SiouxSports.com Forum

USF at UND

The Sicatoka

University of Sioux Falls is the defending NAIA national champion and is on a 20 game winning streak.

They are a good team. UND is their "Texas Tech". They will bring their best game (just like UND took theirs to Lubbock).

Massey says USF (223) is not that different from South Dakota (177) and Stony Brook (204).

Massey says USF (223) is better than Northwestern State (243)!

Stony Brook and Northwestern State helped us beat them through their missteps.

Don't expect that help from USF: Teams on 20 game winning streaks don't give games away.

Don't underestimate USF in this game because they're looking to make a name for themselves.

350 tickets sold, another 100 ordered. This team will have close to 500 in our building. THAT is impressive.

Impressive for a team that has averaged 3,000 fans over three home games.

No doubt they will bring their "A" game. The wins are impressive statistically, minus the fact that they've played a bunch of nobodies. (though I'm sure Northern Iowa fans said the same things about us in 2006) IF we can get some people to show up and pack the house, I think that crowd noise could be a factor.

Additionally, through 6 games they have 13 fumbles. (though only four lost) I expect that the team has been hearing about that stat this week and will look to cause some turnovers. I mean if a team averages over two fumbles a game against lackluster opponents, we can certainly hope for that trend to continue this Saturday if not increase.

More facts about USF:

They are ranked #1 in NAIA

They have applied for NCAA Division II status

20 wins in a row

2 of the last 3 NAIA Titles

Have outscored opponents 347-33 so far this year

Have under 2000 students

There is a real good chance they will have more fans that we have students at the Al this saturday. :(

More facts about USF:

They are ranked #1 in NAIA

They have applied for NCAA Division II status

20 wins in a row

2 of the last 3 NAIA Titles

Have outscored opponents 347-33 so far this year

Have under 2000 students

There is a real good chance they will have more fans that we have students at the Al this saturday. :(

I was gonna say I wouldnt expect to many students at this game.

One of the things casual fans may not understand about the NAIA is that while schools are limited to 24 scholarships in football, that number only applies to athletes that see varsity competition. So in other words, USF almost certainly has many more scholarship players being redshirted this year that are receiving money that does not apply to that total of 24. So while the school fights the "NAIA stigma" while recruiting, it is certainly offset by the money they can give out.

The University of Mary had to cut scholarship money in football when it moved to the NSIC/D-II and subsequently the Marauders' level of play has not really improved since making the move. This leaves the impression that former NAIA schools have low caliber programs but in reality it is a case of not having as much money to work with after they make the jump. I suspect that this will probably be the pinnacle year for USF football as they will have a hard time maintaining their current level when they join D-II in a couple of years.

Also, when you look at USF's schedule, they have beaten up so far on the weakest teams in their league (except for Hastings who is 5-2). They have yet to play the 2-3-4 teams in their league, including Morningside, who may be just as good as USF this year.

One of the things casual fans may not understand about the NAIA is that while schools are limited to 24 scholarships in football, that number only applies to athletes that see varsity competition. So in other words, USF almost certainly has many more scholarship players being redshirted this year that are receiving money that does not apply to that total of 24. So while the school fights the "NAIA stigma" while recruiting, it is certainly offset by the money they can give out.

The University of Mary had to cut scholarship money in football when it moved to the NSIC/D-II and subsequently the Marauders' level of play has not really improved since making the move. This leaves the impression that former NAIA schools have low caliber programs but in reality it is a case of not having as much money to work with after they make the jump. I suspect that this will probably be the pinnacle year for USF football as they will have a hard time maintaining their current level when they join D-II in a couple of years.

Also, when you look at USF's schedule, they have beaten up so far on the weakest teams in their league (except for Hastings who is 5-2). They have yet to play the 2-3-4 teams in their league, including Morningside, who may be just as good as USF this year.

Is Morningside better now than they were as an NCC program?

Where do you think Sioux Falls would finish if they were in the Northern Sun this year?

I really think the Athletic Department needs to offer some sort of deal on tickets for this game. How about Buy one, get one free? $5 seats? SOMETHING that will get butts in the stands. How about show your friday sioux hockey ticket, get into game free?

I think something needs to be done to, I mean I'll be at the game but not everyone is a fan who'll go watch no matter who we're playing.

Is Morningside better now than they were as an NCC program?

Where do you think Sioux Falls would finish if they were in the Northern Sun this year?

Morningside was a bottom feeder in the NCC and quickly jumped to national prominence in NAIA. USF would finish middle of the pack in the NSIC. They have played nobody this year and usually haven't the last couple years unless they play Morningside or a national semifinal type game. Morningside should have beat USF last year but screwed up. USF, for all the chest thumping is not at this level. Send those 500 fans packing home in their proper place.

You guys can talk up this game all you want to generate some interest but if the Sioux don't beat the Cougs by at least 30 I will be shocked and a bit disappointed.

You guys can talk up this game all you want to generate some interest but if the Sioux don't beat the Cougs by at least 30 I will be shocked and a bit disappointed.

That's what you call a no-win situation and why these type of games should be avoided if at all possible.

I am concerned about this game not because I'm trying to generate interest, but because UND has more holes and deficiencies this year than it has in a long time. Combine that with the fact that I know nothing about Sioux Falls except that they basically win every game they play, and it's logical to think this is going to be a tough game.

You folks scare there for a second. When I saw USF & I will be the first to admitted this, the first thing that came to my mind was the school that's right down the street from me. The University of South Florida (that USF). Forgive me for getting this confess that happens sometimes. In closing GO SIOUX & GO GATORS.

SIOUX HOCKEY FAN SINCE 1973.

I'm from Sioux Falls. The mediea there over-hype this team. It's disgusting. I hope the Sioux crush them for nothing other than to put USF in its place. They are the best of the lousiest.

Kind of like Winona State in the NSIC? :lol: Remember all of the times that we used to crush them in the 1st round of the playoffs? :(

That's one thing we don't have to worry about down here - hockey games drawing away football fans. Football is the only show in town (not that that's necessarily a good thing, it's just our reality).

I've been impressed with the Sioux's ball-hawking and taking advantage of almost every break this year. If they weren't playing with that intensity, no telling what their record would be. Sounds like USF may offer some chances at more turnovers.

Talking about fan dedication..... In Lincoln (where we play this week), Nebraska has sold out their stadium every game for THIRTY YEARS. I don't know what that stadium holds, but it's got to be in the 70-80,000 category. That is an amazing record. I hope we jump on them early to quiet that crowd. Here's hoping we both quiet some crowds this week.

GO SIOUX GO RED RAIDERS GUNS UP!!

That's one thing we don't have to worry about down here - hockey games drawing away football fans. Football is the only show in town (not that that's necessarily a good thing, it's just our reality).

I've been impressed with the Sioux's ball-hawking and taking advantage of almost every break this year. If they weren't playing with that intensity, no telling what their record would be. Sounds like USF may offer some chances at more turnovers.

Talking about fan dedication..... In Lincoln (where we play this week), Nebraska has sold out their stadium every game for THIRTY YEARS. I don't know what that stadium holds, but it's got to be in the 70-80,000 category. That is an amazing record. I hope we jump on them early to quiet that crowd. Here's hoping we both quiet some crowds this week.

You're a good guy Tech. Thanks for the support.

Go Huskers