SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. St. Cloud State

CoteauRinkRat

I am in shock ricgt now! How the hell did this happen :angry: ? Good job UND. As a SCSU fan that is hard to say but that was one hell of a game. Depressing :D but exciting. UND and SCSU players are class SUTDENT ATHLETES unlike a certain school just south of you. I could not take a loss like this to them. But anyway good luck the rest of the year!

That game will go down as one of the greatest comebacks in UND history. Joe Wilson played out of his mind.

He looked like he ought to be the starting QB. If he can play like that consistently, we wouldn't lose many games.

Glas got some major redemption today. A 52 yarder to win the game. Amazing.

Gosh I thought we were down and out after the first half.

In fact, I was calling for whoever tells the QB which play to call, whether the head coach or the offensive coordinator, to be fired. I mean comon, how many screen passes can you throw before bad things start happening?

For those of you who watched the game, you notice the short game served only to take time off the clock. We started winning the game as soon as we started looking further than 5 yeards down the field.

In my mind, we should not have won this game. We weren't playing D. We played O in the second half well enough, but it was shakey for a while. Joe Wilson and Glas won this game for us. Plain and simple.

We got lucky folks.

Wow, am I glad I didn't leave at halftime! I have to admit that at halftime, I was thinking to myself that it was like the end of the Behrns era/early Thomas era all over again. It was an equally terrible performance by the offense and defense. But it was truly an incredible turnaround in the second half. I told a friend of mine at halftime that all we needed was Frank Reich to come in at qb--referring to the famous comeback by the Bills against the Oilers in that playoff game in the early 90's. It turns out that Wilson played the Reich role perfectly! I have to eat crow with regard to Wilson because prior to this game, I didn't see the logic of having a seldom-used 6th year senior as the backup quarterback instead of an up-and-coming freshman. Obviously, I was wrong. Wilson can play. Great job, guys! Now if we could only get rid of the bubble screens/0 yard passes to the wide-outs and running backs, I would be really happy!

BTW, kudos to Randy Hedberg and staff for an incredible turnaround in the fortunes of the SCSU football program. A few years back, that was a struggling program. Now, they are clearly one of the best in the league and really seem to be a classy group. Best of luck to them the rest of the year.

That was an incredible turnaround. The UND defensive line was absolutely manhandled in the first half. I thought the offense could score some points in the second half if Bowenkamp could ever locate an open receiver, but the way St. Cloud manhandled our defensive line in the first half, I thought they'd be able to run the ball well enough to hold us off.

Bubba Schweigert did a masterful job of making adjustments that thoroughly confused St. Cloud in the second half. UND's OLBs started coming on the blitz then peeling off and covering the backs in the flats and there were a couple of times on third down where we only rushed three and dropped eight into coverage and Heckendorf had nowhere to throw the ball.

It's pretty obvious that Wilson should be the starting QB the rest of the year. I realize it's easier to come off the bench and play when you're down and have nothing to lose, but Wilson sees the field and finds the open guy and Bowenkamp just isn't doing that right now.

At some point this team has got to show up in the first quarter. This has been going on for a season and a half now and needs to end if the Sioux are going to contend for the league title. I think a big part of it is offensive play calling. St. Cloud runs a reverse pass on there first play and is aggressive throwing the ball down the field, we run an inside trap and a WR screen and punt. UND needs to take more chances on offense early in the game and establish some momentum.

I didn't see the logic of having a seldom-used 6th year senior as the backup quarterback instead of an up-and-coming freshman.

Serious question. How is this even possible to have a sixth year senior playing? How does he get by the NCAA 10 semester/15 quarter eligibility rule?

I'm not sure about the 6th year thing, but you can redshirt and also receive a medical redshirt/hardship also, so you can be with a program for six years.

I'm not sure, but when the NCAA grants a medical hardship, the 10 semester rule is waived. I"m not sure if this is the case for Joe Wilson, but that is what i'm thinking.

What a game, the best game I have ever seen in person, no doubt about it. The funny thing is how there was absolutely nobody left on the west side of the stands.

So does Wilson start next week?

In this forum, we kept pointing to how Jeff Glas has to make some field goals, well he did that today.

UND needs to take more chances on offense early in the game and establish some momentum.

I totally agree with everything you said. Plus, what's happened to UND's vaunted depth at tight end? It was mentioned in the radio broadcast yesterday that the Sioux used their tight ends well as pass receivers against Crookston, and they haven't been used that way since.

That makes me wonder: Are the Sioux tight ends that easy to cover or is UND not running any plays that uses them as receivers? It's baffling to me.

I totally agree with everything you said. Plus, what's happened to UND's vaunted depth at tight end? It was mentioned in the radio broadcast yesterday that the Sioux used their tight ends well as pass receivers against Crookston, and they haven't been used that way since.

That makes me wonder: Are the Sioux tight ends that easy to cover or is UND not running any plays that uses them as receivers? It's baffling to me.

Or are they running pass routes where they are open, but the QB isn't finding them? Maybe someone that's been to all the home games can shed some light?

Or are they running pass routes where they are open, but the QB isn't finding them? Maybe someone that's been to all the home games can shed some light?

Also a good point. It just seems to me that UND's passing attack would be more effective by spreading out the passes to more receivers. But the Sioux throw almost exclusively to their wide receivers, which has to make the defense's job a lot easier.

I also have been baffled as to why there are not more passes thrown to the tight ends. For that matter, an occasional 5 to 10 yard pass to Wisthoff may be a good idea, as well. Yesterday's catch by Kussler was the first TE reception since UMC. If it's zone coverage, the tight end should always be able to find a soft spot. If it's man coverage, I would think Mielke's speed (although perhaps not the other tight ends) should be good enough to be able to beat a linebacker trying to cover him.

Good points about getting the TEs involved. It's been so long since they've been used in the passing game, that I forget to even pay attention to routes they're running, etc.

I still think the offense is too predictable based on the personnel on the field. With Roland in there you know it's going to be something between the tackles, with Strouth it's going to be an outside run, a draw, or a swing pass.

Case in point- the two point conversion play after UND cut the lead to 28-26. We run the first play (a pass) with 3 WRs and don't convert, but St. Cloud gets called for a penalty so the ball is moved to the 1 1/2 yard line for a second try. UND takes out the WRs and puts in Wisthoff and a couple of more TEs. Obviously we're going to a power formation to try to punch it in on the ground, and even more obvious, St. Cloud's going to be ready for it. I guarantee you that if we run a play action pass, there wouldn't be anyone within 8 yards of the TE in the back of the end zone.

When thinking about the game, look at how big the two extra points missed were along with stopping their two point conversion before the second half.

Not to second guess SCSU, but I didn't like the decision of them going for 2 after scoring that touchdown right before half. Easy to say that now.

Nice to see them actually throw the ball to Lueck, although he dropped three balls, he is an exciting player who makes things happen. I hope they continue to utilize a playmaker like that.

When thinking about the game, look at how big the two extra points missed were along with stopping their two point conversion before the second half.

Nice to see them actually throw the ball to Lueck, although he dropped three balls, he is an exciting player who makes things happen.  I hope they continue to utilize a playmaker like that.

Exactly, CRR, special teams plays were huge for us... Defensively and Offensively...

Lueck was noticeably frustrated. After one dropped pass, it looked like he was taking himself out of the game. Helmet off, doing the arm wave-off thing, shaking his head, etc. Everyone has bad games, I'm sure he'll be fine.

PLAY OF THE GAME: Wilson's heads up pass to convert the final fourth down and get into field goal range. It looked like he comitted to the rolling run, and at the last second hit a planted receiver on the sideline for a first down on the 35. Great job seeing the field. We all went crazy... one hell of a game. (Jeff Glas' field goal could also qualify for POTG :) )

PREDICTION: Wilson starts next week. (not really going out on a limb here)