25 members have voted

1. 1. UND top player of the Year...

• #19 Ryan Bayda
    • #7 Brandon Bochen$ki
    • #30 Jake Brandt
    • #1 Josh Siembida
    • #18 Tim Skarparude
    • #4 David Hale

No question, Tim Skarperud was the one-and-ONLY positive surprise for UND this season.  He played his heart out and became the leader this team was lacking.

However, Bayda would be the choice for "Unsung hero," as he once again comes in just below first place in scoring, but is a real force out there on the ice.

What about DUDS OF THE YEAR?  R. Connelly gets my vote.  He probably won't be back.  What about Spiewak?  Very poor showing for a junior who scored 15 as a freshman and had only 17 pts going into this final week.

I'm a Bayda guy.  I hope he doesn't leave.  This guy plays his guts out on the ice.  Skarp would be my other vote for top player this year.

As for unsung hero, I probably vote for R Hale.  Not much for points but I have never seen the guy going half-way and he is VERY strong on the puck.

I think he has a chance to put up some numbers next year.

I'd have to agree with Bayda, although I like Skarp's efforts in the second half of this disaster of a season.  If Bayda had linemates who could keep up with him mentally and emotionally, I think he and the team would have put up more points.  I hope he stays, as I think the team will (and needs to) mature, plus a pairing with Parise would probably be powerful.  He also has my nod for "C" even though he should have had it this season IMO.

I was kind of hoping that Skarps appeal will go through but Blais already said that it will probably be rule against. IN other words Tims last game is probably tonight. Sad moment eh?

It's not only the numbers that Skarperud put up, but also the fact that all of the coaches say that he has taken on a leadership role in the locker room as well, becoming more vocal.  Bayda always works hard, and I would be disappointed to see anyone but him get the C next year.

What about Spiewak?  Very poor showing for a junior who scored 15 as a freshman and had only 17 pts going into this final week.

I thought Spiewak played very well this season. His point total doesn't show how much he contributed to the team.

I would like to see him on the first line next year.

I thought Spiewak played very well this season. His point total doesn't show how much he contributed to the team.

I would like to see him on the first line next year.

Siouxhockey,

I think someone else made that statement, becasue I like what Kevin brings to the table he is a checker with great wheels. We need defensive players, he compliments Noterman, I hope they keep those two together.

Only one defenseman played in every game this year.

It wasn't Mazurak or Schneekloth. They both missed time with injuries.

It wasn't David Hale. He missed a few.

Andy Schneider duked up a Manitoba Bison and missed the opener plus a game at CC.

Nick Fuher didn't solidify his line-up position until the second half.

Leinweber was in and out of the line-up also.

Only Matt Jones played all 37 games this year.

Except no one really noticed him out there. But isn't that the way it is supposed to be with a defensive minded defenseman? ???

Only one defenseman played in every game this year.

It wasn't Mazurak or Schneekloth. They both missed time with injuries.

It wasn't David Hale. He missed a few.

Andy Schneider duked up a Manitoba Bison and missed the opener plus a game at CC.

Nick Fuher didn't solidify his line-up position until the second half.

Leinweber was in and out of the line-up also.

Only Matt Jones played all 37 games this year.

Except no one really noticed him out there. But isn't that the way it is supposed to be with a defensive minded defenseman? ???

Actually I heard that David Hales Kidneys are in bad shape after being sick last summer.

I heard Tim Hennesy talk about Siedieve might not be here till the year after next, does anyone know about this?

Sicatoka, I will say that I like Matt Jones.

That said, I did notice him when I watched the reply of some of the action this weekend.  

I thought Matt got burned around the corner, was caught trying to poke check the puck instead of take the man, and on a 2 on 1 on Friday, was indecisive as to whether to take the shooter or the other guy and ended up somewhere in between, leading to Riddle's goal.

Pretty dangerous for me to make these statements as I did not play hockey nor am I knowledgeable enough to know if I am absolutely right.  But in watching his play I did not think he had a strong weekend.

Now, if you or Sprig or others with more knowledge disagree with me, I am always happy to learn more about the game.

I repeat, I do think he has had a good year for a rookie and am glad he is on the team.

I seldom question a defenseman's actions on a 2 on 1. Trust me, they don't want to be there. Remember, they should be "X on 2" at worst. Do you see where I'm going with that statement .... ???

It looked like all the defensemen were getting beat around the corner late Saturday. Can you say "gassed"?

How old is he? Didn't he have kind of a big injury earlier this year?

I am not sure. I bet we could get some clarificaition from someone about this. I sure if you called Tim in the morning on KKXL 1440 he could answer the question.

Sicatoka, fair questions.

However, with a full compliment of D men, he shouldn't have been in any worse shape than anyone else out there, from either team.  OR, was Blais playing primarily a couple of the D pairings?  In that case I could understand if he was running out of juice.

To add on to Goon's comment about calling Tim H. - I caught the tailend of Tim H. and Coach Blais this morning on the radio - it sounded like Coach Blais will be on sports talk on Wednesday night (season final) - maybe that will be discussed.

Dagies,

You are right, he gets caught poke checking with his weight a bit to far forward and gets burned on occasion. Happened a few time this weekend.

In the Sat. Denver game I went to the first and only Denver goal was a result of a Jonesey lunge poke-check that led to a 2 on 1. He does have a lot of defensive talent, however, and I think we'll see less of that in the coming years.

I would imagine that if you called the coaches show coach Blais would probably be able to answer questions on players that have signed just not on players that haven't signed LOI.

Very rarely do people call but, they do welcome them. Blais is a stand up guy I am sure he would love to answer the questions. Also if you call in the morning on KKXL Tim and Swig answer questions reguarding the hockey season, Ryan Bakken comes on the air on Monday mornings at about 9:00a.m.