are not to blame for these incidents people who find the name offensive see changing the Sioux name as the only, or possibly best solution, to preventing other people from using the Sioux name in a derrogatory, offensive fashion.

Another possible reason that people may find the name "Sioux" offensive is that it is the name the French gave to the Lakota people. From what I have read Sioux means "enemy or snake" and Lakota means "people or friendly people". Obviously most Lakota have adopted the Sioux name, but still you can see why some Native American might be offended by the team being named the Sioux.

This has been my experience. Take it how you want. I think the name honors Native Americans, although I have become more open to changing it since I have spoken with a Native American friend of mine.

I also think that UND could do more to honor people of the Sioux Tribes. For instance I think it would be nice to hang banners representing the different tribes within the Sioux Nation in the REA. Another way to furhter honor the Sioux would be to stop naming builings after old white guys and start naming the buildings after famous figures within the Sioux (have tribes select important Sioux figures that they feel should be honored and remembered). I realize that you have to work with laws against naming buildings after people, but it could be done without too much hassle. Norte Dame is the Fighting Irish, they honor the Irish heritage by naming builings on the campus after historical Irish people, it seems like this would be a good way of honoring the Sioux and their rich heritage.

It is too late to do it for your speech, but I would highly reccommend taknig an Intro to Indian Studies course while you are at UND...I'm taking it in the spring so I can learn more about the people we are honoring with the Sioux name. Besides I think its good to examine thing from more than one angle.

Well that's more than my two cents, but I'm done. Maybe I just wasted time because I like to give my opinion about somewhat controversal issues, but hopefully I helped you see thing from yet another angle.

The nickname of the school is the Fighting Sioux!!! That is honoring them!!!

Mr tboneund has some very good points. BUT, hanging banners in OUR arenas isn't going to stop other students from other universities using the name in senseless means. Naming buildings after rich white folks is what universities do. A person gives you enough money to build a building the least you can do is name it after the person.

To give your school the nickname of the Sioux is one thing, but when you have some of the best athletic teams in the country to back up the name it means so much more. The Sioux name is known nationally because of the unbelievable success of the athletic teams at UND. e.g. hockey, football, basketball, and many more.