SiouxSports.com Forum

First USCHO College hockey poll....

elmduf

Brown, Mercyhurst, Bemidji State... Wow. Next thing you know, UND Intramural hockey team will get a vote :angry:

It is nice to see that Maine is finally in an area of the polls that is more suitable for their talent. Last season, as far as regular season performance is concerned, Maine was the most overrated team on the ice. Of course, post season honors for that distinction went to UNH :D

I agree with most of the poll, but I'd still say we should be #4 and UNH #5

Brown, Mercyhurst, Bemidji State... Wow. Next thing you know, UND Intramural hockey team will get a vote :angry:

It is nice to see that Maine is finally in an area of the polls that is more suitable for their talent. Last season, as far as regular season performance is concerned, Maine was the most overrated team on the ice. Of course, post season honors for that distinction went to UNH :D

I agree with most of the poll, but I'd still say we should be #4 and UNH #5

Maine started last year 20-2-3. Then they collapsed. Then they got the Michigan draw. Ouch.

I am not sure, and someone can look up the stats, but I think most of Maine's losses come against unranked opponents. Providence gave them fits.

If you ask me, the Sioux and Maine should have had the same rank nationally last season because we both had a tenacity for losing games we shouldn't have had. We lost to the Gophers, they lost to BC.

Good to see the Dogs checking in at #15. I don't know who voted for Bemidji State, but it seems to me the credibility of a poll that gives top 15 votes to schools like Wisconsin, Brown and Mercyhurst should be called into question. Dogs ended last year at 14 but got no NCAA bid due to teams like that (especially from the MAAC) who were not even ranked in the top 50 in the Pairwise. But that was last year. Enough about that. This year I'll be looking for the Dogs to climb a few spots!! Saturday feels so close...and yet so far away...

It's my understanding that at least one team from every conference is automatically invited to participate in the NCAA regionals. Usually, it is the winner of the tourney that it holds, or is it just whoever wins the regular season gets the auto-bid?

Curious to see whether MAAC (now known as Atlantic Hockey) will still get the bid.

That's funny...the Bemidji State Beavers actually got votes. When did politics creep into college hockey? I could be mistaken, are they loaded with blue chippers this year? :angry:

hmmmm....beavers......

Politics? IN hockey? C'mon just look at Hobey awards and seeds at the end of season, if that ain't politics, I'm a JBSU fan!

WPoS

I think you're right, RedWing. The MAAC receives an auto-bid. I think they send their tourney winner to the NCAA's. Even though they expanded, there's always going to be those bubble teams that end up on the outside looking in. Unless they invite a ridiculuos number 64 like for basketball. Then the MAAC might have TWO teams get in. :angry: I'm not saying that the MAAC should not be considered, I'm just saying that when a team that is not even in the top 50 in the nation is invited to the NCAA's in place of a team in the top 15 or 20, I'm not sure what kind of a tournament you have. What purpose did serving Mercyhurst up for lunch in the first round serve? How does that help the MAAC feel any better about themselves as a conference, seeing their best team drubbed 9-2 in the first round (allbeit to the eventual National Champion and high powered Gophers)? I guess that College football is having the same problem with some of their conferences not being BCS eligible. I think they should have the same opportunity as the other teams, but I don't think that giving them a free pass is the way to go. If they deserve a bid, give them one. If not, give it to a team that does.

There's a difference between those teams who are not BCS eligible (Like Marshall) and the MAAC, now Atlantic Hockey. Marshall wins games, shows time and time again that they are contenders but they don't get considered because the only time they face real opponents is when it is non conference time. But I don't want to go DI football on a DI hockey site.

In any case, these teams in the MAAC don't have the recruiting power, the insight and practical experience that the big teams have. They also don't have the operating budget the big teams have so their coaches cannot get far out to recruit. WCHA, CCHA, and HE teams beat them to the top prospects 9 out of 10 times, with the rest of the top prospects going major junior. They may get some marginal prospects or some solid hockey players, but we aren't talking Vanek, Parise, Crosby quality.

I can see where NCAA hockey is trying to be: They want to have teams from all over the country compete at a high level and eventually expand the tournament even further (24-32 teams). The MAAC deal is just the first step. I guess when you look at it from their perspective it starts to make a little more sense. But until more schools can lure talent away from Major-Juniors, there will not be enough to make the Atlantic Hockey (AH?) competitive. My question is this:

Is an automatic bid enough to give teams in the AH the recruiting power they need to be successful on a national scale, or are we just diluting the NCAA field with sub-par competition at this point?

I can see where NCAA hockey is trying to be: They want to have teams from all over the country compete at a high level and eventually expand the tournament even further (24-32 teams). The MAAC deal is just the first step. I guess when you look at it from their perspective it starts to make a little more sense. But until more schools can lure talent away from Major-Juniors, there will not be enough to make the Atlantic Hockey (AH?) competitive. My question is this:

Is an automatic bid enough to give teams in the AH the recruiting power they need to be successful on a national scale, or are we just diluting the NCAA field with sub-par competition at this point?

Diluting and taking chances of appearnce form schools programs that have a chance!

WPoS

Autobids=college hockey's version of affirmative action. It's got some merits, but every year excludes teams that have a chance in favor of some creampuffs.

I don't think that the #14, #15 and #16 teams in the PWR really can be considered as having a chance. Sacrificing these teams in favor of the champions of some of the weaker leagues might be a good investment if it helps to bring more elite players to these weaker leagues, thereby hopefully (in the long term) making these leagues less weak. Just my $0.02

I don't think that the #14, #15 and #16 teams in the PWR really can be considered as having a chance. Sacrificing these teams in favor of the champions of some of the weaker leagues might be a good investment if it helps to bring more elite players to these weaker leagues, thereby hopefully (in the long term) making these leagues less weak. Just my $0.02

We'll see if you truly believe in this argument next time UND finishes #16 in the PWR & are excluded at the expense of some team like Mercyhurst or Niagara. Sioux fans would be outraged & there'd probably be a contract put out on the entire NCAA selection committee :angry:

We'll see if you truly believe in this argument next time UND finishes #16 in the PWR & are excluded at the expense of some team like Mercyhurst or Niagara. Sioux fans would be outraged & there'd probably be a contract put out on the entire NCAA selection committee :D

I have faith that they'll never finish that high in the PWR again. :angry:

Seriously, I'd probably be upset initially, but on reflection I'd realize that they would have no one to blame but themselves. The criteria are iron-clad and everyone knows what they are. There is no favoritism, there are no extenuating circumstances. Everyone knows what they need to do to get in, so they just need to take care of business.

First of all there are only something like 61 D1 hockey teams, so going to a tournament of 24 or even 32 would be insane. While teams that finish 15 and 16 in the PWRmay not have a great chance at winning a NC...they have a better one than anyone from the MAAC/AH or the CHA. Teams like Providence, Michigan St. and Duluth proved they can play with the BC's and Minnesota's last year and I think that they deserved a shot. I don't like the autobids for the weaker conferences, as it is mearly a bump in the road for two of the top 4 teams. I think that until AH and the CHA prove that they can put one or two teams up in the top 20 of the PWR...they shouldn't get an autobid. I know they have them for a reason...I just don't agree with them.

I also don't see how it helps recruiting..."Come to Mercyhurst, where you can get in the NCAA tournament only to get your a$$ kicked by a team like North Dakota or Boston College."

But it does help in recruiting. How else are the Bemidjis, UAHs, and Niagaras of the hockey community suppose to get better if they can't get in some quality recruits. It is a double edge sword: You don't deserve to be in the Big Dance because your conference isn't good enough, but they aren't going to get better if they have nothing to offer the recruits. "Yeah, you can come to our school, play out the season and have nothing to play for at the end". At least with the autobid there, you can get some recruits in by telling them they have a chance of making the Big Dance by winning the conference tournament.

And please don't lump the CHA with Atlantic Hockey. At least all the programs in the CHA have committed to giving hockey a full run. None of this half a##ed stuff like only 11 scholorships, etc.