SiouxSports.com Forum

Who will be the C and A's ?

AZSIOUX

I noticed Brad had a mention on his blog. Lets throw some names around and see what everyone thinks for the C and A's with a brief reason for each

ill start it off with these, im pretty sure we will see the first 3 guys names in some fashion but the 4th guy is a toss up to me. my sleeper is gregoire but hextall or malone could sneak in there as well. no doubt hextall and lamoureux will wear letters someday but for now ill go with my 4 below

C - Genoway, could be the most dynamic offensive d man in the nation. I also look for a serious Hobey run from Chay

A - VandeVelde, really came along late last season all around and seems to be primed for a great senior season

A - Zajac, Darcy has his teammates backs in all instances. isnt a guy who will put up huge offensive numbers but will play a solid 2 way game every night and get dirty

A - Gregoire, just seems to have that quiet leadership in him. like i said above this one is a toss up to me but ill guess gregoire

PER BRAD

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

Captains under Hakstol:

2004-05: Matt Greene, JR

2005-06: Matt Smaby, JR

2006-07: Chris Porter, SR

2007-08: Rylan Kaip, SR

2008-09: Ryan Duncan, SR

c - vande velde... not a knock on chay at all as i think both would make great captains, but i think being a senior helps, and the fact that he is they type of player who seems to fit the sioux captain mold, tough and quiet. he plays hurt and plays hard.

a - genoway, will be one of the best offensive dmen in the nation, and i think will be part of the glue for a young d corp this season.

a - zajac. he's solid game in, game out. not flashy, but makes the team a hell of a lot better.

if they give out a third a, my heart says hextall because i love what the kid brings, but i doubt they will give a sophmore a letter (unless your last name is toews, and i don't see david with a letter, but i do predict a breakout season), so i would say malone or gregoire.

An 'A' should go to an underclassman who showed poise and leadership in pressure situations. I know that goalies rarely get the 'C' or an 'A' but I don't think any underclassman had as much to do with the teams success as Eidsness. And certainly, no one was on the ice as many minutes or with the expectations as he had as a freshman. I'll take him as my darkhorse even though he is a considerable long shot.

Vande or Chay wears the C and whoever doesn't get it gets an A. For the second two A's, I would say Lamoureux, Hextall, or Gregoire. All three of them are leaders in their own way and I could see them grooming Gregoire to wear the C one year aka Duncan. Zajac has too many times where he is short-tempered and is controlled by his emotions for me. I can see Eids getting a chance but that is too much of a dark horse for me to choose him.

Vande or Chay wears the C and whoever doesn't get it gets an A. For the second two A's, I would say Lamoureux, Hextall, or Gregoire. All three of them are leaders in their own way and I could see them grooming Gregoire to wear the C one year aka Duncan. Zajac has too many times where he is short-tempered and is controlled by his emotions for me. I can see Eids getting a chance but that is too much of a dark horse for me to choose him.

Kind of reminds me of a guy named Prpich. And I don't know how many of you saw Hakstol as a captain. Same deal. No way that DQ's someone from being voted as captain.

Not directed at you... when did the Sioux start having 3 A's? Why stop there? Why not 4? Or 5? This isn't high school where sometimes it seems like everyone has a letter on their chest. Hockey has traditionally had a C and two A's. Why change it?

Kind of reminds me of a guy named Prpich. And I don't know how many of you saw Hakstol as a captain. Same deal. No way that DQ's someone from being voted as captain.

Not directed at you... when did the Sioux start having 3 A's? Why stop there? Why not 4? Or 5? This isn't high school where sometimes it seems like everyone has a letter on their chest. Hockey has traditionally had a C and two A's. Why change it?

UND started having three A's about two or three years ago.....two years ago Oshie was the third A until he got in trouble and it was taken away. And I agree that Zajac can remind people of Prpich, so does Hextall, however I have seen Zajac be worse than that....I never saw Hak as captain so I am not sure about him. This is just my opinion as far as captains go and the guys very rarely go with me.

UND started having three A's about two or three years ago.....two years ago Oshie was the third A until he got in trouble and it was taken away. And I agree that Zajac can remind people of Prpich, so does Hextall, however I have seen Zajac be worse than that....I never saw Hak as captain so I am not sure about him. This is just my opinion as far as captains go and the guys very rarely go with me.

What are you talking about? :lol:

Just different times when he has lost his temper over little things that wouldn't have bothered Prpich and things that most of the guys let go such as when somebody said something to him....you know, learning to control your temper.

I don't know about that.

Zajac is fiery as all get out, sure, but the player that I think you are eluding to (letting anger get the better of him and taking stupid penalties because of that) was actually more of Radke's style than Zajac's. Zajac is mellower, IMO, than Radke or Prpich. In fact, when I watched Commodore play, he was much more prone to rage and taking stupid penalties. Greene was actually punished by Hak for stupid penalties at one point.

I remember hearing about officials that would critique UND defensemen play (I think that came out in an interview with a UND D... Can't remember if it was Commodore, Smaby, Greene, Hale, Schneider, or Matt Jones). They'd say "Now you're playing better." Seriously... but that's a different rant.

Zajac is a fine choice for an A. He's a team guy. He plays Team hockey. He stands up for Teammates. The only thing I don't know is what he's like off the ice and in the lockerroom during games.