SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey News: An Early Top 10 for 2009-10

Goon

So we are to believe that Minnesota who didn't even qualify for the NCAA tourney and lot their best players is going to be better than the Sioux and I am sorry Cornell and Princeton are NOT better than UND. I suppose since Wodon went to Cornell he can't see past his EZAC bias. This is only a little better than INCH pre-season top ten. I think UND is going to fly under the radar again. If anything I can't believe that Wisconsin isn't getting any more love they are actually on paper one of the more talented teams in the country.

10. Lowell

9. North Dakota -- There are other possibilities for these last two slots, like Northern Michigan, Boston College, New Hampshire -- and particularly St. Cloud State (assuming everyone returns). But North Dakota is a team that has proven to consistently find its way into the Top 10 no matter what, every season, and with junior Chris VandeVelde (and his 18 goals) stating his intention to return, and with goalie Brad Eidsness expected to take a step forward from his .906 save percentage, there's no reason to believe the Sioux can't be back here again.

8. Minnesota -- There are two huge keys here, obviously. One, Jordan Schroeder has to decide to stay. He'll be drafted highly in the upcoming NHL Draft, and if he stays, like BU's Colin Wilson did, then all is well. The other is goalie Alex Kangas, who took a big step backward last season, after a pretty good start. Does he become just another Minnesota goalie thrown to the scrap heap? Another flash in the pan that goes nowhere? Or does he turn into a four-year backbone? If those two things work out in Minnesota's favor, it will be fine.

7. Princeton

6. Michigan

5. Boston University

4. Cornell

3. Miami

2. Notre Dame

1. Denver -- The Pioneers look stacked for a big run, assuming (again) that everyone comes back that's supposed to. Rhett Rakhshani and Tyler Ruegsegger already say they're returning. Throw in the likes of Patrick Wiercioch -- who dazzled as a freshman defenseman last year -- Marc Cheverie in net, and more scoring punch from Luke Salazar and Kyle Ostrow, and Denver is as healthy as ever. Keeping things in one piece, and keeping it together for a whole season, have been elusive concepts lately for Denver, but it has fewer questions marks and more talent than any team going into next season.

So we are to believe that Minnesota who didn't even qualify for the NCAA tourney and lot their best players is going to be better than the Sioux and I am sorry Cornell and Princeton are NOT better than UND. I suppose since Wodon went to Cornell he can't see past his EZAC bias. This is only a little better than INCH pre-season top ten. I think UND is going to fly under the radar again. If anything I can't believe that Wisconsin isn't getting any more love they are actually on paper one of the more talented teams in the country.

You really enjoy elevating the collective blood pressures here, don't you. :silly:

I still can't believe that these polls keep putting BU so high.

BU will be lucky to finish top 5 in Hockey East, let alone in the nation.

With how much firepower they lose, even BU fans are expecting a big downturn for next season.

With how much firepower they lose, even BU fans are expecting a big downturn for next season.

BU was a great team this season but they lost a tone of talent. I also have to say that with a few of our recruits coming in UND is going to be better than they were last season. So if the so called experts want to shower Princeton and Cornell with love so be it. I contend if they played in the WCHA they wouldn't be any better than our 5th or 6th place teams.

what is everyone getting so bent out of shape about? who cares where these sites think we'll finish or not finish. have the early pairwise rakings for next year come out yet? :silly:

Yeah I suppose your right and it isn't 2010 yet. :D but it gives us something to talk about. :)

I also don't understand why Cornell and Princeton are ranked so highly.

Yeah, they were alright last season, but they certainly didn't set anyone's hair on fire.

I also don't understand why Cornell and Princeton are ranked so highly.

Yeah, they were alright last season, but they certainly didn't set anyone's hair on fire.

I think that is a good question if they ACTUALLY played in a good league like the HE, WCHA or CCHA they wouldn't even probably be in the top five.

If they want to go ahead and think a couple a Ivys are on par with the likes of the WCHA/CCHA/Hockey East.... they can go right ahead. I know the truth. :silly: I'm still baffled by Minnesota. I can't get over it. I feel they should be listed under the "Could be good if Jordan Schroeder returns, Kangas stops sucking, and the rest of their players figure out how to contribute to an offense and play hockey." category, not a Top 10 list. I think there's a love affair with Minnesota. Thats a lot of IF's if you ask me. There are teams with less question marks that at this point, could be more legit than Minnesota. Someone brought up Wisconsin. Anyways, I'm over it. Carry on!

If they want to go ahead and think a couple a Ivys are on par with the likes of the WCHA/CCHA/Hockey East.... they can go right ahead. I know the truth. :silly: I'm still baffled by Minnesota. I can't get over it. I feel they should be listed under the "Could be good if Jordan Schroeder returns"

Funny thing that there is talk that Schroeder wants to sign after the draft.