SiouxSports.com Forum

Wilson vs. Bowenkamp

CoteauRinkRat

I tuned in during the 2nd for the first time and Bowenkamp is playing QB. Anyone know if he started, or is everyone at the hockey game? :D

UPDATE -- They just mentioned that Wilson pulled a hamstring on a QB draw and will be out the remainder of the game.

Was driving home listening; now watching hockey. Wilson was 5/5 on the first drive and ran for 1st down yardage to inside the 5, got hammered, hurt, and fumbled it to SDSU, who went 98 yards in about 4 plays, concluded with a 61 yd TD pass, was 7-0 when I got home. What's up now?

Was driving home listening; now watching hockey. Wilson was 5/5 on the first drive and ran for 1st down yardage to inside the 5, got hammered, hurt, and fumbled it to SDSU, who went 98 yards in about 4 plays, concluded with a 61 yd TD pass, was 7-0 when I got home. What's up now?

Sigh. We were down 0-14 on the 1 yd line near the end of the 2nd, failed to put it in, took the field goal. The Sioux defense then pulled a Gopher and let SDSU march it back downfield in the last seconds of the 2nd for a half-time score of 3-21.

According to the announcers, the Sioux are actually getting yards and moving the ball alright, just drawing stupid penalties, the turnover, and not finishing it off. It's time to see that amazing 2nd half Sioux D again if we want to have a prayer; fortunately we have been moving the ball so if we can start scoring, there's a chance. SDSU seems noticeably better at moving the ball than SCSU did, so it's going to be a lot tougher to pull out a comeback this week.

Bowenkamp will start vs. NDSU.

comments?

Under the circumstances, it's probably not a surprise to many people. I feel bad for Wilson since he waited so long to get his chance, then gets hurt on the first possession of the first game he starts. That may have been his one window of opportunity to play. Bowenkamp runs hot and cold so he might do great or he might play like Graig Gorder did in the 2001 Sioux-Bison game. ;)

Nah, I think they'll try one down field pass, then run for a loss... Then throw 30 straight screen passes (when they are not punting).

Ok, so screen passes helped them win the NC that one year, but this is 2 years post NC, no? Look at the Rams 2 years post Super Bowl. Are they still unstoppable? A strategy that worked one year might work the next but eventually they are going to figure out how to play us and then we'll lose.

I am not going to predict the score for this game. Last year I tried and I failed miserably. I just hope we start going down the field. It matters little who our QB is provided he can do that.

I too have been critical of Bowenkamp, and certainly he hasn't been consistent considering his performance in most of the Augie game and in the first half of the St. Cloud game. But if we're going to be critical of him when he plays poorly, we really should give him some credit when he plays well. He completed 23 of 37 passes against SDSU for 284 yards with two touchdowns and no int's. That's pretty good. Let's also remember that he's not the one calling all those screen passes.

I'm not offering these numbers in an attempt to denigrate Tony Stauss, but rather to show how Bowenkamp has compared to the far more highly-touted Stauss thus far:

Overall

JB 61% completion percentage, 9 touchdowns, 2 int's

TS 67% completion percentage, 2 touchdowns, 3 int's

NCC only

JB 57.5% completion percentage, 3 touchdowns, 1 int

TS 61.5% completion percentage, 1 touchdown, 2 int's

I really think that if Mussman would open up the playcalling in the first half, similiar to what was being run in the second halves against St. Cloud and SDSU, the running game would actually be far more effective. Look at St. Cloud as an example. Yes, Birkel is a good back, but they were able to run pretty well against the outstanding run defense of UND in the second quarter with their backup running back, in large part due to the threat of the downfield pass. It's a case of the pass setting up the run instead of vice versa.

Let's not be too quick to jump on the Wilson bandwagon fellas...With Bowenkamp's experience on the road and playing against a team this week in which he absolutely torched last year, he is the man under center. Wilson played a great game and I congratulate him on that. But you have to stick with what is working and not experiment this late in the season. If Bow falters again, then we have a controversy, but until then, he is very competent of getting the job done.

With Bowenkamp's experience on the road and playing against a team this week in which he absolutely torched last year, he is the man under center.

While I hate to sound "down" on John B, 164 passing yards and a 12-6 win isn't exactly a "torching", in my opinion.

Albeit, I'll be cheering for whoever's in... GO SIOUX! BEAT THE BUCKING FISON!