SiouxSports.com Forum

Southern Utah

bincitysioux

Southern Utah 2-4 overall and 0-1 in the GWC. They are a much improved team from years past including last year when they beat North Dakota in the Alerus 15-14. This year they have wins against DII Dixie St. and then Top 25 ranked Texas St. They lost this past weekend to #19 Cal Poly in SLO. Their other losses were to Northern Arizona and FBS school San Diego St. and Utah St.

The Sioux again appear to be statistically outmatched in several areas against the T-Birds:

-SUU has the #1 scoring offense in the conference, UND has the worst scoring defense

-SUU is 2nd in the league in total offense (398.5), while UND is last in total defense (449)

-SUU is next to last in total defense (412), but UND is dead last in the GWC in total offense (316)

-SUU has the worst rush defense in the league giving up 190 yards per game

-The Sioux are 2nd in the conference in interceptions, and SUU has thrown the most INT's in the league

-Neither the T-Birds nor the Sioux have much of a pass rush........just 3 sacks for each team on the season.

-The SUU O-Line has given up a league worst 17 sacks

-SUU's O-Line averages 298 lbs. By comparison, Stony Brook's weighed 296 and USF's averaged 292. Ours is around 285.

The forecast for Cedar City on Saturday calls for lots of sun and 70 degrees and winds under 10 mph.

Who Has The Advantage?

Offense: Southern Utah--Dangerous passing game, effective running game. Can become one dimensional though.

Defense: Southern Utah--Good against the pass & in the red zone, forces alot of fumbles, but vulnerable to the run.

Special Teams: Push--Both teams have excellent kickers and quality return men

I like the match-up. Neither team plays particularly good defense. SUU will be tough to stop on offense, but UND has shown the ability to move the ball as well. Their run defense is pourous. If Sutton is healthy, this is the type of game that the UND O-line could gain some confidence in again. We rolled up 190 yards against South Dakota and they have the best run defense in the league. I think it will be a close game that UND will have a chance to win. We are not going to over power their defense and we are not going to shut down their offense, but if UND gets back to doing what it did against Texas Tech, Northwestern St, USD, and Stony Brook, which is take care of the ball, force a turnover, have a good kick return or two, and eliminate penalties, UND will be in a position to win the game at the end. They didn't do any of those things last week. It should be close, rather high scoring game.

33 Southern Utah

31 North Dakota

I think USF is better than SUU. If Sutton is healthy, the Sioux win a close one. Without Sutton, the Sioux lose.

I agree and with a healthy Sutton against USF it's a different game. Not saying the Sioux would have won but I'm kinda thinking so.

If the injured players are close to 100% we can play with SUU. Or is this team on a downward spiral. Hope not.

Sioux 27 SUU 24

I am not a huge football mind, but man, I'm not sure if Sutton was healthy it would have mattered, our O line can't do much. Our D line hasn't done squat all year, only 2 sacks! Football minds: why doesn't our team blitz more? The opposing QB's have had so much time back there, why not blitz more and force the QB to make a play downfield?

Until they show us otherwise, my confidence level surrounding my favorite football team is at an alltime low right now. I was young in the 1980's when the Bison handed to us with their roided up teams, but the loss to Sioux Falls has to compare to those days.

PROVE ME WRONG SIOUX! Beat SUU!

I need a rules clarification.. On a kickoff when the ball goes out of bounds, what yard line does the next drive start? Are High School, College and the Pros all the same?

The receiving team can either take the ball at the 40 yard line or have the kicking team kick again with a five yard penalty.

Big test to show us how our program responds to adversity. Players need to regain intensity. Coaches need to give the players an offensive and defensive scheme that puts them in a position to compete. Frankly, our line play is a problem on both sides of the ball. On offense, they don't seem to be able to open holes or move anyone for periods at a time. It seems like we go through streaks where we try to establish the run, only to continually put ourselves in a 2nd and 9 or 3rd and 8 situation. I would like to see more of a playcalling mix on first down. Continually putting Landry in a 3rd and long doesn't help him. He has had a pretty good season (with the exception of last week). Strangely, he seems to throw better off the run than in a strait drop-back. He can miss badly at times. Give him a chance to throw when they are not expecting it. Who we have at running back also matters. We need to try keep our opponents off balance more. Bamba can be a huge factor, or he can lose focus if he isn't kept busy.

On defense, our line play has been horrible except for a couple of outstanding goalline stands. We need to find a way to pressure the quarterback or we will give up our usual 10-15 yards a play again. Our corners and d-backs seem to play well, but they can't make up for a lack of rush and poor coverage from linebackers. Again, we need to find a scheme that keeps our opponents off balance and makes use of our talent. Changes need to be made on defense.

Overall, I think we are close in talent - the game will come down to intensity and coaching. We need to win this game to right the ship and get rid of that sour taste in our mouths. We play a good game and hopefully players and fans can move on. If not, it may be the start of a long downhill spiral.

Regarding the play of the defensive line, I have to think the erratic play has in large part been due to injuries. We know Boyle is a very good player. Bellmore has also shown some very good things. But both have struggled with injuries this year. I think Benjamin is going to be really good in time, too. The problem is that all three are probably best suited to play nose guard. Bellmore has also played some end this year, probably as a result of trying to get the best talent on the field at the same time. Brenneman will probably also be good at end in time, but like Benjamin he's just a redshirt freshman. If everybody were healthy, I'd kind of like to see a line of Benjamin at the nose, with Bellmore and Boyle at end. It seems like Boyle is athletic enough to be able to play either position. Ultimately, we need to hope that in the future at least one and hopefully more than one out of Brenneman, and red-shirts Stanchik, Lundeen and Cole can develop into an effective pass rusher from the end position(s). We may also see at least one juco transfer defensive end added before next season, particularly if some of the younger players aren't quite physically ready yet.

Regarding the play of the defensive line, I have to think the erratic play has in large part been due to injuries. We know Boyle is a very good player. Bellmore has also shown some very good things. But both have struggled with injuries this year. I think Benjamin is going to be really good in time, too. The problem is that all three are probably best suited to play nose guard. Bellmore has also played some end this year, probably as a result of trying to get the best talent on the field at the same time. Brenneman will probably also be good at end in time, but like Benjamin he's just a redshirt freshman. If everybody were healthy, I'd kind of like to see a line of Benjamin at the nose, with Bellmore and Boyle at end. It seems like Boyle is athletic enough to be able to play either position. Ultimately, we need to hope that in the future at least one and hopefully more than one out of Brenneman, and red-shirts Stanchik, Lundeen and Cole can develop into an effective pass rusher from the end position(s). We may also see at least one juco transfer defensive end added before next season, particularly if some of the younger players aren't quite physically ready yet.

My criticism of the defensive line wasn't directed at anyone in particular. I know injuries have been a factor. In addition, at times our outside linebackers play like defensive ends. My point was that you can't play at this level (and after playing Sioux Falls apparently at any level) and let the quarterback stand back and pick you apart without applying any pressure. We don't seem to have the physical size and quickness to beat anyone on the pass rush. This is a huge area of concern as evidenced by our whopping 2 sacks this year. I remember past Sioux defenses who had 2 sacks in the first series. I find this type of game especially frustrating to watch - you can see trouble comming, but can't do a thing about it. This area needs to be one of the top priorities for next year. Maybe a year of health and experience will help.

My criticism of the defensive line wasn't directed at anyone in particular. I know injuries have been a factor. In addition, at times our outside linebackers play like defensive ends. My point was that you can't play at this level (and after playing Sioux Falls apparently at any level) and let the quarterback stand back and pick you apart without applying any pressure. We don't seem to have the physical size and quickness to beat anyone on the pass rush. This is a huge area of concern as evidenced by our whopping 2 sacks this year. I remember past Sioux defenses who had 2 sacks in the first series. I find this type of game especially frustrating to watch - you can see trouble comming, but can't do a thing about it. This area needs to be one of the top priorities for next year. Maybe a year of health and experience will help.

I definitely agree that our complete lack of a pass rush has been very frustrating, and is probably the biggest reason our defense has mostly struggled. My own personal opinion is that the defensive line, at least when healthy, is probably less of a problem than the linebacking corps.

Just FYI, I am a google fan. I have been researching some of the players. I googled Brock Lundeen and found many newspaper articles and stories about his ability on the field. You should take a look. He has a history of being a strong pass rusher. I look forward to seeing what this kid can do on the field for UND. The loss of Boyle has been evident and I will be glad to see him back on the field.

Been thinking about how to predict this game all week.

I think that unlike last week, the boys will be focused and will play hard, but SUU has shown some explosiveness offensively this year. Not a good match up with how banged up the Sioux defense is. I think I feel more comfortable with UND's chances against either of the two Cali schools because it has been easier for opponents to keep them off the scoreboard.

Mussman indicated earlier this week that one of the things the coaching staff is focusing on going into the game is being more creative at getting the ball into the playmakers' hands. I understand that the SUU defense is a bit unorthodox and likes to run a lot of man coverage, so maybe the offensive coaches can get a match up they like with Bamba and find a way to make a couple of big plays? Just something I picked up that may be worth keeping an eye on.

That said, this could be a huge win that rights the ship for UND if they can pull it off, but I have to be honest and go with my gut: SUU 27-21.

I'm in agreement with you about the defensive line. There is some young talent there that is only going to get better with time. Just think about having the line anchored by Benjamin and Brenneman as seniors in 2012 when UND is playoff eligible. Give those two guys three more years to develop and both have the talent to be forces at the FCS level, IMO.

I am really concerned about what is going on at linebacker though. The guys getting the bulk of the playing time now are mostly juniors and seniors and some of them have been getting playing time for several years now. The lack of development in some of these guys is alarming, IMO. It goes without saying that UND needs to get much more athletic and much more physical at the LB position to compete in D-I. Even if the freshmen that are currently redshirting turn out to be stars, I think the coaching staff needs to beat the bushes to find a couple of transfers at LB this offseason to come in and be immediate factors or the defense will be down again next season.

I know it's always going to vary, but sometimes the young guys can contribute right away. We (Tech) are starting a true freshman at offensive LT tomorrow who has been red-shirted all season (our starter, a sophomore, went down with a knee injury). And we have quite a few underclassman starting on both sides of the ball. It just depends on the quality of recruits you're getting, I guess. Our recruiting quality has really shot up the last couple of years. It's a wonder what some TV exposure can do for recruiting. Hmmmm, didn't the Sioux just get a great TV deal? You may find that's worth more than just a convenience for the fans. :);)

There are two schools of thought about getting new players - high school kids or JUCO transfers that have a little experience. Tech went through a period in the 90's where the coaches tried to rely on JUCO guys, but it didn't really work out. They had some advantages over freshmen, but they seemed to peak out earlier. I don't claim to know all about it, but we haven't tried that in at least 10 years.

Good luck tomorrow, Sioux. I'm going to Lubbock to see Tech play so won't be able to watch/listen in to your game.